“Our new favourite place to eat!!!”

Federal Delicatessen
Ranked #17 of 2,359 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: 'The Fed' is all about informality, fun and generosity. Think hand-cut speciality meats, cured lox, gourmet sandwiches deluxe salads & dessert pie by the slice.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Had been wanting to go to Federal Deli for ages, and finally had an excuse for a birthday treat with friends. What a cool place to eat out, great atmosphere, fantastic service, super friendly staff, and totally delicious food. We had to wait about 1/2 hour for a table but it didn't matter, we were well looked after and we had the really delicious schticks while we waited under the outdoor heaters which was really nice. We highly recommend this place for a great night out, it's busy, it's a happy place, it's yummmmmmm food, all of it, try as much of it as you can. We are definitely going back for more.

There are newer reviews for Federal Delicatessen

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I was in Auckland for a week of intense meetings so I'm ashamed to say I was too tired to explore much having been before several times. But on the food front, I didn't need to go far (stayed at Sky City Grand which is virtually next door). This place has an amazing, true diner atmosphere with kind and friendly staff who couldn't do enough for me on my several visits. On days when I didn't want to sit alone, their takeout option meant I had great food for a bed picnic! Their Reuben's is one of the best I've ever tasted, inside or outside of the US. Their house-made pastrami is heavenly - even just on its own in the plain sandwich. The creamy slaw with peanuts is wonderful too. And one night I went the extra mile for the lemon meringue pie. Wow! The cheesecake looked amazing too but I had to draw the line somewhere! I will be back to try it though. The best thing is that it seemed to have something for everyone - families, couples, groups of friends - and the lonely business traveller! A life raft for me on the other side of the world! Thank you!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I finally popped into Federal Delicatessen for breakfast on Saturday morning (along with the rest of Auckland). I wasn’t initially planning on eating there but it popped into my mind that I have actually been wanting to go to Federal Delicatessen for some time and kept mentioning it but never really felt in the mood to eat “crazy Jewish food”…how wrong was I?? This place is amazing!!!

It was instant sensory overload walking through the front door, we were met by a wall of welcoming heat, a hustle and bustle of people talking, noises of dishes clanging, chefs calling out orders and coffee machines steaming. We were greeted by one of the friendly 1950′s pin up girl waitresses and ushered past cute date tables and booth style seating to the only empty seats in this classic classic New York diner style restaurant.

I opted to continue the full American experience and started my breakfast with a cherry float, something I haven’t had since I was a kid and sipping at creamy fizzy cherry soda through a straw made me feel like a kid again. We then ordered the breakfast salad, latkes (salmon on crispy potato) and of course a huge plate of Poutine. Pouti-what you ask?? FRIES, GRAVY, CHEESE and OMG!! The best food created by man and basically a food group in itself! Do yourself a favour and try it ASAP. The Fed is the only place in Auckland I have seen poutine on the menu and they pull off a superb version.

Our well presented and delicious order arrived super fast, which surprised me considering how busy the place was. The dishes were simple but effectively displayed with care taken in the finer details, such as small tongs for the gravy covered fries and dishes neatly plated on retro style dishes. I thought I was going to explode due to the amount of food I had ingested but every bite was so amazing that I was talked into finishing with a classic lemon meringue pie (how could I leave a diner without having pie?). Yum!!! Another excellent decision. I should of got a takeaway slice for later too but thought better of it.

The well presented staff were professional and offered great service, we were seated fast, provided with menu’s and offered drinks and given time to ponder over what delights we wanted to order. Water was placed on the table and topped up literally every time a sip was taken from the cup, definitely worthy of a tip as I left.

Overall I was 100% impressed with Federal Delicatessen and don’t know why I didn’t get there sooner. The food was well priced and tasted amazing, the staff were professional and the whole place had a wonderful atmosphere. My only gripe is they serve a bottomless cup of coffee but I am not drinking coffee at the moment!!!!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just brilliant, went back again it was so good. Excellent service and staff, amazing food.Get the 3 pie combo for dessert,and share.Just like being in New York.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I went here for breakfast the other day and ordered the Salmon Latkes. This was potato latkes with cold smoked salmon, creme fraiche and dill. I was highly impressed by this dish. While the latkes were obviously fried, I didn't find them overly greasy. And the cold smoked salmon (cured in house, I believe) was absolutely fantastic. They weren't stingy with the salmon either. There was plenty to go with the latkes. I enjoyed their bottomless cup of coffee with this and was amused by the 'More?' printed on the bottom of my cup when I got there.

I was so impressed by the Federal that I returned for lunch a few hours later before my flight home. This time I had the toasted Reuben (pastrami, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and thousand island dressing on rye bread) and was not disappointed. Juicy, rich and finger-licking good, I enjoyed every morsel. It came with a small side of coleslaw and a pickle. I also ordered a root beer float to accompany it.

Consistently great, friendly service at this deli too. I told them they should open one in my home town of Christchurch (don't think we have any proper delis like that)! I will definitely be going back here the next time I'm in Auckland.