“Amazing food, very reasonable prices and relaxed atmosphere”

Wooden Board Kitchen
Ranked #335 of 2,305 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: European
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, very reasonable prices and relaxed atmosphere”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We've now been for both lunch and dinner at this restaurant. I don't tend to write reviews, but this place was so good both times I think it's worth sharing.
Perhaps because of the slightly tucked away location (on the other side of K road/on upper queen street) they've chosen to price their menu very reasonably, so I wasn't expecting that much. But wow the food was amazing!
At lunch I had the canaloni, with a glass of their house sav, both very nice.
At dinner we took the family, so I got to try a range - the sweet cornballs and honey roasted beetroot tarts were my favourites, but the mains were also excellent - tried the chicken (moist and tasty), the lamb (melt in your mouth) and fish (with tasty salsa).
Overall the restaurant had a nice, relaxed atmosphere and friendly casual service.
Will definitely be back and consider it for our staff xmas next year.

• Visited November 2013

Old Lyme, Connecticut
“Not that great”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Was interested in eating at this restaurant because they opened at 5:30 pm for dinner, which is early, and all 6 adults were hungry and a short walk from our hotel. Well, they may open at 5:30 but only one waiter/chef was there and he turned on the lights as we were walking in the door. Chef and waitress walked in at 6. Food was ok, but restaurant is very messy and run down. Would not go back.

Visited November 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Alright”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Very friendly staff but the atmosphere was a bit dull.
I had the squid to start, which I enjoyed.
My lamb and veg was delicious however my friend had the prawn spaghetti and she thought it was bland.
Overall, food was nice and staff friendly.

• Visited September 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Right, first some background, my wife and I booked into the Langham for our wedding anniversary and as a treat decided to eat at the Langham ‘Eight’ restaurant. However, on reflection of the $90 per head price tag I started looking around for alternatives and took a BIG chance on this place.

Luckily it wasn’t too far to walk and easy to find. We both really liked the simple decor and friendly staff but it was the food that absolutely stood out. I had the sea creatures and my wife had the Scallops for starters, both of which were fantastic, really fresh and cooked to perfection. Then I had the beef steak (skirt) and my wife had the lamb. My beef was nothing less than perfection on a plate, the chef had taken what is a cheap cut and turned it into what I thought was far better than fillet! My wife’s lamb was also delicious with a great selection of veges cooked and seasoned beautifully.

All in all, we both agreed that we had one of the best meals in a very long time and I don’t say this lightly as we have eaten whilst staying in most of the European countries and many parts of Asia. My advice, get in while you can! Oh, and finally, a special mention to the chef, he has a great future ahead him I’m sure and it was a pleasure to eat 5 star food at an affordable price.

• Visited October 2013