“I wanted to be blown away but it didn't happen...”

Wooden Board Kitchen
Ranked #401 of 2,359 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: European
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We found a deal online so off we went with a hop, skip and a jump. The place was packed out but we were promptly seated which made for a good start. But then it stopped there.

We spent most of our night just waiting and waiting. We waited patiently for someone to take our order and when they finally did, we hoped to get our drinks not long after but that took the best part of 30mins to appear ( a coke and a wine?!) When we finally got the scallop starters, we were so hungry that it didn't feel like it was enough. Then we waited for heaven and earth for the mains. None of the wait staff seemed to bother or let us know what was going on. We were ready to chew our napkins off when the mains arrived. It was ok. My prawn spaghetti was pleasant but not brilliant. My partner's lamb was good, just not fabulous.

With all the endless, mindless waiting around and staff who could show just a bit more interest, it dampened the evening somewhat.

This could be a great restaurant but they need to get their timing right and employ staff who are better trained.

There are newer reviews for Wooden Board Kitchen

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We ate here two nights running the food was so good. The starters are excellent. We tried 3 different main course choices; the lamb shoulder, the roast chicken in lemon and thyme, the skirt steak. All were outstanding, well presented on wooden boards, and accompanied by a selection of vegetables cooked to perfection. The chocolate lava dessert is amazing! The house Merlot, available by the glass or the bottle, is a good choice. The small team of 3 work extremely hard to make this restaurant a success, and their efforts seem to be producing results with a good number in for dinner each night. Deserves to be much higher than it's lowly position on Tripadvisor due to only a few ratings, and hopefully that will change as more people discover this great little restaurant near to the Langham hotel.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We've now been for both lunch and dinner at this restaurant. I don't tend to write reviews, but this place was so good both times I think it's worth sharing.
Perhaps because of the slightly tucked away location (on the other side of K road/on upper queen street) they've chosen to price their menu very reasonably, so I wasn't expecting that much. But wow the food was amazing!
At lunch I had the canaloni, with a glass of their house sav, both very nice.
At dinner we took the family, so I got to try a range - the sweet cornballs and honey roasted beetroot tarts were my favourites, but the mains were also excellent - tried the chicken (moist and tasty), the lamb (melt in your mouth) and fish (with tasty salsa).
Overall the restaurant had a nice, relaxed atmosphere and friendly casual service.
Will definitely be back and consider it for our staff xmas next year.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Was interested in eating at this restaurant because they opened at 5:30 pm for dinner, which is early, and all 6 adults were hungry and a short walk from our hotel. Well, they may open at 5:30 but only one waiter/chef was there and he turned on the lights as we were walking in the door. Chef and waitress walked in at 6. Food was ok, but restaurant is very messy and run down. Would not go back.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Very friendly staff but the atmosphere was a bit dull.
I had the squid to start, which I enjoyed.
My lamb and veg was delicious however my friend had the prawn spaghetti and she thought it was bland.
Overall, food was nice and staff friendly.