“Interesting experience for a fusion Chinese place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mandarin Dumpling & Bar - CLOSED

Mandarin Dumpling & Bar
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Interesting experience for a fusion Chinese place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

First time here... all I could say it's rather interesting place to be for a fusion Chinese meal.

I think overall the atmosphere is designed to be a "bar" as the name suggested, hence it's a little dark with candles. So don't expect a super bright and loud restaurant like your typical Chinese restaurant. We had no problem reading menu.

The food is pretty good, it's designed to be fusion hence it's a little different but still very delicious. We had the dumplings (which is great) and the xiao-long-bao (average as not "soupy" enough for my standard), crispy chicken wing and ox-tongue salad (both are delicious!). I am Chinese so I know what authentic good Chinese meals are like...

Good selection of drinks (wine, beers etc) although most of them you have to buy a bottle.

Although I must say it's slightly on the pricey side, perhaps I was comparing to the typical Chinese restaurant which is alot cheaper?! I will be back again but probably more for bar experience with finger food rather than a full Chinese meal which you can get elsewhere with better price.

Auckland
“Take a Torch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Just come back from lunch at the Mandarin Restaurant off Fort Lane. First impression were of a dark but up market kind of looking place. Jokingly I put my phone torch on but can see others have done the same. We were shown to a table which was behind a curtain and I got the impression served as a store room when the restaurant wasn't so busy. I cant say to much about the service either way though the waiter seemed to know his way around the menu and was very clear on what was not available. The food came out over a period of about 40 minutes which I felt was unacceptable but when it did arrive it was tasty especially the beef. Unfortunately the portion sizes were very small and the price very expensive.
I think this may be a place people like to be seen and are willing to pay for. I have to say there are far better value for money restaurants.

1 Thank AucklandJonathan
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I had purchased the grab one deal for a dinner for me and my husband.
After reading all the reviews on here I stared to dread, what have i got myself into? its meant to be a date night! I will list below the general concerns people have listed and how I experienced it and you can make up your mind, but i think it is worth the visit!

It’s too dark ………….. not on our visit
I wear glasses and had no problem in the light to read the menu
We had a much older couple sit next to us who also had no problem at all!

Its draftey and cold. ………….. not on our visit
It is Summer! I found the breeze refreshing, though it did start to get cold when it started to rain and guess what they closed the doors!

There were no menus………….. not on our visit
When we sat down to a table of two there were two menus and 1 drinks menu as to be expected. I noticed also at reception a stack of menus so not sure how they would be hard to find?
Also the older couple next to us admitted to the waiter they had never been before, he patiently talked them through the meals and how best to order if there big eaters or not and that they could continue to order throughout the meal if they wanted more.

The manager is not nice. ………….. not on our visit
What really?
The guy who maître d kindly told us at 7pm that they were full, were experiencing larger crowds than normal as it was the second to last day you could use the grab one voucher.
But he talk our name and cell phone and promised to call in 30-45min if a table became available or to let us know an update.
He called 37 min later and we had a table, when we arrived he made us feel so welcome even knowing we were grab one voucher users.

They charge you things not from our table. ………….. not on our visit
My partner just went in to pay without looking at the bill and as I had read on here concerns, I went to grab it to check, the maître d says please ensure you check the receipt it always pays to as we are only human. And how honest and refreshing is that?

The food:
We had
Pork and Prawn Sui Mai – The prawns were good chunks, just how I like it, it was moist and full of flavour!
Beef and coriander Dumplings – I normally don’t like beef Dumplings but these were my Favourite of the nite, it was just cooked perfectly and packed with flavour
Prawn, Crab and Squid ink Dumplings - were good and the visual effect was stunning
BBQ Turn over – I didn’t know what to expect here, but was tender BBQ pork rolled in filo type pasty. was delicate and a great start to our meal.
Taiwanese pork Sausage with Kombu and white sesame – This dish was just stunning, the flavour, the texture it was a dish my husband and I fought over!
Crispy chicken wings – and yes they were crispy but they still managed to remain moist in the inside. I also loved how they were not sticky or oily as you would normally eat these with your hands, you’re not left embarrassed trying to wash it off in a restaurant, thank you.
Broccoli and confit garlic. This dish was $18 and exactly as described with a couple carrots thrown in, was nice and had the garlic punch but the only one dish that I was left wondering why so expensive?

Overall it was a romantic night with my husband, eating delicious, fresh fragrant food and completely hassle free

“Dissapointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Well where do we start. Had to ask for menus as only 3 on a table for 8 of us. As others have said very dark so the phone torches came in handy. Initially waitress was clearly not happy to be there. We proceeded to order after taking some time to decide what we wanted and then the waitress went through what was not available which included any beef and fish dishes. So prawn and chicken it was. We ordered some drinks including a bottle of wine and low and behold she came back to tell us that wine was unavailable. We were upgraded to a superior wine at the same price, at our own request. Before long she was back again to tell us the broccoli we had ordered was unavailable also. It was becoming laughable. Lucky we all have a great sense of humour. So she offered us a different veg selection which for the record never turned up. To top it all the food came in dribs and drabs and whilst tasty for what it was the prices exceeded the quality. To cap it all there was a couple of extras on the bill which after waiting 20 mins to see the 'manager' on duty after being told 2 mins, were removed. He gave some excuses for the poor service we had experienced but after we made the suggestion, he review the bill, we were offered a good discount. Overall it was a fun night because we had to laugh but not a good impression what so ever. Clearly some major flaws in this operation. I hope they take this as constructive feedback.

Auckland, New Zealand
“Trendy, dark, fusion eatery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Set in a dark, Chinese decored 'cavern', the food here isn't great authentic Chinese food but it is great fusion/White Chinese food. Dishes are a bit pricey, however they come out real quick. Get the spare ribs and the xiao long bao because they are yum.