“Claustrophobia remedy”

Cuisines: Chinese
Perth, Australia
“Claustrophobia remedy”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

It was lovely Friday lunch time... That all good I can tell about this experience.
We got a voucher form relatives and it was my best half birthday.
Not the easiest place to find for beginning.
New York style decor...
In addition to very dark lighting everything is painted black
Nothing Chinese except chopsticks, service and approach (see bellow)
Need a torch to walk in.
We did presented voucher on entrance and were seated straight away as a place was nearly empty.
No drinks were ordered but wine list is ranging in $40-70 limits.
Food ordered
- caramelized walnuts - nothing Asian at all, too sweet and definitely not fresh made.
- Shredded chicken salad - unbelievable hot tested as Korean yam chi.
- dumplings - ordinary, reheated. Eatable but not the best option for $12 portion of 4 small pieces made somewhere in Manukau and steamed from frost
- Tuatua stir fry - absolutely testless 6 pieces of mussels with some veggies.

That's all folks - $86 for a half food left barely touched.

But the best surprise was reserved for the end.
When we tried to paid our bill badly speaking Chinese manager said that vouchers were canceled so we need to pay full amount.
Totally ruined day...
Recommended only if you want a remedy from claustrophobia.

1 Thank cptblack

Madrid
“Downstairs dumplings”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

It is hard to find the restaurant. A mixture of NY and Shanghai decoration. Dumplings are very tasty, not as good as in Din Tai Fun, but give them a try. Perfect service.

Visited February 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Interesting experience for a fusion Chinese place!”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

First time here... all I could say it's rather interesting place to be for a fusion Chinese meal.

I think overall the atmosphere is designed to be a "bar" as the name suggested, hence it's a little dark with candles. So don't expect a super bright and loud restaurant like your typical Chinese restaurant. We had no problem reading menu.

The food is pretty good, it's designed to be fusion hence it's a little different but still very delicious. We had the dumplings (which is great) and the xiao-long-bao (average as not "soupy" enough for my standard), crispy chicken wing and ox-tongue salad (both are delicious!). I am Chinese so I know what authentic good Chinese meals are like...

Good selection of drinks (wine, beers etc) although most of them you have to buy a bottle.

Although I must say it's slightly on the pricey side, perhaps I was comparing to the typical Chinese restaurant which is alot cheaper?! I will be back again but probably more for bar experience with finger food rather than a full Chinese meal which you can get elsewhere with better price.

Auckland
“Take a Torch”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Just come back from lunch at the Mandarin Restaurant off Fort Lane. First impression were of a dark but up market kind of looking place. Jokingly I put my phone torch on but can see others have done the same. We were shown to a table which was behind a curtain and I got the impression served as a store room when the restaurant wasn't so busy. I cant say to much about the service either way though the waiter seemed to know his way around the menu and was very clear on what was not available. The food came out over a period of about 40 minutes which I felt was unacceptable but when it did arrive it was tasty especially the beef. Unfortunately the portion sizes were very small and the price very expensive.
I think this may be a place people like to be seen and are willing to pay for. I have to say there are far better value for money restaurants.

1 Thank AucklandJonathan
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it !”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I had purchased the grab one deal for a dinner for me and my husband.
After reading all the reviews on here I stared to dread, what have i got myself into? its meant to be a date night! I will list below the general concerns people have listed and how I experienced it and you can make up your mind, but i think it is worth the visit!

It’s too dark ………….. not on our visit
I wear glasses and had no problem in the light to read the menu
We had a much older couple sit next to us who also had no problem at all!

Its draftey and cold. ………….. not on our visit
It is Summer! I found the breeze refreshing, though it did start to get cold when it started to rain and guess what they closed the doors!

There were no menus………….. not on our visit
When we sat down to a table of two there were two menus and 1 drinks menu as to be expected. I noticed also at reception a stack of menus so not sure how they would be hard to find?
Also the older couple next to us admitted to the waiter they had never been before, he patiently talked them through the meals and how best to order if there big eaters or not and that they could continue to order throughout the meal if they wanted more.

The manager is not nice. ………….. not on our visit
What really?
The guy who maître d kindly told us at 7pm that they were full, were experiencing larger crowds than normal as it was the second to last day you could use the grab one voucher.
But he talk our name and cell phone and promised to call in 30-45min if a table became available or to let us know an update.
He called 37 min later and we had a table, when we arrived he made us feel so welcome even knowing we were grab one voucher users.

They charge you things not from our table. ………….. not on our visit
My partner just went in to pay without looking at the bill and as I had read on here concerns, I went to grab it to check, the maître d says please ensure you check the receipt it always pays to as we are only human. And how honest and refreshing is that?

The food:
We had
Pork and Prawn Sui Mai – The prawns were good chunks, just how I like it, it was moist and full of flavour!
Beef and coriander Dumplings – I normally don’t like beef Dumplings but these were my Favourite of the nite, it was just cooked perfectly and packed with flavour
Prawn, Crab and Squid ink Dumplings - were good and the visual effect was stunning
BBQ Turn over – I didn’t know what to expect here, but was tender BBQ pork rolled in filo type pasty. was delicate and a great start to our meal.
Taiwanese pork Sausage with Kombu and white sesame – This dish was just stunning, the flavour, the texture it was a dish my husband and I fought over!
Crispy chicken wings – and yes they were crispy but they still managed to remain moist in the inside. I also loved how they were not sticky or oily as you would normally eat these with your hands, you’re not left embarrassed trying to wash it off in a restaurant, thank you.
Broccoli and confit garlic. This dish was $18 and exactly as described with a couple carrots thrown in, was nice and had the garlic punch but the only one dish that I was left wondering why so expensive?

Overall it was a romantic night with my husband, eating delicious, fresh fragrant food and completely hassle free