“I will not go back”

Columbia Apartments
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The apartment is in poor condition as if the management team is not taking good care of the units. The bathroom is in very bad condition, there's a wood plank attached down the sink which isn't good idea because it gets damp every time one is using the sink.

Worst thing is if you forget your keys or left in your room, you will have to pay $15 dollar and they'll just give the keys to you without even assist you to your room. I have checked my account and they charged it in different account which is not columbia apartment's one. I don't know where the money goes to but if they keep charging the tenants $15 dollar everytime they forgot they keys, they should have accumulated a great amount of money and I would expect a better condition of the units.

unsatisfied tenant

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Farzana A

Reviewed 2 December 2010

started off terrible from the moment we entered the door, no one on reception and no buzzer to call, after about 5 mins someone turned up, could barely speak a word of english and then while we were filling out forms he buggered off for 10mins with no explaination of where he was going or when he would be back, came back with no apology or anything. then once in room great by a scungy dirty little hovel that hadnt been cleaned, no toliet paper or tv as advertised, dirty unclean beach and stove still with food stuck to the element, a massive hole in the wall and bare electric cable poking out of a socket, window had no latch so couldnt be latched shut,beds had been made but barely, hadnt even been tucked in. one bed was placed squarly in the middle of ther room with desk on far side but you couldnt walk around the bed as it was the same width as the room. a double no less. walls were covered with scuff marks and abrasions and massive stains on the carpet..
when confronted the man at the desk said the room was "under construction". i have never known a hotel/motel/hostel of any kind to rent out a room whislt it was under rennovation or construction, its is plain dangerous not to mention unprofessional. when i complained i was offered a 10% discount or my money back and for us to find alternative accomodation in downtown auckland...impossible the night of a big concert. so we had to keep the room.
next morning at checkout the owner/manager or whoever had no excuses for the state of the room and i demanded at least he give us a 25% discount it was horrible. i definately do not recommend staying in this disgusting pit. a wonder we didnt get sick. also the rooms only utensils were chopsticks and 1 knife and 1 fork...um we live in NZ not asia. dont know if the owners were aware of this...

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank boru_nz
Reviewed 1 December 2010

We had seen the other reviews on here before we booked... but we decided to take a chance at it was so cheap and the were very few hotels available for Auckland the weekend we wanted to go. We were prepared for the worst... and I think we pretty much got it.

The room was small and dark, and hadn't been cleaned properly. There was marks on the walls and the furniture looked like it could fall to bits any minute.

The bathroom was tiny... the sink was gross and the floor hadn't been cleaned. (There was even left over cotton buds on the floor... and a big sticky patch... not stuff you might miss if you had actually tried to clean... it really just wasn't cleaned.) The shower curtain was mouldy and fell down when I tried to pull it accross to screen myself. The plug was - yuk!

The sofa / seat was bright green - but had a massive grey stain all over the seat - like foundation or something (but the wrong colour) - it didnt look like anyone had tried to clean this off at all. And really, why would you leave it in the room - not try to cover it with something - or swap it for a cleaner one? There was also a couple of marks on the floor that looked like someone had spilt hot fat on it so the (cheap suede material) carpet had burnt together.

On the positives:

The sheets were fresh and clean and the bed was comfortable.
It's not far from Central Auckland, so handy for the sights.

Its cheap - and we did sleep well....

So, don't take your girlfriend (or your mother) - she'll be horrified!

But if you're in town to see a mate and not going to spend much time in your room.... you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pepsicolamax
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I'm staying there at the moment, room is clean and quiet, fairly freshly painted, sheets and towels are clean, bed is comfortable staff have been friendly and happy to provide a loo roll. I have a double room with TV and phone and there are 2 very pleasant Brazilian language students in the next room and we share toilet/shower, and small kitchen area. I'm in my 50's and on my own and feel safe there. Basically it seems to be full of foreign, mostly oriental students. Some of the other reviewers really put me off as I didn't book through tripadvisor but frankly, if you only want to pay 40 dollars a night you are not going to get the Hilton. It's like a student hall of residence. The only small gripe I have is the lack of a mirror. So the moral is take some of the reviews with a pinch of salt. Its about 10 minutes walk from downtown and close to the circular Link bus which goes round the city to major sights.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Anacamotes
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I didn't expect too much for this price, but caught me by total surprise - I didn't expect anything like that - as you can get it quiet oft in New Zealand.

The positive sides: the front desk was friendly and very helpful

OK, how to start now: The rooms are just horrible - cobwebs everywhere, a lot (really a lot) of mildew in the bathroom, the carpets weren't proper cleaned for approx. one to five years and I don't want to talk about the mattresses. When we said, that we didn't expect this standard, we were offered a free upgrade to a larger room. This room was in fact a little bit cleaner, but we didn't want to exposure our lungs to the fungus spors.

This place is below 3rd world, budget accommodations in Brazil, post soviet Russia, Nepal,... had always higher tidiness standards.
(Don't remember me of the kitchen of this place)

So if you want to see an Eastern Germany style Plattenbau (high-rise made with precast concrete slabs) from inside (pray, that there is no fire), you will be satisfied - other than that AVOID with all costs. I would not stay for free there and was happy to pay the cancelation fee of one night.

P.S. I feel really sorry for the (mostly Asian) students, which have to live there on long term :-(

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maalesh
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I stayed for two nights and although I did not have high expectations, it turned out to be one of the most dirty hotel/apartments I have ever stayed in, it was disgusting, rooms look like the get cleaned once every year, dirt everywhere, have a look at the pics I have uploaded to this site, just dont stay here it is horrible, they didnt even have my booking when I arrived to top it off!

I have stayed in beach huts, hostels in India etc etc etc and this place was the worst ever.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank energycontent
Reviewed 28 May 2008

When I arrived to my 'apartment' it was a disappointment to say the least. The rooms were dirty and the hallways were badly stained. Things obviously hadn't been vacuumed and I'd hate to know when the kitchen and bathroom had last been properly cleaned.

On the plus side, when they put me in an apartment with a guy (after saying I was staying with a girl), they did move me. The downside was that this apartment had even poorer ventilation (if that is possible) leading to a very nasty smell permeating the kitchen.

The positive thing I can say about this place is that it is an afordable price for the location. It was reasonably quiet, so that was a bonus. It's not somewhere I would stay again if I had other options. It reminded me of the hygene of an undergraduate university dorm, complete with vomit stains on the carpet. I just feel sorry for people who have to live here long term.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank penguin79