“Do you like festy undergraduate dorms??”

Columbia Apartments
Ranked #75 of 120 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Rockhampton
“Do you like festy undergraduate dorms??”
Reviewed 28 May 2008

When I arrived to my 'apartment' it was a disappointment to say the least. The rooms were dirty and the hallways were badly stained. Things obviously hadn't been vacuumed and I'd hate to know when the kitchen and bathroom had last been properly cleaned.

On the plus side, when they put me in an apartment with a guy (after saying I was staying with a girl), they did move me. The downside was that this apartment had even poorer ventilation (if that is possible) leading to a very nasty smell permeating the kitchen.

The positive thing I can say about this place is that it is an afordable price for the location. It was reasonably quiet, so that was a bonus. It's not somewhere I would stay again if I had other options. It reminded me of the hygene of an undergraduate university dorm, complete with vomit stains on the carpet. I just feel sorry for people who have to live here long term.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank penguin79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Wellington
Reviewed 7 May 2008

Room was small and no TV as advertised and no toilet paper. When I called to ask for more they stated that it is not provided in the room and if I wanted a room with toilet paper I would have to upgrade and pay a further $20. When I stated that I had stayed in accomadation over the world and never had anything like this the person stated that this is NZ!!! I am a born and bred Kiwi and have stayed on DOC campsites that had longdrops and they even provided toilet paper!!!! Its a real shame that for the many foregin studnets staying in that hostel for longer periods would be treated as third world resisdents. Shame on you Columbia hostel fork out the buck and give your customers something to smile about!!!!

• Liked — The net
  • Disliked — Customer service
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank disgruntled101

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Marseille
Reviewed 1 December 2007

booked my room through hotel web site. on arrival everything went well with reception. quick and professional. room was a disaster. this was by no means a hotel. it is rather a salvation army dorm. kitchen top was greassy, fridge was dirty with some left over food.no TP in bathroom, shower containing hair from previous guest. beds had only one sheet. no blankets. on top of that air in the room smelled funny as if the ventilation was not working. sky tv as advertised is not available. the good side if any. room could accomodate 2 couples. apt has 2 rooms with one queen bed each. so you will be lodging at a good price in Auckland. had to move to a lot cleaner and cheaper hotel [--].

• Liked — quick reception service
  • Disliked — absolute lack of hygiene
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank babouze
Reviewed 17 November 2005

We booked Columbia Apartments on one of the discount websites, and thought we were getting a good deal as the rate for a private double was pretty much similar to one in a hostel in Auckland. However, many hostels I stayed in NZ proved to be better than Columbia, and with hindsight we should've maybe stuck to hostels in Auckland as well. Columbia is not terrible, but we thought we might be getting something slightly more upscale seen that we got a great reduction in price. Yet, it didn't prove to be much more than a glorified student house. It is close to the University, so there are a lot of young people around - which is nice and lively, but also the apartments are therefore much more dirtier and rundown than we expected. The carpets are a very light colour and there are stains all over them, the bathroom was cleanish but definetely not spotless, and the kitchenette didn't even inspire me to make coffee in it. Just everything about the place seemed slightly dodgy, and I wouldn't really rush back to stay there.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank tatyanatr
Liverpool, UK
Reviewed 31 December 2004

Auckland, Columbia Serviced Apartments.

We arrived at the hotel about 7pm; we had booked a studio room for two nights over the Internet. However, there had been some sort of mix up apparently resulting in there being no available studio rooms. The duty manager, who was very helpful and efficient smoothed this over straight away and gave us a free upgrade to an apartment. The apartments have an extra room plus a kitchenette as opposed to the one-room studios.

The apartment was spotless (apparently the apartment block is less than twelve months old). It consisted of a hallway, one decent sized bedroom, a similar sized living room and a small shower room. The kitchen was well equipped with all the usual kitchen utilities, cooker, microwave, kettle, pans, crockery etc. Everything was new and in perfect working order. The view however, was of the back yard – but who cares, we were only there for two nights and were out most of the time.

The bedroom had a comfortable double bed with additional pillows and blankets if required but we found that we didn’t need these as the rooms are warm enough having central heating. There was a combination wardrobe, bedside cabinets, radio alarm clock and phone, again all spotlessly clean. The living room had a two-seater settee, as well as a table, four chairs, writing desk and colour TV. In addition, the apartment was cleaned every day and supplied with fresh towels.

Outside of the room, the hallways have cctv. There is a modern laundry with plenty of coin operated washing machines and dryers, and an iron and ironing board. On the same floor as the laundry (4th floor) there is a communal type room with satellite TV, we never used this as we were either out or watching our own TV. Opposite the reception on the ground floor there is a bistro, this is more of a café than bistro, and we had a meal in there on our second night. I had a Chinese meal, and I must say it was one of the best Chinese meals I have ever had, and at a reasonable price.

The reception offers luggage storage and safe deposit facilities at no charge and there are plenty of tourist/sightseeing leaflets around, you can also buy washing powder if you plan to use the laundry. The hotel is situated close to the university and about a ten/fifteen minute walk to the town centre, up a steepish road and then down another. There is not much around the immediate vicinity in the way of shops, bars etc so you either have to stay in or walk into town (Queen St), or maybe get a taxi. As we were only staying a short while, we were out and about – no use staying in, and we wanted to experience what Auckland had to offer.

Negative aspects, not many really. The bathroom was only small – not that this mattered too much, but the sink was a square stone type with the bathroom cabinet right above it. This meant that you could not bend over the sink without banging your head on the cabinet, making washing etc very awkward! The location of our room (but this is just the luck of the draw) was next to the lift so there was some noise when the lift was being used (always seems louder when your trying to get to sleep). Finally, the quite surroundings may not suit people who want all the action on their doorstep.

Overall, the Columbia didn’t have a hotel feel about it, a bit more independent and unobtrusive. If you’re after the pampering that is offered by some of the more traditional classy hotels then this isn’t for you. However, if a new, spotlessly clean, efficient accommodation at very reasonably rates is what you want, then this is ideal. We would use this hotel again as it suits our needs (as a base for sightseeing and other touristy things) and the cleanliness and great room facilities out-way the few negative features.

33 Thank Saucebrick