“Some of the best Japanese food I have had but ouch pn the wine orices”
Review of Masu

Masu
Ranked #25 of 2,414 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: "A passion for flavour and dedication to detail" Welcome to MASU, the exciting Japanese robata restaurant and bar located in the Federal Street dining precinct. MASU brings atmosphere, passion and a contemporary twist to the traditional robata style of cooking over an open charcoal grill. My philosophy is simple - use fresh local ingredients, enhance the natural flavours of each dish and let the food speak for itself. This pure approach to cuisine is reflected in our clean, natural decor. Add to this a lively, informal atmosphere and you have a beautifully bold and dramatically different style of Japanese dining in the heart of Auckland. Nic Watt
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Some of the best Japanese food I have had but ouch on the wine prices. Fast service, brilliant food, they have the best gyozza I have ever had but the prices for their wine is over the top, I mean it was ridiculous , I think any business is entitled to make a profit but a $72 for a bottle of cloudy bay that I would normally pay $42 at other restaurants or $28 at the supermarket. But I was happy over all.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We stopped by here for a couple of drinks and a snack and were hugely surprised. We asked for something different and had soft shell crab sliders in squid ink buns. Soooooooo yum even though it looked weird as! Great atmosphere we cant wait to try a full meal here.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Modern, bright and busy. Great atmosphere with very attentive, well trained and informed staff. The noise and sheer bustle of the place could be a little over bearing at first but it soon becomes part of the over-all very enjoyable experience. We went for the Masu Shomi (tasting menu for 2) menu faultless, except slightly disappointed with the Wagyu beef up grade which was a little bit of a let-down, personally we would not recommend that option. The rest is incredible especially the Cray fish tacos and the soft shell crab. The dessert platter topped off perfectly a well cooked, tasty and balanced meal.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Hands down the best Japanese I have ever had. Crayfish Tacos - really, hell yes. Here was I thinking that Teriyaki anything was what someone ordered when they really wanted meat and 3 veg but Masu did something special. Only think that didn't taste perfect was dessert - sesame ice cream is dead boring.

Wine list is brilliant. Nothing else needs to be said. Drinks list on the whole is outstanding. I continue to enjoy experimenting with Japanese whiskey.

Service was good but not perfect. Our waiter was super enthusiastic but their system left us without drinks and searching for someone to help once or twice. I wouldn't bust a blood vessel over this, paying is the time to do that.

I didn't like the layout. Too busy, too noisey and we were too close to the door. I like seeing the kitchen, I like hearing the murmur of people having a good time but I personally enjoy an amount of intimacy with those I have chosen to dine with.

I don't like anything associated with Skycity and the trip back to the carpark, past the large families enjoying an evening gambling with the kids reminded me of this.

It is expensive. It is comparable with most fine dining experiences but it isn't fine dining. To me it is more of a bistro environment. I also struggle with how raw fish can cost that much. Don't get me wrong the sashimi is beautiful - I haven't had better. It is however raw fish on a plate.

Am I glad I went - yes, it sets the bar. Will I go back - no, I can get pretty close for a fraction of the price and without going anywhere near Skycity.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed the food. You have an option for a more traditional Japanese, or you can try something with a modern twist. For starters, we had sashimi, they were out of Fatty tuna on this evening, so we had the middle tuna belly, salmon, and kingfish, along with the soft shell crab and spicy tuna maki. What an amazing start, the freshness of the fish, YUM, and the middle tuna belly just melts in your mouth! If you like something spicy, the jalapeno gives a great spicy kick in the spicy tuna maki. For our mains, we had the miso cod, and the prawn tempura. Both dishes were cooked the way we like it and the taste sensations brought us back to our times in Tokyo. Simply delicious. We didn't end there, and topped of the night with a yummy chocolate pudding with green tea on top, and miso ice cream on the side. If you have spare 20 minutes and you love chocolate, this is well worth the wait.