“Just go there!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Masu
Ranked #16 of 2,198 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: "A passion for flavour and dedication to detail" Welcome to MASU, the exciting Japanese robata restaurant and bar located in the Federal Street dining precinct. MASU brings atmosphere, passion and a contemporary twist to the traditional robata style of cooking over an open charcoal grill. My philosophy is simple - use fresh local ingredients, enhance the natural flavours of each dish and let the food speak for itself. This pure approach to cuisine is reflected in our clean, natural decor. Add to this a lively, informal atmosphere and you have a beautifully bold and dramatically different style of Japanese dining in the heart of Auckland. Nic Watt
“Just go there!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Without doubt the best - or at worst, the second best restaurant in Auckland. We went for lunch and thankfully booked as it was crammed. We had the Masu Tokusen menu at $120 pp and it was more than enough for two hearty eaters. Hopefully our photos show the grilled mushrooms and the beef tataki with black cod. The dessert platter (pictured) is incredible!

Auckland, New Zealand
“51st Anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We could not have had a nicer experience and the food was superb. Yes, an expensive meal but one we will never forget.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“Great quality food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had a lovely evening at Masu. Great service and delicious Japanese food - all fresh and attractively presented. Would definitely return.

• Visited June 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Production Line...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We ate the 7 course Masu "Shomi" menu. I had booked well in advance due to the restaurants popularity and missing out on several other occasions. Our 6pm booking was bracketed upon booking with 'we have another seating' at 8pm. Totally understandable, and my thinking was that two hours to consume 7 courses was fine. The reservation confirmation call two days before hand also came with the proviso of another seating at 8pm. We arrived at 6pm and were promptly seated. Even at this time the restaurant was busy, although there appeared to be plenty of staff on hand. Our drink orders were taken, and the first dish was promptly served. Unfortunately, the next 5 courses were all served within the next 25 minutes. Some were served before the last course was completed, and you felt like nothing more than a piece of machinery on a production line, being churned through as quickly as possible. The food, although nice, was nothing especially fantastic or creative, especially compared to similarly priced multi-course Japanese menu's around the central city. The stand out was probably the first dish, the crayfish and spicy miso taco, which had an interesting combination of both Mexican and Japanese cuisine which really worked well. The other courses seemed to blend into each other a little bit, and the single lamb cutlet was not an adequate main course. The teriyaki salmon was overdone, although I realise this is a matter of personal taste for most people. The tenderstem broccoli and grilled kumara were underwhelming, with the latter especially having a gluey, cardboard type texture that was a little unpleasant. The service, whilst extremely prompt, was a little stilted, and many of the dishes that came out were not as adequately described as I would have liked, with us eventually asking for a copy of the menu so we could discover what we were eating. At 6:25pm, when asked if we were ready for dessert, we requested a 10 minute break, which was accorded us, before a giant platter was brought out for dessert. It looked impressive, with a variety of fresh fruit, and three different desserts...however, it appeared that much of the energy of the menu's food went into this dish. Again personal preference, but I don't eat at Japanese restaurants for the dessert, and came away feeling slightly disappointed over the whole evening. The atmosphere was very busy, and I liked having an unobstructed view of the kitchen and the pass. Unfortunately the quickness that we were rushed through left me feeling little more than 'another punter, another dollar', and I strongly feel there are better options for Japanese food of this style and in this price bracket.

• Visited August 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank T1NM4N
Wanganui
“Some of the best Japanese food I have had but ouch pn the wine orices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Some of the best Japanese food I have had but ouch on the wine prices. Fast service, brilliant food, they have the best gyozza I have ever had but the prices for their wine is over the top, I mean it was ridiculous , I think any business is entitled to make a profit but a $72 for a bottle of cloudy bay that I would normally pay $42 at other restaurants or $28 at the supermarket. But I was happy over all.

Visited August 2014