“WARNING! Do not stay here.”

and 1 more site!
Princeton Auckland Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Stayed here for a week while in Auckland for a conference.

I was initially given a room on the the first building. Upon entering, the room was not even cleaned, as if the previous guest just left and they gave me that room to occupy. So I complained about it and they gave me another room from the second building which was okay. The room that they gave me had 2 beds in a very tiny room. For a single occupancy, the other bed just took over most of the space. The room was not very clean either, underneath the beds, you can definitely tell that they are dusty. Moreover, it looks as if the two beds were from one double decker bed that they just put one of the bed down to look as if there's two bed. Mattress was very hard and the bed frames squeaky everytime you lie on them. Toilets and shower are both in the same space divided by a massive curtain. The shower doesn't have any windows or ventilation so its very claustrophobic when you're in. Also the basin is so small you barely can do anything.

With the price I paid around ~40$ per night, I was just after a room to bunk and have my own private place, hence I did not bother much of all of the complaints as mentioned above. However, what I got pissed is that upon arriving one night back to my room, my things got stolen, including my passport and camera to name a few. Since the reception closes around 10pm, I could not complain about what had happened and I had to leave Auckland the morning after the incident happened. I had suspected that it could've been an done by an insider or the other person staying in the other room. I called them the next day to complain about the incident and were not cooperative or supportive. This is when I realized the importance of 24/7 reception desk and proper security. Overall, was not a pleasant stay and would not stay here again and I hope readers would not even consider this place to stay whilst in Auckland for it would just ruin your trip. If you are still considering, always be cautious then even elsewhere in the city. The place does not seem to be as safe as one would think.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank urbanization
There are newer reviews for Princeton Auckland Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed 27 March 2011

It was a rush trip thus we decided to book upon reaching the airport through the information centre. It was a rush trip thus we decided to book upon reaching the airport through the information centre. Princeton is one of the worse experiences we ever had. To be truthful, we only paid $110 or so for a night but the overall is so crappy. The room is squeezy thus two person cannot walk at the same time (Ps. We are quite small). And there was still horrible fried food smell that came from the cookhouse below. If you don’t mind smelling like a fried fish the next day or sleeping with a faulty heater , then why not since it was considered low price. We paid for 2 nights as deposit when our total stay was 7 but we forfeited the 2nd night and went off to another lodging which was way better.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank samental
Reviewed 14 November 2009

By far the worst accomodation of any sort that we have ever experienced in New Zealand. We booked a double room, were given a twin. I am not exaggerating at all by saying that the 2 single beds occupied at least 98.5% of the floor space. The bathroom sink was no better than a small bowl and it was tucked under the mirror. Absoluetely disgusting. A building like that should have never been designed to be occupied by human beings.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank zsxdcf
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Decided on this establishment due to its superior location to both the city centre and University of Auckland since we were there for a conference. To call it shocking is a bleeding understatement. As mentioned by many reviews before, if you are there after working hours, it is virtually impossible to enter the building, unless you are fortunate enough to see the smokers doing their thing directly in front. Checking in was smooth enough but the shocking state in which we found the room to be in was and is still indescribable. We can't even call it a room as it was really small and the toilet can be likened to those you find in airplanes. As if things could not be worse, the beds were not made, sheets and towel were strewn all over the floor.

Stayed one night and forfeited the rest as there was genuine concerns about my wife's safety since I was going to be at the conference for the large part of the day.

Just to end off, we met a couple who were attending the conference and also staying in Princeton. The chap is an archeologist used to the rough and tumble of substandard accommodation, even he was suitably appalled by the terrible standard of the place. Enough said.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank loonbert
Reviewed 16 August 2009

This was quite possibly the most appaling establishment I have ever been to.
Was very easy to organise however arrived with warning that we would be early and after managing to manuevre the extremly difficult steps got to the recepion area but without a key there was noway of getting in.

Apart from the goodwill of another guest coming out, letting us in we could have been stuck there for who knows how long. When they finally arrived was told that room was being clean and to come back later. Myself and my friend both 19 year old girls were horrified to discover we had been put in the same apartment as two other guys which I find disgraceful no offence to them but anything couldve happened and we were refused another room when told of how uncomfortable we were with the arrangement. Our 'veranda' outside was filthy and littered with piling rubbish.

To top it off when unpacking I found by the bed a condom wrapper and with it A USED CONDOM. This is a disgusting establishment and would not reccommend this to anyone. We refused to sleep there and they were forced to put us somewhere else.

DO NOT STAY UNLESS YOU WANT TO RISK YOUR HEALTH AND WELLBEING.

As working in the hospitality industry, this is an embarrasing excuse for an accomodation establishment.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank magentamm
Reviewed 15 March 2009

This is the worse place. I booked for a double and the guy said that he can only give me a single. I did not like his attitude and I felt like he did not want us to stay there. When we got into our room it was like a dump... plug wires hanging...very dirty... there was only 1 lift for the whole building takes forever to catch it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Blueberryman18
Reviewed 8 January 2009

We booked this Hostel online, and then thought after we had paid the deposit - lets check out the reviews online... We then dreaded ever arriving at Princton. When we arrived it was nothing like as bad a picture as had been painted of it.

First thing I should say about the place is that if you expect hotel standard then you can probably expect to be disapointed - and based on the other reviews it appears this is what has been expected from these people. If you consider this place as more of a hostel - then value for money you really can't knock it.

It does have a strange set up with travellers, students, and long term stayers all mixed into two massive tower blocks, but that was never an issue during our stay - not even once.

Compared to a hostel its waaayyy more private. And Quiet!! You basically get an appartment which will basically have 2 bedrooms in it. One is yours (your room has its own key!), and the other is your "Flat Mate" who you will rarely even see as all you actually share with them is one bathroom and a small kitchen area which seperate the rooms. And as you are unlikely to be cooking or using the bathroom at the exact same time you can expect to only see your flatmate on the passing.

Myself and a partner had stayed elsewhere in the city previously in a double private room in a hostel and got barely any sleep, because everyone was wandering about and talking and drinking. Here.. you honestly do not have this sort of problem.

The room / bathroom / kitchen area was clean, and we got room service/cleaners changing our sheets, giving us clean towels and take out our bins every day.

The areas good, your across from a convienice store, right by the university so although theres not tons of bars, your biggest worry when walking about at night is bumping into the odd student.

We never had a television listed on any of the documents we receved when we booked the room, but based on the other reviews we noticed others had. When we arrived and there was not one in the room, we asked reception and they sorted us out with one straight away.

The reception staff were always polite and friendly, and based on this I would guess if you were unhappy with anything (as long as you weren't just moaning for the sake of it) - they would really do everything they could to help. The more I think about it - I really don't have much of a bad word to say about the place.

All I can say is if you are coming here directly from a hostel for some peace and quiet then you will probably love it, and If you are coming from a 5 star hotel you might hate it... but to be honest, speaking from experience... There are MUCH worse places to stay in Auckland!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Paulshols1