“Sulky unwelcoming owners.”
Review of Abaco On Jervois

Abaco On Jervois
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I am an English Widower normally domiciled in Ponsonby, Auckland. I and my two little boys have returned to Auckland after a year in England and booked into Abaco for a few nights whilst we looked for a new home.

We did not feel very welcome at all. The lady owner was civil but her husband was downright offhand. My little boys could not play here, play there, he scowled every time we made an enquiry. This very unerudite gentleman kept banging on about his corporate clients (third rate travelling salesmen for the mostpart) 'Mine host' he was not.

We moved to somewhere else much more welcoming (the Great Ponsonby Art Hotel) - wonderful.

We have been there for some weeks (will write a glowing review Sally and Jerry) but now have to leave as they are booked out for the rest of the month. We still have not found the home we seek so still needing a roof I rang back Abaco who took and accepted my booking. Ten minutes later my phone rang.

It was the oh so charasmatic Mr Abaco himself. Having established he had my attention he launched himself: "Don't know what got into Cindy taking your booking - we're full for the rest of the month" he snarled.

"Well your Website shows vacancies" I interjected.

"its obviously wrong" snapped this extraordinary man.

I thought for a second. "Could it be - you simply do not want us?" I enquired gently.

"Too right" he practically bellowed. "I am trying to renovate this place and I don't need your boys around. I have real corporate clients. We don't want want you or or your family."

I was so surprised at this extraordinary outburst I simply hung up.

We were not returning there out of choice - simply need a bed. Abaco is a third rate establishment anyway not helped by unsmiling begrudging hosts who look as though they wished all their guests would go away. Temporary accommodation in Ponsonby is sparse therefore standards do not need to be high yet this performance from Abaco set a new benchmark in awfulness for NZ hospitality and believe me having lived in NZ for 30 years I have encountered a few pretty dreadful ones.

Incidentally my boys have travelled the world this year. We have stayed in 5 star hotels and cheap dives. In all they have charmed in the extreme and been welcomed everywhere. The only place they are not welcome is on the doorstep of the village they were born in.

If you are a family - steer clear of Abaco. If you are looking for a cheery smile or helpful advice look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
20  Thank Nick H

Reviewed 22 January 2012

If you want to stay in a place outside the city with good restaurants then this is as good as it gets. The rooms are adequate, just renovated and reasonably well appointed. Probably worth paying the extra for a suite rather than a studio but we felt good value for money. Pleasant and laid back staff. very clean, a little noisy if you have the studio next to the road but you get used to that.

Room Tip: take a suite rather than a studio
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank royvocking
Reviewed 13 December 2011

New facilities, lots of room in a studio with full kitchen facilities. Easy walk into Ponsonby for cafes, meals, shops. Will definitely stay again. Excellent service and great location. Thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: We had a downstairs studio with full kitchen facilities by the exit way and no problems with traffic...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank servicecounts-az
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Stayed here for 3 weeks following relocation and was made very welcome by the owners and all staff. It is a family run hotel which offers that bit more "at home" feeling. Our room was clean, comfortable and had both en-suite and cooking facilities (a cooker as well as a microwave) and TV, DVD and internet. OK it wasn't home but it was certainly the best we could make it in our stay there. Parking is also available and ALL amenities are within a few minutes walk - supermarket, shops, banks, restaurants and bars - even a dry cleaners straight across the road. Location is also within 25 mins walk from the CBD and is also on the link bus route which will take you there for a very nominal fee. Accepted we needed to move rooms due to the rugby world cup advance bookings but the staff did everything they could to ensure our stay was a good experience. They succeeded in every category and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a spa bath - although additional to the room rate is well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I travelled with my Family to Auckland for the Rugby World Cup, we stayed at the Abaco on Jervois and took 3 suites. The standard was excellent all the suites have been recently refurbished with new furniture and fittings. The location was great, restuarants and bars are close by and the bus into the city is 250 metres away but it is an easy 25 minute walk into the harbour if you prefer.

Room Tip: suites are the ones the choose, the cost is reasonable
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank michael c
Reviewed 24 August 2011

The customer service we experienced was fantastic, the receptionist was lovely and kindly showed us the room before we agreed to stay. Check in and check out was quick and easy.

The room was a disaster, not especially clean and to say outdated/old would be the understatement of the year. The only reason we stayed was that nearly everything else in Auckland was booked out that night, not sure but maybe there was a concert on.

To be fair, the hotel is undergoing MAJOR renovations, i.e the new family owners are basically gutting it and starting again and from what we saw of the new rooms as we walked past it is going to be LOVELY.

However i would not recommend to anyone staying in the older rooms, even with the so called "reduced" price they are still not nearly worth the money. We have stayed in Auckland a lot over the past month so had several other hotels to compare the price to.

The location is really handy to the central city if you do not have a car, and you can catch the green link bus from Ponsonby. If you have a car you are not really gaining much at the moment by staying here as opposed to a central city hotel, except for free car parking.

We liked the friendly staff and wish them the best with the renovations we liked least the room! Parking is outside your door so thats going to be a bonus for drivers.

Room Tip: Pay for the new renovated rooms!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank KateW84
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Book the Abaco! Stop looking through Trip Advisor and feel confident that you'll have a great stay!!

I stayed at the Abaco on Jervois with my boyfriend, mother, sister and brother-in-law. We were in New Zealand for a holiday and were in Christchurch when the Feb 22 Earthquake struck. Our family was scattered and Christchurch was a broken city with resources extremely limited, so we decided to all go to Auckland to reunite, shower and relax without the many aftershocks. Luckily we found the Abaco. The hosts were wonderful and extremely accommodating. They upgraged my sister and her husband to a corner suite (bigger room) which was appreciated as they were in NZ for their wedding which had to be cancelled.

The rooms are lovely and I'm very fussy. Ample space, nice bathroom, and a view of the Sky Tower (it was red for Christchurch while we were there) and of the harbour - very pretty scenery right outside the door. Also had a balcony out the back of the rooms were we could sit in the sun.

The area is great, public transport nearby and Ponsonby is a nice area to walk around - lots of shops and restaurants very close by.

My mother went back and stayed there, and I wanted to give her some flowers. Once again the hosts were extremely helpful and suggested local florist to contact.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple