“Great stay”

Ranked #1 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great stay”
Reviewed 2 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here between packing up my house and moving to Melbourne. Excellent spot handy to Auckland central and especially Ponsonby. Nothing was too much trouble even to the point of storing my luggage. Clean tidy accommodation and friendly staff. Nothing is too much trouble!! Highly recommended!

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank S4shaw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Havelock North, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I stay here several times a year for work. The rooms are good and have everything you need. Agree it's worth it to upgrade to a suite rather than studio. On a couple of occasions have noticed the shower doesn't drain that well. Great location and easy to get to the city. Dido's tapas bar across the road from Abaco is fantastic.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JofromHB
Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We have stayed at Abaco twice now (and will again in July and Aug). The rooms are clean, spacious and fully equipped. The little touches also go a long way, teas and coffees are replenished, fresh milk on arrival, servicing of the rooms, friendly staff and very thoughful owners. We are looking forward to our next trip to Auckland in July and staying at Abaco.

Samantha Luther & Family

Room Tip: All the rooms are just as nice
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Boise
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Contrary to the one dissatisfied client, I have been staying at Abaco for the last few months on and off. I am an expat from the States. The accommodation at Abaco is by far the best value available in Auckland. In addition, the owners and staff are absolutely fantastic! They run a very good operation and are overly accommodating. I haven't a clue what the gentlemen with the kids is talking about. From this travelling professional's standpoint, I haven't found a better situation than the one at Abaco!

As for the condition of the hotel: the rooms are all remodeled with very nice furnishings. Free Sky TV, good Internet (& wireless), and fantastic service has been my experience.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Eaglespud
Auckland
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I am an English Widower normally domiciled in Ponsonby, Auckland. I and my two little boys have returned to Auckland after a year in England and booked into Abaco for a few nights whilst we looked for a new home.

We did not feel very welcome at all. The lady owner was civil but her husband was downright offhand. My little boys could not play here, play there, he scowled every time we made an enquiry. This very unerudite gentleman kept banging on about his corporate clients (third rate travelling salesmen for the mostpart) 'Mine host' he was not.

We moved to somewhere else much more welcoming (the Great Ponsonby Art Hotel) - wonderful.

We have been there for some weeks (will write a glowing review Sally and Jerry) but now have to leave as they are booked out for the rest of the month. We still have not found the home we seek so still needing a roof I rang back Abaco who took and accepted my booking. Ten minutes later my phone rang.

It was the oh so charasmatic Mr Abaco himself. Having established he had my attention he launched himself: "Don't know what got into Cindy taking your booking - we're full for the rest of the month" he snarled.

"Well your Website shows vacancies" I interjected.

"its obviously wrong" snapped this extraordinary man.

I thought for a second. "Could it be - you simply do not want us?" I enquired gently.

"Too right" he practically bellowed. "I am trying to renovate this place and I don't need your boys around. I have real corporate clients. We don't want want you or or your family."

I was so surprised at this extraordinary outburst I simply hung up.

We were not returning there out of choice - simply need a bed. Abaco is a third rate establishment anyway not helped by unsmiling begrudging hosts who look as though they wished all their guests would go away. Temporary accommodation in Ponsonby is sparse therefore standards do not need to be high yet this performance from Abaco set a new benchmark in awfulness for NZ hospitality and believe me having lived in NZ for 30 years I have encountered a few pretty dreadful ones.

Incidentally my boys have travelled the world this year. We have stayed in 5 star hotels and cheap dives. In all they have charmed in the extreme and been welcomed everywhere. The only place they are not welcome is on the doorstep of the village they were born in.

If you are a family - steer clear of Abaco. If you are looking for a cheery smile or helpful advice look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
20 Thank Nick H
Feusisberg, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 January 2012

If you want to stay in a place outside the city with good restaurants then this is as good as it gets. The rooms are adequate, just renovated and reasonably well appointed. Probably worth paying the extra for a suite rather than a studio but we felt good value for money. Pleasant and laid back staff. very clean, a little noisy if you have the studio next to the road but you get used to that.

Room Tip: take a suite rather than a studio
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank royvocking
Hastings, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 December 2011

New facilities, lots of room in a studio with full kitchen facilities. Easy walk into Ponsonby for cafes, meals, shops. Will definitely stay again. Excellent service and great location. Thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: We had a downstairs studio with full kitchen facilities by the exit way and no problems with traffic...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business