“I want to like it”

Price range: US$15 - US$106
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene, View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: OSTRO BRASSERIE AND BAR BOASTS A MENU BY JOSH EMETT, SWEEPING SEA AND CITY VIEWS AND AN INTERIOR CELEBRATING THE SEAFARERS BUILDING'S COLOURFUL PAST. Taking its name from the Italian word for 'a southerly wind', Ostro is a bold New Zealand interpretation of an international-style brasserie, with an upscale yet unpretentious atmosphere and multiple Michelin-starred chef Josh Emett at the culinary helm. Ostro sweeps across the entire second floor of the Seafarers Building, a onetime home to transient sailors which is being transformed by the team behind Ebisu, Tyler Street Garage and Fukuko into six dynamic floors of eateries, bars, a screening room and a private members' club. The Seafarers development's flagship eatery and bar is a literal feast for the senses. An all-weather terrace affords diners breathtaking views of Waitemata Harbour from the brasserie side, while glimpses of Britomart and the wider city can be enjoyed from the more casual City Terrace Bar.
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My very first impression of Ostro was not a good one. Hearing all the hype I contacted Ostro 6weeks in advance to make a booking for 2 for new years eve, I can understand if they were booked but they responded with they weren't sure what they were doing and they would get back to me. After waiting a few weeks I called them back, they said they were fully booked and there was no list. I have worked in restaurants on the viaduct and chancery so I'm very aware of how customers should be treated and the lady on the phone quite frankly was very rude and made it out like I had misunderstood. Never the less I still really wanted to try it out. Finally when my partner and I were able to go, we booked online which was great and very easy. The fit out of the restaurant is amazing! There are so many different spaces to cater for everyone, whether you just want to have a drink at the bar, dine amongst a large group, or a romantic dinner over looking the wharf. The service was attentive, our waiter was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. The food was very nice, though not as exciting as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, everything was cooked well and presented well but I was hoping for something more, more variety? more flare? Just something more. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I really want to like Ostro even though it is a bit pretentious, I would be interested to give it another go, I will possibly for lunch, defiantly a few drinks at the bar. I recommend it, but I recommend you don't hold your hopes too high.

There are newer reviews for Ostro

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We had been to Rata in Queenstown, and now wanted to try Ostro in Auckland. We had read the reviews which were mixed, especially as regards service. Well we could not have had a better experience. The staff were amazing from the minute we arrived to the minute we walked out the door. Very professional. The food? Sensational. My scampi risotto was excellent, as were the entrees my guests had. I shared a slow roasted lamb shoulder with my friend from Austalia who is very discerning, and he raved about it. Needles to say I found it scrumptous! Desserts polished and intersting. Wine list wide with lots by the glass which made it easy for food matching. A great night out. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is a great place in Britomart area of Auckland. It is in a revamped loft overlooking the harbor. The views were spectacular and the atmosphere was energized. The staff was outstanding. Travelling alone, this was an upbeat place to be in. They have a great wine selection and the food was delicious.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Went to Ostro in Auckland NZ for the first time last night. It is in a wonderful location with harbour views. The staff, our waiter especially,Colin, we're so attentive, polite and fun. Food was amazing especially the Bluff oysters and tongue. The manager David gave us special attention which was much appreciated. Can highly recommend Ostro, booking essential and ask for a window or verandah seat. Looking forward to our next visit very much.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Client lunch - group booking.
Food - outstanding.
Views/ atmosphere - could not be faulted.
Service - 3rd rate. Indifferent. Long lapses between courses, lack of attention, felt we'd been forgotten on several occasions. Disappointed. Would definitely return for the food, but not for the service.