“Delicious lunch in a perfect setting”
Review of Ostro

Ostro
Ranked #60 of 2,345 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$15 - US$104
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene, View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: OSTRO BRASSERIE AND BAR BOASTS A MENU BY JOSH EMETT, SWEEPING SEA AND CITY VIEWS AND AN INTERIOR CELEBRATING THE SEAFARERS BUILDING'S COLOURFUL PAST. Taking its name from the Italian word for 'a southerly wind', Ostro is a bold New Zealand interpretation of an international-style brasserie, with an upscale yet unpretentious atmosphere and multiple Michelin-starred chef Josh Emett at the culinary helm. Ostro sweeps across the entire second floor of the Seafarers Building, a onetime home to transient sailors which is being transformed by the team behind Ebisu, Tyler Street Garage and Fukuko into six dynamic floors of eateries, bars, a screening room and a private members' club. The Seafarers development's flagship eatery and bar is a literal feast for the senses. An all-weather terrace affords diners breathtaking views of Waitemata Harbour from the brasserie side, while glimpses of Britomart and the wider city can be enjoyed from the more casual City Terrace Bar.
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Perfectly fresh fish ceviche, perfectly seared tuna, a delectable smoked fish omelette (more like a baked custard), attentive service with that perfect touch of friendly professionalism, a balcony table overlooking the sparkling harbour - what more could you want? Well, only to go back of course and try some more of an extensive and tempting menu.
Reassuring to see Josh Emmett present.
This is a super restaurant with great decor, a modern menu and a high standard to cooking and service.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I had some friends visiting from Wellington over the weekend so took them in to check out Ostro for a late night drink on Saturday 29th March. The atmosphere was fantastic with the music being a particular highlight, it made the whole place feel very international. We actually ended up staying till closing and it was a great night had by all.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Second time been to Ostro, and I certainly will return again. Lovely view over the harbour, the food was great - we ordered Ox tongue two ways, beef carpaccio, duck angiolini, scampi risotto, and steamed snapper, and I would've say it's good value for its price, food cooked very well and the portion is enough for 3 of us. They also have a great selection of wines and cocktails which you don't get elsewhere. What I love is the service, when we tried to book 2 days before turning up they told us it's full, but when we arrived they were still able to give us a table with a time limit because the next lot of customer has reserved the table. They were really quick at serving our drinks and food but I didn't feel I was being rushed to be kicked out. The staff are very knowledgeable about their food and drinks. Great service! The only thing is it was a bit loud because it's so busy at the bar area, which makes talking a little difficult even on the restaurant side and probably not the most "romantic" place.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

My very first impression of Ostro was not a good one. Hearing all the hype I contacted Ostro 6weeks in advance to make a booking for 2 for new years eve, I can understand if they were booked but they responded with they weren't sure what they were doing and they would get back to me. After waiting a few weeks I called them back, they said they were fully booked and there was no list. I have worked in restaurants on the viaduct and chancery so I'm very aware of how customers should be treated and the lady on the phone quite frankly was very rude and made it out like I had misunderstood. Never the less I still really wanted to try it out. Finally when my partner and I were able to go, we booked online which was great and very easy. The fit out of the restaurant is amazing! There are so many different spaces to cater for everyone, whether you just want to have a drink at the bar, dine amongst a large group, or a romantic dinner over looking the wharf. The service was attentive, our waiter was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. The food was very nice, though not as exciting as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, everything was cooked well and presented well but I was hoping for something more, more variety? more flare? Just something more. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I really want to like Ostro even though it is a bit pretentious, I would be interested to give it another go, I will possibly for lunch, defiantly a few drinks at the bar. I recommend it, but I recommend you don't hold your hopes too high.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We had been to Rata in Queenstown, and now wanted to try Ostro in Auckland. We had read the reviews which were mixed, especially as regards service. Well we could not have had a better experience. The staff were amazing from the minute we arrived to the minute we walked out the door. Very professional. The food? Sensational. My scampi risotto was excellent, as were the entrees my guests had. I shared a slow roasted lamb shoulder with my friend from Austalia who is very discerning, and he raved about it. Needles to say I found it scrumptous! Desserts polished and intersting. Wine list wide with lots by the glass which made it easy for food matching. A great night out. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Andrew C