“Lovely evening - just what we needed”
Review of Ostro

Ostro
Ranked #59 of 2,345 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$15 - US$104
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene, View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: OSTRO BRASSERIE AND BAR BOASTS A MENU BY JOSH EMETT, SWEEPING SEA AND CITY VIEWS AND AN INTERIOR CELEBRATING THE SEAFARERS BUILDING'S COLOURFUL PAST. Taking its name from the Italian word for 'a southerly wind', Ostro is a bold New Zealand interpretation of an international-style brasserie, with an upscale yet unpretentious atmosphere and multiple Michelin-starred chef Josh Emett at the culinary helm. Ostro sweeps across the entire second floor of the Seafarers Building, a onetime home to transient sailors which is being transformed by the team behind Ebisu, Tyler Street Garage and Fukuko into six dynamic floors of eateries, bars, a screening room and a private members' club. The Seafarers development's flagship eatery and bar is a literal feast for the senses. An all-weather terrace affords diners breathtaking views of Waitemata Harbour from the brasserie side, while glimpses of Britomart and the wider city can be enjoyed from the more casual City Terrace Bar.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had a wonderful evening at the restaurant. We just dropped in, got a nice table and the waiter was there immediately.
The food came quickly and the waiter matched the wine perfect to the food, within our budget.
We had the Eye Filet for main, and to sides to share, and there were perfect to fill us up.
The atmosphere is really nice and we had a lovely evening.

To add: this was a sunday, and a "quiet" night for the restaurant.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Visited Ostro last night with friends for the first time and had high expectations as we had heard amazing reports. The environment is trendy and fun and the outside bar area is an added bonus however the food was under par for the price. I had a lovely beef carpacio and a friend had the oysters which she also rated highly however the mains were disappointing and the 9 dollar side salad was obviously pre-prepared and dripping in dressing. The most disappointing aspect of the evening was the service. Our waiter was rude and completely disinterested in us and as far I am concerned even if the food had been of higher standard the behaviour of this waiter would have been enough to convince me not to go back. I mentioned my concerns about the waiter to the maitre'd who did not seem overly surprised and or apologetic so I am left with the impression that this is the way they role at Ostro. I think I will go back to Depot the next time I am out for dinner as you can't beat the service or the food.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We dined at Ostro for a lunch in a group of 10 on Thursday 10 April, to celebrate an important work-related occasion. Ostro got some things very right, while other areas need attention.

On the positive side:
• Our group was seated at a fabulous outdoor setting, overlooking the wharf, and was a very pleasant spot.
• The food was beautifully presented, delicious and served in generous portions. Everyone enjoyed their meals.
• The latecomer in our group had his order taken very promptly and his meal arrived with astonishing and impressive speed, so that he was able to enjoy his main with the rest of us.

On the other side:
• The service was earnest but somewhat patchy. Most of our group were more than halfway through our meals before the waiter came around to offer pepper.
• Our meals didn't arrive all at the same time. Most particularly the cheese platters that two of our party had ordered as finishers were served after many people had finished their desserts.
• One guest commented that the experience didn't feel like a Josh Emett restaurant (having dined at Rata on numerous occasions).
• Three of our group had stomach upsets following the meal, with abdominal cramping and other ill effects within two hours of leaving Ostro. There is no one dish that we can put this down to as others in the group ate the same dishes without any ill effects.

Even worse is that we discussed our experience as a group and decided to contact the restaurant directly (via email) with the above feedback so they could at least have the opportunity to know where we felt they went wrong. But nearly two weeks later we still haven't had a response. Even a "thanks for your feedback and we hope your next experience with us is better" would be nice. But apparently Ostro don't give a damn.

There are so many good dining options in the Briotmart area that I suggest you go somewhere that cares about their customers.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I dropped into Ostro on a recommendation during the week, and the staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable. The food was delicious and the room warm and bustling.

Even though it was a busy night, I was taken in and treated fabulously as a solo patron; the service was very attentive and friendly. Thank you for a lovely night.

Lyn

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The actual fit out looks impressive however puny little chairs are annoying. Worts of all however are the bathrooms. Obviously really expensive but it's like a kindergarden toilet. I'm not super tall yet I had to bend my knees and stoop over to reach the basins, same with the one single hand dryer. I know it's a restaurant and you want to hear about the food but this is just plain annoying and unnecessary given the obviously massive budget.

Food was as expected. Pretty good apart from the bland and tastless scampi risotto. Really bland. Apart from that the food is actually great. Took our table one whole hour to get our order to the waiter. I don't know why, it seems like it was just our table, we where engrossed in talks but it would have been nice if we were interupted for our order.

Really nice spot, up high (ish) with good harbour views from anywhere in the restaurant.