“Great dinner spot ”

Price range: US$14 - US$99
Cuisines: European
Good for: View, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: OSTRO BRASSERIE AND BAR BOASTS A MENU BY JOSH EMETT, SWEEPING SEA AND CITY VIEWS AND AN INTERIOR CELEBRATING THE SEAFARERS BUILDING'S COLOURFUL PAST. Taking its name from the Italian word for 'a southerly wind', Ostro is a bold New Zealand interpretation of an international-style brasserie, with an upscale yet unpretentious atmosphere and multiple Michelin-starred chef Josh Emett at the culinary helm. Ostro sweeps across the entire second floor of the Seafarers Building, a onetime home to transient sailors which is being transformed by the team behind Ebisu, Tyler Street Garage and Fukuko into six dynamic floors of eateries, bars, a screening room and a private members' club. The Seafarers development's flagship eatery and bar is a literal feast for the senses. An all-weather terrace affords diners breathtaking views of Waitemata Harbour from the brasserie side, while glimpses of Britomart and the wider city can be enjoyed from the more casual City Terrace Bar.
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed a delicious salad, saffron risotto, drinks and service at this unplanned visit to a real hot spot. The space is large, the tables packed and the service attentive, efficient and friendly. Chelsea at the Maître 'D's station took the time to place a weary traveller in a lovely spot with a terrific view. I will return at my earliest opportunity. Great service.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

After reading some negative reports we decided to go anyway. It was perfect, the service was very attentive without being intrusive. The food was delicious and the view from our table across Auckland Harbour was magical, we were there as an ocean cruiser left harbour,all lit up and sounding its horns and creating a wonderful memory.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We tried Ostro out for the first time about 3 months ago and have made a reservation every fortnight ever since. The food is consistently excellent, the service is excellent, wait staff are prompt and attentive. Ask for a table with a water view. Only thing I think they could improve on is their dining chairs, they are hard steel and quite uncomfortable after sitting on for an hour or so.
But it is a must try restaurant in Auckland. The steaks are the best in Auckland. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I had booked for dinner at Ostro 4 days prior to my daughters graduation. I specifically asked while booking for an individual sit down table which was confirmed.
When we turned up on the day we were told that we had been allocated a bench with stools which was of course not acceptable for a celebratory dinner. An alternative table offered out on the deck on a windy wet night was ridiculous.We went elsewhere and were very disappointed with the cavalier attitude of the staff

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I don't visit the CBD often, so when I do I want to make the make of the trip. There were 6 diners in our party. We we warmly greeted by the staff on arrival and ushered to our table, Then then hard choice and discussions began, what to order. After several visits from the patient waiter we finally had our selection. He kindly offered to talk us through each dish and explain what they were.

For Appetiser, I chose the Seared Yellowfin Tuna and for Mains Honey- Glazed Grilled Poussin. Although we did share most of the dishes between the group. I really enjoyed everything I tried.

Looking out over the harbour was a great backdrop to a great meal. The staff were very helpful and knowledgable. The only slight downside was that once we moved out to the firepit for coffee's we had to open a new tab. If it was added to the table bill it would have been a perfect evening.

I have found excuse to venture into the CBD more often