“Lovely food, terrible service”
Review of Ostro

Ostro
Ranked #65 of 2,383 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$16 - US$107
Cuisines: European
Good for: View, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: OSTRO BRASSERIE AND BAR BOASTS A MENU BY JOSH EMETT, SWEEPING SEA AND CITY VIEWS AND AN INTERIOR CELEBRATING THE SEAFARERS BUILDING'S COLOURFUL PAST. Taking its name from the Italian word for 'a southerly wind', Ostro is a bold New Zealand interpretation of an international-style brasserie, with an upscale yet unpretentious atmosphere and multiple Michelin-starred chef Josh Emett at the culinary helm. Ostro sweeps across the entire second floor of the Seafarers Building, a onetime home to transient sailors which is being transformed by the team behind Ebisu, Tyler Street Garage and Fukuko into six dynamic floors of eateries, bars, a screening room and a private members' club. The Seafarers development's flagship eatery and bar is a literal feast for the senses. An all-weather terrace affords diners breathtaking views of Waitemata Harbour from the brasserie side, while glimpses of Britomart and the wider city can be enjoyed from the more casual City Terrace Bar.
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Such was the disappointment that was our dinner experience at Ostro last night, I felt I had to write this review. The service was shockingly bad. For a $500 dinner for four people I would expect some decent service but there was NO service. We had an 8.30pm reservation, and the table was not ready. That was fine but when they did come to get us, they sat us down at a dirty table that had not even been set yet. It still needed a wipe down from the previous patrons. They then proceeded to set the table with us sitting there which I thought was rude and unnecessary.
No one came to take our order nor explain the specials or answer any questions. When our bluff oysters arrived they were plonked down on our table with not even an excuse me. We had to ask for service three times, and felt like we should be pouring our own wine. The straw that broke the camel’s back, was seeing our so called waiter sit down at the table next to us for the remainder of the evening and chat with some ladies instead of serving us or introducing a new server to us if he had finished for the evening. Terrible service Ostro… Extremely disappointing and totally unnecessary. The food was all lovely, but hard to enjoy as we felt so disregarded. I hope Management listens to these reviews about the service, it truly is shocking.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I live in Auckland and thought i would wait awhile to try this restaurant, went for dinner last week and ordered the Salmon cerviche for entree and told the waitress it was very salty, she had an accent and struggled with English i think but did not offer an alternative. My main was the Pork chop which was equally disappointing, the crackle was very chewy i manage to have about 3 pieces of pork, the waitress again said did you not enjoy it and i said No.....the fries were nice! We decided to eat desert elsewhere that night.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The perfect place to enjoy the Auckland habour while you enjoy excellent F&B served smartly!
Cleaver presentation of quality local foods

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Went with a group from work, 12 of us, as a result we had to choose from a set menu, I am not complaining, the choice and quality of food was exceptional. Three courses of either meat or sea food choices, potion size was good as was presentation, my only complaint was my Scotch Fillet was a little grisly. We have window seats with very good views over the harbour, most seats would enjoy this view. The service was very good with plenty of staff available at all times. My only other issue was the noise, it was very hard to hear people talking, I think the acoustics is not very good. Otherwise fantastic and can recommend to all looking for a fine dining experience, I will be back with my wife.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Wonderful night with family. Our table was right by the window. The food (including crayfish!) was superb and the service could not be faulted. It was really nice to have out coats efficiently taken off us at the start of the evening and returned at the end without any fuss.
The only slight problem was that of noise. Up to 93db at times but this did not detract at all from the overall excellent experience.