“Read, be smart and stay out of there”

Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Hi Travelers,

I've currently stayed in that particular backpacker and must say it was anything else than enjoying.

Lonely planet says it's a new backpacker but it is not!!!

The rooms are fitted with bunk beds (I stayed in a 6 bed dorm) and it was a mess and not clean at all. Every room has luggage boxes to be able to lock something away. However there was one of them right at the start of the isle which has a broken lid. Somebody must've tried to open that box violently while being locked, which looked very welcoming and trusting.

The toilet and shower facilities were old and shabby and there is almost no privacy because of those huge windows which are equipped with normal glass. Basically the showers are in a little cabin. It's almost impossible to squeeze around the shower door and the "cabin"-wall into the shower or the other way around as a normal sized person. You will find a hook for your clothes but anything else needs to be put onto the wet floor. The water was cold when I took the shower in the early morning hours...

I only stayed one night and I was even more exhausted the next day because of lack of sleep. First it was impossible to get one eye shut, the room was bright because of street lights outside which easily shine through white curtains. A few room mates returned at 4am in the morning throwing there things on the bed and making lots of noise, whereas one of them turned around every three minutes in the bunk bed which caused an enormous earthquake every time she turned around.

Security: There was almost none. People from my room didn't take the responsibility to lock the door of the room. The luggage box was to small for all my stuff and what I mentioned first, it didn't look safe anyway. So, who in that hostel is responsible when something went missing, but I've to be responsible to lock the room and others don't care? I brought that incident up towards the receptionist and they took somehow action but offending the wrong person who had nothing to do with the unlocked door at all. The staff was not behaving in a confident, supporting and responsible manner.

Yeah, it's great to have staff working who speaks all sorts of languages but it doesn't make the hostel looks great.

One of these Korean blokes from the reception thought he knows everything about NZ and wanted me to get the idea that I've bought the wrong tickets but felt terrible upset when I asked him whether he was from Korea... He'd better go and learn how to do proper customer service and study local travel and tourism before he gives advice.

They offered to look after ones luggage while checking out earlier. The Japanese lady asked me to put it in the lobby next where the brochures are, that would be safe there... It's an unbelievable irresponsible, unprofessional and untrustworthy service there.

All I can recommend you is to stay somewhere else!

Good luck.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank biggiboss
There are newer reviews for Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers

Reviewed 1 February 2013

The room smelled terrible. The window was extremely unsafe for my two year old daughter, she could easily have climbed out and fallen three flights to the street below. The mis matched bed linen was so old it was transparent. The bed was uncomfortable. The pillows were lumpy. The floor was filthy. There were two wet patches on the floor. The air con was so noisy I was unable to sleep. The common areas and bathrooms were filthy. The curtain did not fit the window and was stained.

The 'operations manager' Shingo Furuichi is unwilling to address these concerns.

This is the worst accommodation I have ever seen.

Room Tip: Go to a different hostel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sooziem
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Great Location (except no parking!) BUT in a Noisey area (central CBD).
Reception staff lovely - BUT reception area a mess.
Clean, Basic accomadation with towels supplied BUT curtains didnt fit and windows didnt shut!
Booked a triple room, from what i read, should have been 3 single beds but ended up with 1 double and 1 single. Wasnt such a stresser as only needed somewhere to rest our weary heads for 1 night.
I am sure there are worse and the cost, location and friendlyness of staff made it a good stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank thecouple178
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I've been in New Zealand for about 6 months, in different places.
Every backpackers has something special, but on this backpackers happens something really amazing, the people who works there it's really nice (cleaners, receptionist, managers), always they are sharing with others and having a great time near to the reception, in the kitchen or in the smoking area.
It's a clean place and the rooms are ok for the price.

If you want to have a good experience with different kind of people and in an excelent environment, I definitely recommend this backpackers.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Alonso L
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I spent one week in this hostel. In my opinion is really nice. The staff is really kind. They helped me in organize my trip around New Zealand with a lot of options and information that I had no idea. They plan all my trip at a really good price. :) Is not a dry hostel and you have a smoking area, you can sit there and don't have go out to smoke in the street. The rooms are quiet. I stayed in a 10 bed without any problem. The bathroom is clean and airy.
I recomend this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Pri S
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Whilst travelling in New Zealand for 1 month we booked this hostel because the city accommodation was fully booked - it was the worst experience of the trip. When we arrived we were told these were the last 2 beds. You could not access the beds at all due to baggage in the way from other guests that had been living there for a prolonged period of time. The room was windowless, hot & smelly. We immediately started walking up the road checking for late availability in the nearby hotels and were able to secure alternative accommodation. On returning to the hostel we were denied a refund and offered an alternative room, however the attitude of the staff was so unfriendly that we had decided that under no circumstances were we going to stay at this hostel. It is worrying that lone female travellers may be in this environment. Avoid this hostel.

Room Tip: Avoid this hostel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank megan m
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Me and my friend almost checked out again after just checking in. I'm not sure what the smell was and where it cam from but it wasn't pleasent. Luckily the the next day it was almost gone. twin room was basic and sheets clean, carpet not though.
We've chosen it for location and cheap price but wouldn't choose it again.
Staff didn't know the area too well but tried to helpby going on internet for us and were friendly.

• Stayed: February 2012
The Albion Hotel
The Albion Hotel
#202 of 266 in Auckland
Base Auckland Central Backpackers
Base Auckland Central Backpacker...
#65 of 130 in Auckland Central
Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel
Nomads Auckland Backpackers Host...
#66 of 130 in Auckland Central
Quest on Hobson
Quest on Hobson
#20 of 130 in Auckland Central
Haka Lodge Auckland
Haka Lodge Auckland
#3 of 130 in Auckland Central

Been to Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers? Share your experiences!