“Excellent Place!!”

Ranked #83 of 114 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Canada
“Excellent Place!!”
Reviewed 4 October 2009

This palace is the best one I ever stay in NZ.
The staff are most welcoming , friendly and informative.
24 hours reception is good for safety.
The location is just across from Skytower. You can walk in at night with no problem.
and this hostel is very clean.Its very comfortable place to stay.
I will recommend to everyone.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank RockiesCanada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Hilversum, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 September 2009

For New Zealand standards, this is a poor hostel. Thin mattresses and rooms that are too warm. Kitchen is way too small and it is not a good place to meet people. It's not horrible, but I would not recommend this.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Travelledalot25

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I think this place must've changed since the first reviews were written. I found the staff very helpful, nice, and fun. The other people staying at the hostel were lovely, nice, and respectful in terms of space, cleanliness, and noise levels. I had a very comfortable time there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank bette1stl
Havant
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Staff at checkin overcharged us for room, despite booking on hostelbookers and having a pre-agreed rate, we where charged completely different price, had to argue for an hour to sort this out.
Room was large, empty, VERY loud, uncomfy and no air-con (we stayed in double) pillows where dirty.
Where both backpacking and dont have any high expectations at all, but this place is the same price as a 4-star hotel down the road (Oaks group) dont stay here, we checked out within 2 hours and checked into base, which is a 2minute walk down the road and so much cheaper.
Rooms there are comfy quite, have a TV and private shower aswell.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m_orchard02
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2009

We only stayed at Surf 'n' Snow Backpackers in Auckland for one night on a stopover whilst travelling through the North Island. We were dropped off directly outside the hostel and immediately we thought what a great location it was in. It is in the very centre of the CBD (Central Business District) and one road along from the main high street which has a load of shops and restaurants and a short walk to the bus station. We'd already been in Auckland for a couple of nights beforehand and so we didn't want to do much - just wanted to have a wander round the shops but our previous hostel had been much further out of town and we would have been in a much better position if we'd have stayed at Surf 'n' Snow.

We were checked in easily and quickly and there was a lot of information in the reception/common room area if you hadn't been to the city before such as maps and leaflets about activities all over New Zealand. There was also a huge range of books that you could exchange for your own as well as internet access and telephones. The bathrooms were decent with plenty of showers and toilets that were kept nice and clean.

Our room was up a couple of flights of stairs and there was building work going on but this didn't get in the way or interrupt us at all. As we were only staying for the one night we went for the cheapest option of a 10 bed dorm which surprisingly was actually OK. I hardly got woken up at all when the other guests came in and we were the first ones to go to sleep! But I suppose that just depends on who you have in your dorm though. The dorm was a good size, vary basic, and had 5 sets of bunk beds - although I was in the bed by the door which made my stay a bit cramped as the door couldn't open fully. It was a bit of a struggle getting up and getting my huge backpack out of the door in the dark in the early hours of the morning to catch a bus! Reception is 24 hours which was great for our early check out.

Our room was about 24 NZD which worked out to be around £9 each per night which is a great price for such a great located hostel. If you have a VIP or YHA card you also get a $1 discount.

As we were only there for the one night we didn't use a lot of the facilities such as the kitchen so I can't advise on that. I definitely wouldn't stay in the 10 bed dorm if I was staying there for more than a night but I would recommend the hostel due to the location and good prices - it was a great stopover for us.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsAylasAdventures
London
Reviewed 9 November 2008

I have just returned from a tour of New Zealand and I spent my first two nights alone here at Surf n' Snow when I arrived. As a young woman travelling alone I was clearly quite nervous, but the staff at Surf n' Snow made me feel so welcome and safe. They let me check into my room early so that I could have a sleep, and were very informative about things to do/places to eat etc. I had a huge single room to myself and yes the place is basic, but I found my room was clean and comfortable which was all I really needed for a great start to my holiday!

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — Accommodation was basic and quite bare
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank the_travelling_bug_7
London
Reviewed 2 October 2008

We got bed bugs after one night here, and left the following morning. although they gave us our money back they weren't sympathetic at all. Generally it was horrible and glum, there are so many other places better than this place.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kejal1987