“If the stove would just work........”

Quest Newmarket Serviced Apartments
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The Quest Newmarket appartments are very well appointed and located so close to public transport you couild throw a stone and hit the train station!
The appartment I used was relatively clean however the bathroom wasnt that great and the cook top didnt work which made cooking nearly impossible - when I reported this the receptionist lead me to believe they knew about this but hadnt done anything to remedy the issue.
Despite this I would use them again but would need to check everything worked prior to unpacking for the week.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Daviscres, Owner at Quest Newmarket Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

DJj, Thank you for your review. I'm sorry we seem to have not hit the mark for you on this visit. I think there is a bit of misunderstanding regarding the cook top. There is a fast and a slow cook plate built into the unit so there will be a difference between them when you are using them. We are about to enter our refurbishment and the benchtop along with the cooking unit will be repalced. This is what the Receptionsist was trying to communicate rather than that we knew about a problem that we hadn't addressed. I trust this clarifies the situation.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

We had some of the best and most consistent service we've ever encountered in our travels. Certainly more than you'd expect from a serviced apartment. Everything was extremely comfortable and spacious. Cleaning every day was good. Layout of the apartment worked very well. Bathroom and bedroom were a little tired in appearance but everything worked well. Would recommend and stay again. Very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank hereinbody
Daviscres, Owner at Quest Newmarket Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2013

Thank you for your glowing review. I will certainly pass your compliment to staff. We are about to begin refurbishment so the tiredness will disappear but the service won't!

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Our room was quite nice & really clean. Was a bit dissapointed that we had a room on the train side as I had requested a room on the other side when booking 6 months earlier. They were a bit noisy early in the morning, but not as bad as previous writers had described. Check in was smooth & friendly & informed us of the the places we wanted close by. Quite a few restaurants & shops within walking distance which was good. Bed was super comfy. Luckily we had only hired a corolla as the carparks were rather tight & wouldn't have wanted to park a larger car there.
All in all a nice place to stay

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Daviscres, Owner at Quest Newmarket Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Sorry we were unable to meet your room request. We always try our best. Don't worry about the size of the car parks. We have a carpark downstairs that has heaps of space for larger vehicles. Just let us know you are driving a larger model car.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

For those that think downtown Auckland is a pretty drab place to stay Newmarket is a good option. Lots of restaurants and funky shops within 5 mins walk. I have stayed in a few Quests and think this one meet expectations - good sized clean room, friendly staff, reasonably well priced. I requested a non train facing room so had no issues with noise in the room and slept well. A busy property so obviously rates well with other business travelers.

Room Tip: Suggest don't stay if u cant get a non-train side room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Daviscres, Owner at Quest Newmarket Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Thank you for your positive review. We're really pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to host you again soon!

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Couldn't fault the apartment - check in was efficient and helpful, with the friendly checkin clerk doing a quick drawing on a map to show me the location of somewhere I needed to get to.

The room was a good size, well appointed and well maintained. The kitchen had everything for a long stay, and the decent size bathroom had a washing machine and dryer. Bed was nicely made, very comfortable. The whole place felt clean, modern and smart. My apartment had a really large outside space as well (the higher apartments just have balconies but I had a large patio).

The downside - and unfortunately it was a huge one - was the noise! The apartment is right on the Broadway, but actually the road noise was a tolerable hum. It was the trains that were the problem - the hotel sits right next to the train line, directly above the tunnel where the trains emerge to start the slog up the hill. Ever heard a train revving up for an incline, echoing and amplified as it emerges from a tunnel? Well, my night there was an 'ear-opener', even with the doors and windows fully closed.

Such a shame, as it's not the hotel's fault and other than that it was a great place to stay.

Recommended - for heavy sleepers, and people who want a very good value, extremely smart/well apppointed room and can tolerate the noise. Or maybe there are rooms on the other side of the hotel away from the train line? Worth asking.

Room Tip: Very large patios are available for some rooms, which might be good if you have kids. The higher ap...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Daviscres, Owner at Quest Newmarket Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

SCJM. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Appreciate the positive points you made about the apartment and staff as well as the trains. You may have noted that electrification of that line is well underway which will make a huge difference. Please ask for an apartment on the other side when you come to stay again.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

We loved the location. Newmarket is a good area to be in. It has great shops.Nuffield St, Morrow St, Teed St & Osborne St for good boutiques, ladies. I can't comment on menswear as I had a one tracked mind !!
Teed St Larder is great for breakfast , lunch , coffee, great juices and smoothies too.
Zarbo Delicatessen and Cafe in Morriw St is really good, too.
Buses run down to the waterfront etc on a regular basis from Broadway.
Getting back to the accommodation:
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
They offered us the use of their Navman for excursions in car. This was great and made driving in the city and beyond a breeze.
Our 1 bedroom apartment was on the railway line side.
As I am a light sleeper I asked to be moved to quiet side but apartments were fully booked.
We were on the 5th floor. When I saw that earplugs were provided on bedside tables I was immediately alarmed . I have never struck this before and have traveled very extensively!
The trick when using earplugs is to travel with a small container of Vaseline & to apply to earplugs prior to pushing into ears. This prevents skin being damaged and causing irritation when removing.
The passenger trains were fine but every so often a freight train, perhaps, went by and it sounded like it was coming into our room!
I must add that my husband slept through this and my own earplugs, which I always travel with, blocked out all noise.
We stayed here 5 nights.
This 'noisy ' side is the sunny side, so you can choose between sunshine or quietness .
The bed was very comfortable.
I

• Stayed: March 2013
Daviscres, Owner at Quest Newmarket Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Wow, you really made the most of your time in Newmarket! Thank you for taking the time to let future guest in on the secrets! Appreciate the positive review - thank you.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed for two nights on a business trip - couldn't get usual hotel in town and this was closest option. This property is better than some other Quest locations I've used, but it still some way off what would be considered a 'normal' modern standard.

The room was clean and well presented, but the furniture is old fashioned and in my room a little worn out. Service was good both days and the bathroom was a good size and well equipped.

My major complaint would be noise. I had a room right next to the lift shaft which meant regular noise every time the lifts were used. The apartment block is also RIGHT next to a railway line and there were regular, very noisy trains passing by. You know that noise might be an issue when you find complimentary ear plugs in the bathroom.

The location is good, however, if you aren't bothered about a central Auckland spot. Really well placed for the shops, cafes and other entertainment in Newmarket.

Will appeal to some and is reasonable value for money, but I won't stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the block, away from lifts, main road and railway line.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Daviscres, Owner at Quest Newmarket Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Paul, I'm sorry our decor wasn't to your taste. Its the first time we have been old fashioned. However we are due to refurbish this year and hope you will revisit us accordingly. I'm pleased our service didn't let you down.