“Centrally located and convenient”
Review of Quest Ponsonby

Quest Ponsonby
Ranked #58 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Had a function to attend in Ponsonby so chose to stay at Quest Ponsonby. The rooms were small but perfect as we only needed a bed for the night. Reception was friendly and efficient and parking was offered underneath for a small extra charge.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Accommodation is OK if a little expensive and we had to contend with a party next door on one of the 3 nights we stayed. But we really resented being deceived by the manager about our booking for which we ended up paying twice. He has declined to negotiate a fair outcome.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Team meeting and we booked double rooms - one for the girls and one for the boys. They were huge.
Both the boys and girls had two units each. The middle area, with doors opening into a shared kitchen/lounge area. Was spacious, clean and enjoyed. Thanks.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and were not very impressed. We were let down from the start by this hotel.

When we arrived on a Sunday night the front door was closed and locked and no staff were at the front desk. We had to buzz a certain number and then wait for someone to buzz us in after waiting a few minuted outside with our bags. There was an envelope with our name on it and a key to our room but no one to discuss anything with. Okay thats weird but whatever... We then got to our room, which was quite average and much smaller than it looked in the photos online. Again a little disappointed. We then turn on the A/C and head into the shower. The shower fan doesn't work (no biggie) so the room steams up. Then I wanted to use the WiFi that was listed as a service of the hotel but there was no instructions to I called “0” on the phone hoping someone would be there. There was and they explained to logon to the internet and a page would appear where we could enter our cc# for internet access. So I tried that and it came up with an error message and didn't work. We informed the front desk (via phone) that it didn't work and they say they are experiencing problems with their Wifi and should have it fixed in a few days; so we are out of luck. Luckily I was able to connect to the city Wifi on the street from the room but i assume many others in the hotel could not do that. It turns out that the city charged less than half what the hotel did. The city was $7 for 3-days and the hotel was $15 for three days. Thats ridiculous! Then sitting at a table using the city internet I look down to see a dirty Q-Tip on the floor. You know the thing used for cleaning wax out of your ears. Yuck. So the room was obviously not cleaned very well. Its about this time that I felt the the A/C was too cold so I went to change the temp and discovered that the thermostat in the A/C didn't work. So we either had to turn it on and let it blow cold air or turn it off and let it get hot in the room. So every few hours you had to turn it on and then turn it off and then turn it on again to maintain a comfortable temperature. At this point I am getting upset. The next day there was someone at the front desk and we told them of the issues. They said they would send someone up to the room while we were out to fix the issues. When we got back the Q-Tip was gone but the A/C and Fan and internet still didn't work. I asked them and they said that the A/C settings were changed now and it should work. But it didn't work. Finally I spoke to a staff member that said there is a problem with the system that they know about but do not want the guests to know about and “don't tell anyone i told you”. In other words I cant fix it and it wont be fixed because they know about the problem but choose not to fix it for whatever reason.
We then discussed leaving and finding another hotel as we were totally disappointed with this one. And this was not a cheap hotel. If I got this experience at a cheap hotel then I would say thats what you get for the money, but for the money we were spending i expected things to work! Someone at the front desk said that would speak to the owner about some sort of compensation for all the problems we had when he got in. I thought that was fair and looked forward to hearing from them. On the last day we spoke to the owner/manager as he was not in until then and told him of the situation. No one had spoken to him he said and so we had to explain it all again. He said that his guests are the most important thing and that they treat their guests like gold. But that there was nothing he could do. The internet was now working he said and it shouldn't be a problem in the future. I was leaving the next day so I was more concerned with what had already happened that what would happen after I left. He kept saying that guests were very important but that there was nothing he could do. English was not his first language obviously so there was a bit of a communication issue. In the end I told him that I wanted a discount of some kind as the stay was terrible and many things did not work. He finally said that he would let us have our parking for free. That was worth about 10% of the hotel costs.

The location was close to many restaurants which was nice but that was the only good thing. Also you should have a very small car if you want to park underground in their parking area as it is TINY. Very hard to squeeze in anywhere or turn around with a mid size car.

In the end I was very disappointed in the hotel where we paid close to $500NZ for 3 nights and it was not clean and many things didn't work. We feel that we had to fight with the manager to get any compensation. He said that the guest is very important but didn't do anything really to show that.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone based on my experience.

Room Tip: Tiny underground parking, beware if not in a compact car.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Spent one night here for a business related trip. There were four people in our group and we got an interconnecting room. One room had a 1 bedroom suite with a lounge,dining table and full kitchen facility. There was also a big bathroom too. On the other side of the room was a studio type room with its own mini kitchen and bathroom. It was very adequate for our group. It was a comfortable stay and I was very impressed as I have not stayed at a Quest hotel this was a great first experience as the room was clean and tidy also decorated very nicely. The bed was comfortable and the TV reception was good. We had 2 flat screen TVs.

On the downside our view wasn't that great. Not the fault of the hotels but there was a huge hole in the ground, it looked like a development was incomplete and left like that. Didn't look all that appealing to look at. On the upside though this complex is close to may eateries and shops. It was a less than 5 min walk to where our group were working which was good as we did not have a car.

I would stay here again and would recommend it to those who want a place to stay in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We stayed for 2 weeks in one of the serviced apartments. Very good size and all the facilities. Huge bed and you could have a party in the bathroom. They charge extra for parking and internet. The internet fare is obscene, this s the main negative point. Apart from that everything else was good. Rooms facing Ponsonby road are noisy.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Well located in Ponsonby with good access to the city and motorways; good quality no frills accommodation. Good carpark. One of my favourite ethnic restaurants is only a few steps away and there is some quirky shopping also within a minutes walk.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business