“Quest Ponsonby - not bad”
Review of Quest Ponsonby

Quest Ponsonby
Ranked #58 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We checked in late evening, there was an envelop with the key waiting for us. As my stay was prepaid already, I was a bit unsure with instructions on what to do next... particularly for paying for parking in the underground garage (i didnt prepay this part). I didnt want to get a ticket so I left my c/card details on the form & slipped under the closed office counter.

The room was simple but comfortable & clean. They arent overly large but we werent staying inside much so it didnt bother us to have much space. I have stayed at other central city hotels with rooms worse than this so it was averagely decent.

The TV was a bit of a let-down. There is a sky magazine in the room, but no sky TV. Apart from TV1 I cant remember what other standard NZ channels there was, but there werent many, so that was a bit disappointing. Then again, they dont advertise having SKy so I guess this is fine.

There was a giant construction site on the backside of the complex, but there was no noisy work happening when we were there.

Good location for dining on Ponsonby Road. And shopping.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed here only for 1 night, it was clean and tidy. Great Location, an easy walk across the road to some fab restaurants. Room had a king bed which I always love. It also had a washing machine which is always a bonus.The entrance area is very dated but the rooms are not too bad.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Parking before check-in is bit tricky if there's more than one carload of guests arriving at the same time. However, check-in process was completed quickly and the drive to the designated Quest parks is well sign posted and free of tight corners for a large car.

Room was clean and tidy with adequate modern facilities, although there's no Sky just freeview channels. Not much of a view with a construction site outside, but thankfully the site was free of machinery and tradespeople. One pleasantly couldn't hear a sound overnight or on the Sunday morning.

Bathroom was clean with room to move, and the shower had good pressure. The towels were fresh and clean, although perhaps they were brand new or made from a hydrophobic material because they were ineffective at drying wet bodies and left white lint everywhere.

If Quest updated the towels I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SoulAllDayer
Drishti C, Owner at Quest Ponsonby, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and posting your valuable feedback. I have noted your concern very carefully and I am taking appropriate actions to avoid re-occurrence.

Your feedback helps us to improve and deliver better. I look forward to welcoming you back in a better room, hoping to change your experience during your next stay with us.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I really like Ponsonby road so was happy to be staying here. Location is awesome and close to so many awesome places to eat. Room had good facilities, washing machine, dryer, microwave and was modern. Few little problems, our room was on the west side and there is a gigantic construction site outside so from 7:30am the room was vibrating from the heavy equipment and it was very very loud. Don't get a room on this side if you want to sleep in. Also we found a bag of old (used) nappies under the curtains and some prescription pills under the bed that were missed by the cleaners. Advised management when we checked out.

Room Tip: Keep away from the construction site side

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and providing your feedback. I am happy to hear that you love Ponsonby and enjoyed eating at the wonderful places in the vicinity. However I am seriously concerned and disappointed to see the poor standard of your room and I would like to take this matter seriously with my housekeeping team, to prevent re-occurrence, as this is definitely not acceptable. If you could please get in touch with me directly on drishtichopra@questponsonby.co.nz and provide me further details of your room.

Your feedback helps us to improve and deliver better. I look forward to welcoming you back in a better and quieter room, hoping to change your experience during your next stay with us.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed at the Quest Ponsonby last Tuesday and Wednesday nights and it was Awful! Upon arrival I was directed to room G1 which is a ground floor pokey room that backs onto a construction site. Upon entering I noticed an unpleasant odor that probably came from the drain. I conveyed my concern about the smell and the potential noise to the front desk and was brushed off. That night at just after 10pm an altercation between staff occurred outside my door (next to where the waste bins are kept), at just after 5am I was woken by the men gathering said bins and then at just after 7am by the heavy rolling machines starting up on the construction site, complete with diggers - all happening right outside the window! When I complained to the man at the desk again he informed me I would be hard pushed to find somewhere else to stay in Auckland and was very unhelpful!! I would strongly recommend that everyone avoids staying at the Quest in Ponsonby, at least until the construction out the back is finished and it has been properly cleaned. Do not expect any empathy or help from the staff as they do not care at all. I wish I had read trip advisor before booking to stay there, would of totally avoided the stress of not sleeping and driving while overtired! Dirty noisy place! Do not stay here if you can possibly help it!!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here!
4  Thank Sophia C
Drishti C, Owner at Quest Ponsonby, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback, as it helps us identify and rectify problems.
I am disappointed to know that you did not enjoy your night’s sleep and that the staff was not helpful.

I am taking this further and speaking with the concerned staff member and providing further training to ensure no guest has to face this again. This is not the standard service of Quest Ponsonby and I would like to apologize that we could not arrange a room swap as we have been fully booked these days.

I look forward to welcoming you back in a better quieter room and hoping to change your experience during your next stay with us

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed the Quest Ponsonby last week for a business trip as the property was in the middle of the businesses that I had to visit in the greater Auckland area during the week.

I was allocated room G3, which was a room that was accessed directly from the courtyard before you enter the building at reception. The courtyard is constructed of concrete and glass which makes it very reflective and creates an acoustic environment where noise is amplified.

As a result this particular room was subject to a constant stream of noise either from people entering or leaving the property, road noise from the street, and the after hours intercom that was used at all hours of the night to contact the after hours reception. This made for a very disruptive environment in which to get a good nights sleep.

After the first night I complained to the front desk about the noise especially from the intercom, rather than listening to my concerns the gentleman at the front desk actually advised me that it didn't happen and shook his head, saying that I must be mistaken from where the noise was coming from. During second night I was forced to call the after hours reception as there was someone on the intercom at 3:45 am yelling at someone on the other end. Once again complaints feel on deaf ears. The next day I asked to be moved, I was told that they were full and nothing could be done.

After returning from work on day one, I was surprised to see that my room had not been serviced. I went to reception to follow this up with the front desk, the gentleman at the desk advised me that they would look into it, what he actually meant was that he was going to come directly to my room to see if it was actually not cleaned. Upon entering the room and confirming that the event did actually take place he advised me he follow it up with house keeping. 5 minutes later I got a knock at the door, it was the front desk advising me that I had my do not disturb sign on my door, which is why they didn't clean my room. I pointed out that the sign was clearly on the back of my door, and that the room should have been cleaned. He repeated that the sign was on the front of the door, I was exasperated by the complete suspension of reality. The room was eventually serviced after demanding that it take place.

What is also of interest to anyone that is contemplating staying at this establishment, and is not advised anywhere on their website is the large Countdown supermarket and independent shop development taking place on a very large parcel of directly behind the Quest. This is only in the early stages of work with only earth moving taking place, if you search the countdown website you find all the details in relation to this development.

I stay in many different hotels, and serviced apartments through out year for my job. What I find amazing about this property was the total lack of disregard for customer service this establishment showed, to openly apportion blame on the guest of the problem and not acknowledge they were at fault smacks of complete arrogance.

Room Tip: Don't accept any room with a G in front of the number, be wary of the development taking place a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Over30flightsperyear

Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize for the disturbance that the construction site located behind the hotel has caused you, I appreciate that you will understand its completely out of our control.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The best apartments and staff in Auckland. I need up staying longer than I needed as the staff were so nice and the rooms were perfect. I had a great view opposite a park. The rooms were really quite and the location was perfect as Poncenby is my favourite part of Auckland. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
QuestPonsonby, Owner at Quest Ponsonby, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2016

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your stay with us here at Quest Ponsonby. We certainly appreciate receiving feedback on our property, whether positive or negative as it gives us a good indication of where we need to improve to maintain our standards.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Quest Ponsonby, my staff and I always take the extra mile to welcome our Guests and provide them with a home away from home experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to your next stay with us here at Quest Ponsonby.

Raj Chopra | Director | Quest Ponsonby