“We all loved it and we'll surely be back!”
Review of Parnell City Lodge

Parnell City Lodge
Ranked #64 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Kuching, Malaysia
“We all loved it and we'll surely be back!”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

It was our first visit to New Zealand. We had read so much about the friendly Kiwis. How delighted we were when we were greeted most warmly by Peter, the owner of this cosy place. My daughters, especially, loved the soft and warm beds. Well, that was our first stay. After a fantastic tour south, we returned to this place again. And, this time, it was even better. We were thrilled to hear that we were upgraded to a beautiful Edwardian apartment without extra charge. This place was so amazingly convenient; with the link bus stop just a min's walk away, Pandoro Panetteria Bakery and a 'convenient grocery' shop right across the street. Auckland Museum was within walking distance too. My family of 5 adults and a toddler actually took a relaxed stroll there.
Though the building is slightly run-down, the new owners, Peter and Mei Ling, are doing a great job in refurbishing it. However, what matters most to us was the warmth and friendliness we experienced here. We'll certainly come back again!

Room Tip: Request for Room 12A or 12B. They're delightful.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 71emma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I stayed here a few years ago for 2 months. My most recent stay saw a change of owners. The new owner is great, really made us feel welcome and you could tell he wanted you to enjoy your stay. Great wireless internet, good kitchen and little balcony. Nothing flash but it has what you need. I would recommend. Great location, where it is you can walk to either the City or Newmarket for a bit of shopping.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 July 2011

The room was adequately furnished. But it was too noisy and we couldn't sleep well, as we could hear the sound of people walking upstairs or next door, the sound of water tap. The service was not as friendly as I expected.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank rufinapragono

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Feilding, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My boyfriend, brother, sister and myself spent one night at the Parnell City Motor Lodge. We found the Edwardian apartment very spacious and well eqipped also. Our beds were comfortable and the room was well cleaned. I thought the price was very reasonable for 4 of us and the location was perfect for the arena which was where we were going. The only bad thing I could say was that the room upstairs was very easy to hear, as we heard chairs scraping on the floor. But all up, the Parnell City Motor Lodge was a great stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
sydney, australia
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Stayed just one night before flying home. The downstairs room we were first shown looked ok, but a bit small and dark. We paid more for a larger upstairs room that was full of character and very comfortable, with full facilities (ensuite, kitchenette). The location is brilliant - can walk to the city, Parnell Road is a picturesque stretch of restaurants, antique shops and boutiques if you fancy some upmarket shopping. Highly recommend the Italian bread/coffee shop over the road, or the hotel can do continental b'fast for $7. Onsite free parking is a bonus, wifi available (not free), local phone calls free from room.

Room Tip: Ask to see larger upstairs rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I was booked in to stay 4 nights and left after one. The room I was given was dirty, there was rubbish down beside the bed, hair in the shower and cobwebs all around the ceiling and lights. The walls between rooms were paper thin, in fact I could hear my neighbours making cups of tea/coffee next door!
I went to talk to management the next day to explain that I was leaving as I did not think the room was up to scratch and not worth the price I was paying ($105 per night, which I accept is in the low range for central Auckland but I still expect some proper cleanliness!). The owner became very angry, defensive and refused to help me get a refund (I had paid through AA, a third party booker)
Please also not the photo of the Double Studio Room on the website did in NO way resemble the room I was given. I would have expected to pay $60-$80 for the room I was given.
On the bright side, it is a great location, but I moved to the Parnell Inn, 100m down the road and it was far better.
It's places like this that make me concerned what international travellers will think of us when they come for the world cup.
In summary, dirty room, unhelpful management, misleading photos on the website. Don't stay here, there's better accommodation around Parnell for comparable prices.

Room Tip: The photo's on the website are misleading
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank SJT686
Paraparaumu
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Have stayed here on several occassions in the past for the convenience.
Ideally located at the top of Parnell hill with a pub across the road and as many different styles of food from the many restaurants within 5 minutes walk.
New owner when I stayed this time but will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business