“DO NOT BOOK”
Review of Parnell City Lodge

Parnell City Lodge
Ranked #64 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This place is terrible! Owner is rude, one of the rudest people I've ever met. Rooms are dusty, smelly, dirty sheets and not at all what you would picture from the outside.
I asked for a refund and it was like getting blood out of a stone.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Tgagirl1

Reviewed 7 January 2013

I have stayed at this accommodation of over 7 years on and off. The previous owners ran it down, the current owners are trying to get the place up to standard and are building and renovating.

For a little while now this Accommodation has been under renovation and still is. I have stayed over and over at this Lodge because of its incredible location and quaint setting.

The current owners have done wonders to this place and are making incredible progress. Due to the building conditions at times there can be dust and inconvenience. This place never been has nor will it ever provide a snobby, intense hotel experience even though it is located in the heart of Parnell. You get a spacious and well serviced room, friendly engagement and good service with a smile a which in my opinion, amoung the renovations, is a thousand times better than anal retentive hotels where they are friendly and efficient but through their teeth.

What amazes me is people turn up to this hotel seeing the building work, equipment and materials and expect 100 percent top efficiency and service as well as unreasonable discounts. It is plainly obvious the place is being remodelled. As a fifth generation Kiwi myself from the king Country I have observed Kiwis coming to the Hotel and being the worst customers demanding and scoffing like spoilt brats trying to rip a deal off the man and his family who own this business its embarrassing.

I have found the staff friendly and down to earth but do not bow and beg to me nor follow military routine amoung the work being carried out, they are a family business so be fair and reasonable.

This is an affordable and hard to beat location not a luxury penthouse. Don't try to take advantage of the proprietor. I watched this happen while staying there recently after the customer was already discounted heavily. I was at reception when it happened, the customer threw a tantrum and made vindictive comments when he couldn't manipulate a free nights stay on top of discounts, so don't trust all the bad reviews, some people are honest by truly bad experience, others are nasty when they can't manipulate to get their way. I think your will love your stay here.

I am a musician and I honestly have found this Hotel a cut above the rest for honesty and down to earth Hotel service without the pretense, basically an all around affordable peaceful and spacious stay in Parnell.

Room Tip: Apartment rooms are much quieter now due to renovations as the enclosed verandahs are now a hallway...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank MyFriends C
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This would be the worst accommodation in existence. Picture looks great with the write up promoting edwardian character. Didn't know edwardian character came with filth, dirty smells and questionable as to whether laundering of bedding had taken place. Had to remove the uncovered duvet inner on the bed that clearly looked to have adult stains on it. Ick! Pillowcases, sheets and towels had a grey tinge to them and I'd question if they were freshly laundered. Don't think the owners have heard of fresh air - bathroom smelt of stale mould also. Thankfully the shower tray was clean but on closing the glass shower door it was outlined on the inside with black mould. Being serenaded by the commercial washing machine clunking away at night outside the room didn't do much for me either. Couldn't wait to get out of there while be extremely careful in the car park not to trip up on the building materials inclusive of building rubbish that had obviously been there for some time. This place should be condemned. Owner also needed a personality implant and learn to speak rather than grunt. Summarising the experience - disgusting.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Tee255111
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I personally give Parnell City Lodge a Terrible rating the lowest that I can. I was very appalled with the accommodation that we received and we paid a decent amount of money for it.

There were various things wrong with the unit. The main thing that we noticed was that the unit was not cleaned to the satisfactory level. There was hair on the walls in the shower, dust everywhere including the shelves in the kitchen and the window ledges and the carpet was dirty with stains all over it and needed to be cleaned. There was also mould all around the windows which is a health a safety risk for us as it can make you very sick. I would say that the cleanliness of their cabins is not up to satisfactory level.

On Saturday the 9th of June we come down in the morning before going out for the day and expressed that we were not happy with the cleanliness and gave them a chance to change it, however only our towels were changed and nothing was cleaned. I feel this is not very acceptable as we did ask for this to be done.

There were also other things wrong with the unit that was brought to our attention. They only provided us with two glasses when there were four people staying there. We should have at least been provided with four glasses. There was also no dishwashing liquid or tea towel provided, and the water in the bathroom was two hot almost to the point of burning. I believe if a child was staying with us and has turned the tap on, they potentially could have burnt themselves. Also when we booked this room it stated we would have a private balcony which this unit did not.

Although we are disappointed with all of the previous that I have stated there was a bigger problem that occurred, although due to not having significant evidence can not disclose this. This is really disappointing to us. We realized that they had a client stay in this room for 3months prior to us and we feel that this room should have been aired and checked properly before we were in there.

After voicing our concerns the front line staff was very very rude to me. I believe as a customer I did not deserve to be treated that way.

I am not the first person to complain about Parnell City Lodge, and I strongly believe if they do not change there ways I will not be the last!

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank RachelSearle
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I should have been suspicious when checking in to our booking which was for a Double and two singles. The room ahd a queen bed in bedroom and the double fold down wall bed. On climbing to the 2nd floor to show me the room the owner/manager muttered, "well I think it might have been cleaned." Not wanting to make a fuss we explained the configuration was not as we had booked. Hindsight would have had us ask for a refund there and then. But he kept saying he 'thought he might have another room he could offer us" If the people stranded in Christchurch didn't arrive. We went to our concert and on return at 11.p.m. found a key to another room. Very shabby but also dirty bathroom. Finally after on of our party had moved herself there, we folded down the wall bed - dirty hairy pillows and dirty hairy grotty bed sheets. Clearly never been changed. Oh and cigarette butts on a dish on the outdoor table. Oh, and only 3 towels, when clearly the booking was for 4 people,(did bring more when requested) and the owner manager would not provide clean sheets for us to try and remedy the problem at 11.45 pm. Tried to give us another dirty room. "If you don't want to stay, go somewhere else" Wotif Help Desk was extremely obliging, found us alternative accommodation where we went at 1.00 a.m., but sadly they were not successful in obtaining a refund. We had to pay a second fee at new place. I guess we have put the whole disgusting even down to bad experience, and move on. DO NOT EVEN think about going there.

Room Tip: Go to Barry Court Motels 300 m down teh road
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lorraine T
Reviewed 9 March 2012

When we tried to check in there was no one at the desk and had to wait 30 minutes - no apology. We had booked a room with two single beds and were given one with a double - not suitable for 2 females. He begrudgingly put in a makeshift single bed, did not supply milk or soap and was unfriendly. The place is tired looking, peeling paint on the steps, rubbish outside and needs a good clean up. The best feature is its location - right in Parnell and there is parking. However I would never stay there again. The owner needs to learn some people skills.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank beachwalkers
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Small rooms, scruffy, dark, old and lacking cleanliness - don't stay here! From the outside it is obvious the place is in disrepair and the inside is even worse. Echo the comments of a previous reviewer who mentions how good the photos look. A major disappointment coupled with terrible service. You can get much better value for your money with the accommodation choices on offer in Auckland. I picked this for its location - and wished I hadn't.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo