“Reasonable.”

Ranked #64 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Gold Coast
“Reasonable.”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I believe the hotel has new owners, anyway I found it reasonable. It was in a perfect location to access bus transport to the city. The eateries close by were good, especially the "Coffee Club" restaurant, wonderful fish and chips. Easy to go to Newmarket shopping centre or to the railway.
The hotel was adequate, but it did lack in several areas, but this could be related to the type of room that we booked. The bathroom was tiny, shower small but good stream of water. The biggest problem was the HAND BASIN - tiny, and the silly shelf was placed above the basin so that when you washed your face or cleaned your teeth, you had to move your head sideways to avoid crashing into the shelf. There were no shelves or drawers, nowhere to place your suitcase. The lamp and lampshade took up all the room on the little side table that there was little room for anything else. Plenty of plates, cutlery, microwave, iron and kettle.
A reasonable stay for a short time.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors probably have more space, ask to see your room first if you plan to stay long...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I wish I had read reviews before booking. This place was dirty. Furniture was old & tatty. Towels & sheets were stained & thin and as for the bathroom I don't know when it was last cleaned.There wasn't even any soap.The website doesn't represent the place at all. I was totally disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Have stayed at parnell lodge for 3 years and have had nothing but the best service. The location is perfect. And the price reflects all this. The current owners are trying very hard fix all the imperfections that they inherited and have made alot of progress. Bottom line a great place to be.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank jasminlee26
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This place is terrible! Owner is rude, one of the rudest people I've ever met. Rooms are dusty, smelly, dirty sheets and not at all what you would picture from the outside.
I asked for a refund and it was like getting blood out of a stone.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Tgagirl1
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I have stayed at this accommodation of over 7 years on and off. The previous owners ran it down, the current owners are trying to get the place up to standard and are building and renovating.

For a little while now this Accommodation has been under renovation and still is. I have stayed over and over at this Lodge because of its incredible location and quaint setting.

The current owners have done wonders to this place and are making incredible progress. Due to the building conditions at times there can be dust and inconvenience. This place never been has nor will it ever provide a snobby, intense hotel experience even though it is located in the heart of Parnell. You get a spacious and well serviced room, friendly engagement and good service with a smile a which in my opinion, amoung the renovations, is a thousand times better than anal retentive hotels where they are friendly and efficient but through their teeth.

What amazes me is people turn up to this hotel seeing the building work, equipment and materials and expect 100 percent top efficiency and service as well as unreasonable discounts. It is plainly obvious the place is being remodelled. As a fifth generation Kiwi myself from the king Country I have observed Kiwis coming to the Hotel and being the worst customers demanding and scoffing like spoilt brats trying to rip a deal off the man and his family who own this business its embarrassing.

I have found the staff friendly and down to earth but do not bow and beg to me nor follow military routine amoung the work being carried out, they are a family business so be fair and reasonable.

This is an affordable and hard to beat location not a luxury penthouse. Don't try to take advantage of the proprietor. I watched this happen while staying there recently after the customer was already discounted heavily. I was at reception when it happened, the customer threw a tantrum and made vindictive comments when he couldn't manipulate a free nights stay on top of discounts, so don't trust all the bad reviews, some people are honest by truly bad experience, others are nasty when they can't manipulate to get their way. I think your will love your stay here.

I am a musician and I honestly have found this Hotel a cut above the rest for honesty and down to earth Hotel service without the pretense, basically an all around affordable peaceful and spacious stay in Parnell.

Room Tip: Apartment rooms are much quieter now due to renovations as the enclosed verandahs are now a hallway...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MyFriends C
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This would be the worst accommodation in existence. Picture looks great with the write up promoting edwardian character. Didn't know edwardian character came with filth, dirty smells and questionable as to whether laundering of bedding had taken place. Had to remove the uncovered duvet inner on the bed that clearly looked to have adult stains on it. Ick! Pillowcases, sheets and towels had a grey tinge to them and I'd question if they were freshly laundered. Don't think the owners have heard of fresh air - bathroom smelt of stale mould also. Thankfully the shower tray was clean but on closing the glass shower door it was outlined on the inside with black mould. Being serenaded by the commercial washing machine clunking away at night outside the room didn't do much for me either. Couldn't wait to get out of there while be extremely careful in the car park not to trip up on the building materials inclusive of building rubbish that had obviously been there for some time. This place should be condemned. Owner also needed a personality implant and learn to speak rather than grunt. Summarising the experience - disgusting.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Tee255111
Cromwell, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I personally give Parnell City Lodge a Terrible rating the lowest that I can. I was very appalled with the accommodation that we received and we paid a decent amount of money for it.

There were various things wrong with the unit. The main thing that we noticed was that the unit was not cleaned to the satisfactory level. There was hair on the walls in the shower, dust everywhere including the shelves in the kitchen and the window ledges and the carpet was dirty with stains all over it and needed to be cleaned. There was also mould all around the windows which is a health a safety risk for us as it can make you very sick. I would say that the cleanliness of their cabins is not up to satisfactory level.

On Saturday the 9th of June we come down in the morning before going out for the day and expressed that we were not happy with the cleanliness and gave them a chance to change it, however only our towels were changed and nothing was cleaned. I feel this is not very acceptable as we did ask for this to be done.

There were also other things wrong with the unit that was brought to our attention. They only provided us with two glasses when there were four people staying there. We should have at least been provided with four glasses. There was also no dishwashing liquid or tea towel provided, and the water in the bathroom was two hot almost to the point of burning. I believe if a child was staying with us and has turned the tap on, they potentially could have burnt themselves. Also when we booked this room it stated we would have a private balcony which this unit did not.

Although we are disappointed with all of the previous that I have stated there was a bigger problem that occurred, although due to not having significant evidence can not disclose this. This is really disappointing to us. We realized that they had a client stay in this room for 3months prior to us and we feel that this room should have been aired and checked properly before we were in there.

After voicing our concerns the front line staff was very very rude to me. I believe as a customer I did not deserve to be treated that way.

I am not the first person to complain about Parnell City Lodge, and I strongly believe if they do not change there ways I will not be the last!

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!