“Love the balcony and handy location - lots of parks and trees nearby” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Parnell City Lodge

Parnell City Lodge
Ranked #66 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland
“Love the balcony and handy location - lots of parks and trees nearby”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2009

It was great to find an apartment style suite in Parnell where i had a nice private balcony. Often easier catching the bus into the city, Link bus stops accross the road, no parking tickets that way. Love waking up here and having breakfast looking out on the balcony, looking out over mature trees, would have had nice views over rangitoto once, but the trees now block them . I also like the fact it is close to the Parnell cafes, Auckland Domain, and of course Pandoro bakery just accross the road for real coffee...mmmm nice food (if you dont mind paying the prices). Excellent service and handy location.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank nzmusicfan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Tauranga
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

We had booked into the Parnell City Lodge for one night. I booked the room on the phone and spoke to Carl, at the time he seemed pleasant enough although not overly helpful.

Due to unfortunate circumstances we had to postpone our trip to Auckland so I rang the motel one week before our scheduled arrival and spoke to a man (who I assume was Carl? I'm not sure because he just grunted in lieu of saying hello). I explained our circumstances and all he grunted in response was "yeah". He hadn't asked my name so I gave my information anyway (not sure how he was going to know which booking to cancel if I didn't!). He still didn't respond to me at all, so I was beginning to think he had misunderstood me so I asked if everything was OK? He just grunted again "yeah" and hung up on me! Not giving me a chance to arrange another time to re-book!

You won't believe how glad I am that our trip was postponed! Needless to say we've re-booked with another hotel The Quest on Carlaw.

Stayed February 2009
2 Thank Kirmat

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2008

We booked a week at Parnell City Lodge after being let down with accommodation we had already booked elsewhere in Auckland. The owner Carl was very friendly and accommodating from the original exchange of emails through to dealing with any requests we had when we arrived. We had a lovely room on the upper floor with free wireless internet connection (which was invaluable as my friend and I are travelling for 2 years and so this facility is very helpful for forward planning!) Our room was very bright, clean, serviced daily and had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. We enjoyed it so much that after a brief week away in the Bay of Islands we needed to return to Auckland and had no hesitation in booking again for a further 4 days. We are even thinking of returning yet again for a few days towards the end of our 6 months in New Zealand! The location is perfect! Only minutes walk from shops, restaurants, cafes, and as a previous reviewer mentioned, you really can get everything you need in Parnell! We love Parnell - it's a classy suburb and is THE place to be in Auckland! We particularly recommend the Chocolate Boutique for a sweet treat!! We thought Parnell City Lodge was extremely good value for money and would definitely recommend it to other travellers like ourselves. It makes a great base for exploring Auckland itself. And the Link bus stops virtually outside the door! If you're looking for somewhere to stay in Auckland that's great value for money, excellent service and a fantastic location then look no further - stay at Parnell City Lodge!

• Liked — Location & friendly service from the owners
  • Disliked — The fact that Carl has not yet opened other motels throughout New Zealand which would make our search for affordable accommodation much easier!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank theKteam
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2008

After spending a few years living in Auckland it was time to move on. Having sold my house and about to relocate to Melbourne I needed somewhere to stay on the occassions I would be in Auckland finalising my affairs. I had always loved Parnell and noticed the Parnell Village Motor Lodge primarily because of its fantastic location opposite the Cathedral and at the top of Parnell Road...plus it was undergoing a stunning new paint job. I booked myself and my daughter in - she for a month and me for a few days. Having sold my car was not a worry as everything you need is in Parnell and for those things you can't find the Link bus stops at the door. We had room number 9 - a one bedroom suite with kitchen facilities and a stunning view of Mechanics Bay from the Balcony. The fold down murphy bed was perfect as an extra double - folding away during the day.

The new owners Carl and Helen go out of their way to make you feel welcome and are gradually upgrading all the rooms. I had a great few days here - enjoying all the restaurants, spa's and even the duelling grand Piano's across the road at the Ivory Lounge! I can highly recommend this lodge and look forward to staying there again when I am next in Auckland

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — No can opener in the kitchenette! should have asked...
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jane B
New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2007

Excellent location, shame about the room. The room had a pull out double bed and a single bed squashed in to a tiny area with a 2 seater couch and that was it. No wardrobe, no where to put your gear in the bathroom, no table... It was clean though and $90 was a good price.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of facilities
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends