“Out of all the places I've stayed in the world, this is the worst”
Review of Parnell City Lodge

Parnell City Lodge
Ranked #64 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Even though this is over 2 years ago, I feel compelled to warn people away from this motor lodge (not a hotel) if it han't changed management since 2006/2007. I have resolved to write reviews after using so many good ones myself, so I'm paying back people's honesty. Basically - the ground apartments were dirty, ours had an ant infestation and they didn't feel very secure. The "management" wouldn't move us and I did everything I could to not pay the full amount, including trying to cancel the credit card hold, to no avail - and I always pay what I owe. Do not let this shabby shack put you off Parnell - it's a nice little village and this accommodation does it no justice whatsover. I stayed in better rooms when I was a student staying in a Washington youth hostel. Visit Parnell, avoid this place.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bunnahabhain

Reviewed 30 March 2009

We were after something basic in a good location and we had no booking, so a big room with three ancient beds for us and two kids was fine. We stayed in the side of the motel that seems to have only been semi-converted from some kind of boarding house. The kitchen area was only a sink and a fridge, and the alley leading to the door looked a bit scary but in the end we had a good quiet night's rest, no frills.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelwith2kidsnow
Reviewed 5 March 2009

Great location and good price for proximity to the city. The room was small but nicely decorated. The details could have made our stay better though. The service was pretty indifferent and the servicing of the room was done very quickly I think. We stayed for four nights and cups were not cleaned or replaced and other details were not attended too - like no teaspoons, sugar for coffee etc. There were lots of little things like this that need attention. Overall a good stay but the details make the difference!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank clank88
Reviewed 28 February 2009

It was great to find an apartment style suite in Parnell where i had a nice private balcony. Often easier catching the bus into the city, Link bus stops accross the road, no parking tickets that way. Love waking up here and having breakfast looking out on the balcony, looking out over mature trees, would have had nice views over rangitoto once, but the trees now block them . I also like the fact it is close to the Parnell cafes, Auckland Domain, and of course Pandoro bakery just accross the road for real coffee...mmmm nice food (if you dont mind paying the prices). Excellent service and handy location.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank nzmusicfan
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We had booked into the Parnell City Lodge for one night. I booked the room on the phone and spoke to Carl, at the time he seemed pleasant enough although not overly helpful.

Due to unfortunate circumstances we had to postpone our trip to Auckland so I rang the motel one week before our scheduled arrival and spoke to a man (who I assume was Carl? I'm not sure because he just grunted in lieu of saying hello). I explained our circumstances and all he grunted in response was "yeah". He hadn't asked my name so I gave my information anyway (not sure how he was going to know which booking to cancel if I didn't!). He still didn't respond to me at all, so I was beginning to think he had misunderstood me so I asked if everything was OK? He just grunted again "yeah" and hung up on me! Not giving me a chance to arrange another time to re-book!

You won't believe how glad I am that our trip was postponed! Needless to say we've re-booked with another hotel The Quest on Carlaw.

Stayed: February 2009
2  Thank Kirmat
Reviewed 19 December 2008

We booked a week at Parnell City Lodge after being let down with accommodation we had already booked elsewhere in Auckland. The owner Carl was very friendly and accommodating from the original exchange of emails through to dealing with any requests we had when we arrived. We had a lovely room on the upper floor with free wireless internet connection (which was invaluable as my friend and I are travelling for 2 years and so this facility is very helpful for forward planning!) Our room was very bright, clean, serviced daily and had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. We enjoyed it so much that after a brief week away in the Bay of Islands we needed to return to Auckland and had no hesitation in booking again for a further 4 days. We are even thinking of returning yet again for a few days towards the end of our 6 months in New Zealand! The location is perfect! Only minutes walk from shops, restaurants, cafes, and as a previous reviewer mentioned, you really can get everything you need in Parnell! We love Parnell - it's a classy suburb and is THE place to be in Auckland! We particularly recommend the Chocolate Boutique for a sweet treat!! We thought Parnell City Lodge was extremely good value for money and would definitely recommend it to other travellers like ourselves. It makes a great base for exploring Auckland itself. And the Link bus stops virtually outside the door! If you're looking for somewhere to stay in Auckland that's great value for money, excellent service and a fantastic location then look no further - stay at Parnell City Lodge!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank theKteam
Reviewed 4 May 2008

After spending a few years living in Auckland it was time to move on. Having sold my house and about to relocate to Melbourne I needed somewhere to stay on the occassions I would be in Auckland finalising my affairs. I had always loved Parnell and noticed the Parnell Village Motor Lodge primarily because of its fantastic location opposite the Cathedral and at the top of Parnell Road...plus it was undergoing a stunning new paint job. I booked myself and my daughter in - she for a month and me for a few days. Having sold my car was not a worry as everything you need is in Parnell and for those things you can't find the Link bus stops at the door. We had room number 9 - a one bedroom suite with kitchen facilities and a stunning view of Mechanics Bay from the Balcony. The fold down murphy bed was perfect as an extra double - folding away during the day.

The new owners Carl and Helen go out of their way to make you feel welcome and are gradually upgrading all the rooms. I had a great few days here - enjoying all the restaurants, spa's and even the duelling grand Piano's across the road at the Ivory Lounge! I can highly recommend this lodge and look forward to staying there again when I am next in Auckland

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jane B