I arrived end of January at 6 am and although the office wasn't open at that time there was a letter for me with a plan where I could find my room. The room was a very comfortable room with a great kitchenette (fridge, microwave, 2 electric pits, toaster, jug, coffee, tea and even milk in the fridge). Apparently the room had been renovated not long ago, because I could smell the new carpet and still a faint smell of paint. The bathroom was very comfy. I asked for a nightstand and the same day it was put next to my bed.
The motel is run by Carl, who is not always in the reception, but you can reach the duty manager by using the phone outside the office. Carl is very helpfull and he gave me some good advises where to go in New Zealand. He's taken over this motel 1.5 year ago and is since renovating all the rooms one by one. The renovated rooms are very cosy and warm. I came back from my trip around New Zealand to stay in this motel again and during my traveling Carl kept my luggage and laptop somewhere safe and locked away.
And then this motel is in a great location in Parnell with loads of cafés, lunchbars and restaurants, near the Domain, near the Rose gardens, the French market, etc. The Link bus stops in front of the motel to go to Newmarket, Ponsonby, Viaduct Harbour or CBD. And a big positive thing is the parking lot in the middle of Parnell. Unfortunately when I stayed there Carl had some trouble getting the free wireless running very well, but he was working on it. And then you'll have free wireless as well.
Servicing the rooms doesn't include making up your bed and doing your dishes, but I don't care; it takes you 5 to 10 minutes to diy.
I would recommend this place to anyone especially considering the price compared to what you get in the middle of Parnell, around the corner where the NZ PM lives (he lives in the same street and probably goes to the same great Italian Bakery on the other side of the street).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Auckland’s No 1 location-in the heart of historical and trendy Parnell. Stroll to 70 restaurants and cafes, boutiques, galleries, museum, 5 minutes to the city centre and in fact just a few minutes from everything. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Parnell City Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Parnell City Hotel Auckland Central
- Parnell City Lodge Auckland, New Zealand