“Getting Better”

Ranked #44 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Getting Better”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Still below expectations for a 4 star hotel. Check out times at 10am is just too early. Lack of amenities such as pool, fitness center and concierge service 24 hours. I got messed around with parking and had to pay extra because the receptionist had their information wrong. Also they ran my card for $500 at check in which seems wrong to me especially at this level! Our king size bed was actually two singles pushed together and not very comfortable. Surely that is not 4 star quality!

Room Tip: Pay for parking on your own at the nearby car park otherwise you will be charged extra!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ITravelall0ver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Elliott Apartments in June . We had a pleasant stay midweek.
On arriving to our allocated room we immediately asked to be moved to a room across the other side of the corridor as the smell from the expel-air system used by the Stables Restaurant filled the room. Had we not been able to move this smell would have driven me mad. The Restaurants run well into the night and even with the windows shut it permeated the room.
Midweek a room facing the street is reasonably noisy but if you are a light sleeper I suspect the weekend would be intolerable. A definite need for earplugs.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank liztait
Taupo, Waikato, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My friends and I recently stayed two nights at the Elliot for the first time. I had an inside room and my friends had a street facing room . The rooms were opposite each other on the same floor. I liked the security of the building and how staff rang to let me know I had a visitor - my sister - and they would not give out my room number . I went to reception to meet her. The room was very clean and well appointed. We were able to park outside for ten minutes to offload luggage and were fortunate to get on site parking ( limited) but there was a public parking site within 200 meters. A perfect location to be in the city with everything so handy.
The wall heater kept the room at a perfect temperature and we all commented on how comfy the beds were. Reception staff were efficent and courteous. The housekeeping staff were attentive and helpful. I loved staying here and my only regret was that it was not longer. I will definitely stay here again when I next go to Auckland. Very reasonable rates considering its location and standard of accomodation. My friend has just arrived from a flight from Norway and the washing machine and dryer in the bathroom were so handy.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Donna M
New Zealand
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We booked an executive suite which was large, clean and had all a small kitchen, and a full laundry. Would be a good spot for travellers who want to be in the city and have apartment facilities. Ask for a room on the 'inside' rather than facing the street. Our room was very noisy...a brawl broke out right below our window, so cop cars, screaming, you name it. Hardly the fault of the hotel of course, thats inner city for you. Lacks polish and not a 'slick' hotel operation, but had character.

Room Tip: Not with a street window as its noisy
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Marie-Celeste
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Not a good experience at all. While it could be a good hotel if it was better run with at least some customer focus if you're here on business look elsewhere for somewhere that doesn't jeopardise your commitments. After a few bad experiences here, despite the good location and charming decor there are much better places to stay in Auckland and next time I will be steering clear of this one.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the Wellesley st. side, the pedestrian beeping will keep you up all night. There i...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rob_chey

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

lakeland
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Family suite small basic, and not terribly clean, extra bed was a fold up in the kitchen! however it is central and its easy to walk around auckland.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cannygirl
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Although the rooms have been modernised this hotel still exudes the charm of yesteryear.
Our apartment was quite large and well presented. i would recommend you book the executive suite as some of the cheaper rooms are on the wrong side of the building, they have no view and the smell from the nearby food court wafts up from the exhaust fans.
the current hotel manager is Ganesh. he's the hardest working man in the business and will go out of his way to ensure you have a nice stay.
TV is older and the chanels dont match with the guide (so what, whos watching TV?)
The wifi signal ($8 per day) wasnt strong enough to use in my room.

my wife and i both thought this hotel represented excellent value for money.

Room Tip: book an executive suite or request an apartment facing Wellesley street to get the best view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple