“loved it, excellent place to stay”
Review of VR Auckland City

VR Auckland City
Ranked #33 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
L:ower Hutt
“loved it, excellent place to stay”
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the Oaks. We were upgraded to a bigger room. The room was clean and comfortable, the bed was really comfy! The homeless shelter down the road was not an issue, we walked past it late at night with no problems. Only issue was we ordered the breakfast package, but no extra milk was provided. It wasn't a major though, and I will happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Finnish first
U.K.
Reviewed 28 March 2011

On first sight I was apprehensive about this hotel, It didn't look very appealing,nothing like the web site photo. The area looked run down,and you have to pass the local welfare hostel to get to it. The reception did little to lift my spirits - very bleak and utilitarian- and on booking in I was told that the 1 bed executive room I had booked did not have a balcony as requested, and as was stated on the site.Also, breakfast was not included as I believed.
However, from then on things improved tremendously.The receptionist was very pleasant and helpful, and I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment with balcony at no extra cost. The rooms were spacious and very clean,2 double beds, with a full kitchen (with dishwasher)and even a washer /dryer.
Access to the rooms was via a locked door operated by the room key card, as was the lift. As a woman travelling alone I felt very safe.
I really enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it, especially for a family.For £50 a night it was good value.
Make sure you get the breakfast included option - pretty basic, juice, cereal bread, jam etc, but I found the cost of buying them for 1 person quite high from the local shop.
Having no transport I walked everywhere - Sky tower 5 mins., with a good bar type menu,
the harbour 20 mins., Queen St. Mall 20 mins- good selection of cheap fast food - all slightly longer coming back up hill!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank gilly2212
ManagerACO, General Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, 30 March 2011
Hi Gilly,

Thank you for your honest and informative feedback. I am so glad that experiences like yours make it to Trip Advisor.

Service + clean + spacious + Location is exactly what we pride ourselves on. Our business is hospitality and making someones stay in Auckland that extra little bit special.

Please note that all our rooms have free breakfast as an inclusion in the room rate. Further, our property is located 500 meters from the Auckland City Mission which we continually support as an ongoing part to our community commitment.

Our serviced apartment hotel is great like you say and we would love to see you back on your next visit to Auckland.

Take care and safe travels.

Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Very good service, included in rate is a continental breakfast supplied, room is also serviced. Limited undergound parking if requested at a minimal cost. Has two separate bedrooms, kitchen with dishwasher, oven & microwave. All rooms were a good size, bathroom included washing machine/dryer. Gives you the option to do your own cooking and washing if you choose, centrally located , close to restaurants and mini market, also New World supermarket not that far away with a free bus which goes straight pass the door. Great improvement with the dark blind covering opaque window between bedrooms. Would prefer the option of having twin beds in one room if possible instead of both rooms having queen beds, especially when we have business collegues with us, bit awkward for them to share a bed together.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Would absolutely stay here again! Loved having the 2 bedrooms, washing machine and dryer was so handy as was the computer/internet available for use in the foyer.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Hi Kathryn

Thank your for your kind review of our property. We pride ourselves on doing the little things right, this includes pricing, cleanliness, free breakfast and the best in-room facilities possible to make stays like yours great.

We are literally a home away from home and I am glad you thought so as well.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards

Plymouth
Reviewed 23 March 2011

The hotel is in a great location in the city centre within walking distance of everything.
The room was well maintained and I thought the hotel provided excellent value for money. I would stay here again any time

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My fiancée and I stayed at the Auckland City Oaks for two nights in a two bedroom apartment. It was more than enough room for the two of us. We were lucky to be on the top floor with the most amazing view of the Sky Tower from our bedroom window and balcony.

The apartment was very clean and had a great kitchen with a large fridge, microwave, oven and draw dishwasher. There was also a clothes washer / dryer in the bathroom which was very useful after coming from Rotorua and having sulfur smelling clothes!

Its a 5 minute walk down to Sky Tower which we did several times and another 5 to 10 minutes down to the quay. There are lots of great places to grab some food around the Sky Tower and we recommend Raviz Indian which we went to after seeing the menu in the compendium.

Our room came with continental breakfasts, which were more than enough to keep us going for the day with 2 slices of bread each, butter, jam, cereal and juice.

Parking needs to be booked and is $20 per day.

Recommend for a city stop over or longer stay!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerACO, General Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Hi Michelle

Thank you for your great review of our property, your photos look great of the Sky Tower. It really does look great at night doesn't it all lit up like that.

I am glad you found the room to be very clean, we have been working very hard with our house keeping department to have our rooms to a level where we can say we are as good as any 5 star Hotel in Auckland in terms of cleanliness.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit and wish you well on your onward journey from Auckland.

Take care

Singapore
Reviewed 21 March 2011

The City Oaks is definitely not a 4 star hotel.It is more a 3 star property.There is no lobby practically.The service is what makes a hotel a 4 star or 5 star but there is a complete absence of service.
We had booked on their website a Hell's package which is supposedly a Dinner package.They provide an outdated voucher just a Pizza-if you are 4 people well you better go hungry!The girl on the reception(Jenny) said you can treat it as a snack,and the moment I questioned her-there was complete lack of civility.I returned the voucher and asked her to check and revert.Another person Riza called me and said he will make an exception-by providing an additional voucher-when I collected ,he just passed one and he said you have collected the other earlier and I said No-which was again not appreciated-definitely not the way to treat a guest.
The two bedded apartment is very compact-on the plus side has a washer and dryer.Toiletries are very limited.Breakfast is touted as a continental breakfast-two slices of bread per apartment which for 4 people becomes limited,juice,slice of raisin bread, little amount of cornflakes.
The location is fantastic-close to the skytower,and next to a Police station which makes the streets see safe.
Check in and Check out is smooth.
While the apartment is ok for families with small kids,it will be a strain for 4 adults.
The Hotel would have been ok if not touted as a 4 star property.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dear Mahesh

Thank you for your review on our property, I appreciate the feedback as well as the correspondence back and forth via email.

As adjudged by Qualmark New Zealand we are a 4.5 star serviced apartment hotel. This is different from a Hotel and we advertise no differently.

I am glad you enjoyed our central location and the safety of the property being adjacent to the Auckland Police Station.

Further a comment if I may, the 'Hell of a Deal' package that was chosen by your family has 1 large pizza as an inclusion in the rate advertised. It is clearly marked on our website that it is for a free large hell pizza. We will have the wording amended to avoid any confusion in the future and appreciate your feedback on this, I apologise for any confusion.

As you can see by our many positive feedbacks, service is something we absolutely pride ourselves on. I will take this matter to our front desk team and remind them how important it is to provide the same level of service to every guest.

I hope to see you back at our property at some stage in the future, if not I wish you well and safe travels back to Singapore.

Kind Regards