“Convenient, central and clean”
Review of VR Auckland City

VR Auckland City
Ranked #36 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 23 October 2013

They provide a very secure and clean place to stay in central Auckland - and include a breakfast delivered to your room each day. We did ask for our room to be serviced which was not done, this may have been missed by the cleaning staff, as when mentioned to the reception they offered to immediately clean the room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Jim
Thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel. Thank you especially for your kind comments on our staff, hotel and room. Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We spent 2 nights at this hotel and found it was just average. The room was moderately sized and we paid to park here only to find that almost everywhere else that offered overnight parking in the city was cheaper.

The room we stayed in included breakfast which was very basic. Location was not too bad though I am not sure I would stay here again when visiting Auckland.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Lilian
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. I look forward to hopefully hearing from you in the near future.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Why: arrived 24 hours later than planned, due to cancelled flight.
Inflexible management refusing to reschedule our stay for one night, forcing us to pay a second night. This, only due to the cancellation policy.
We could inform them only 16 hours before instead of 24 hours. Even, they weren't willing to take into account the official letter of the airlines company.
Really bureaucratic. On top of the studio was ice cold. Warming up the studio before your customers are coming, it's a simple gesture.
Once, but for sure not twice.

1  Thank Sylvie667

Dear Sylvie
We are sorry to hear your experience due to your flight has been cancelled on the arrival date. Please understand due to our 24 hours cancellation policy we were not able to make any change by receive a cancellation notice on the same day. You may claim your compensation from the airlines or your travel insurance.
We do have air conditioning/ heat bump in all apartments, we did not turn it on before guest arrival because we are not sure if all guests are happy to enter a warm room when summer is on the way.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Very disappointed with this hotel. Check in was slow, staff were ok. Told there was limited parking and therefore we couldn't park our vehicle. The room we were in was extremely average with no air conditioning! One of the chairs has a loose leg, surely this should be looked at. The free continental breakfast consisted of yogurt, juice, 2 bananas and a horrible looking cake. Needless to say it won't be eaten. Surely bread could be offered for toasting!!

I would never go back to stay at this hotel and would never recommend to anyone. I have stayed in many hotels over the world and this by far has been a very poor experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest
I thank you for taking the time to share the experience during your last stay.
We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service. I am very disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay. Due to the limited parking space in our hotel, we always recommend guest to pre-book one to avoid any disappointment. We do have air-conditioner in all room, our staff is here anytime to help you for instruction.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We had space for our 3 young daughters to play but still have room to move around in. Easy walking distance to shops & food. Staff was friendly. My only complaint was the room wasn't as clean as I would have liked it too be, especially with an infant crawling on the ground.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear KarsinOhana
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! We appreciate your comments about the standard of housekeeping. This is of a major concern to me, I have addressed your concerns with our Executive House Keeper and will follow up personally. We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Check-in was smooth, and the staff were friendly throughout. I loved that our room had its own washer, but it's some strange washer + dryer all-in-one that absolutely murders your clothes. Everything we put in there came out insanely wrinkled -- some of my pants still aren't wearable after numerous ironing sessions, so beware of that. I'd recommend the proper laundry which is probably 500 meters walk down Hobson St.

The breakfasts are left the evening before, and consist of a juice box, a piece of fruit, a piece of poundcake, a granola bar, and a yogurt cup.

The WiFi is decent, but there are two issues: you have to have a code every 24 hours, and each code is only good for 1GB. We had a 2GB file to download, so we couldn't download it.

Bed was comfy and the shower was great. Overall, a great value for the price, but it's a ~1km walk from the nearest Aorport Shuttle dropoff / pickup. Quick 20 minute walk to the ferry port -- definitely visit Rangitoto and some of the other out islands!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Darren
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! We are sorry to hear that you were facing difficulty with our washing machine, you may call reception anytime for assistance. Take care and I hope you choose us next time when you are in Auckland.

Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the property and was told that although my room was pre paid I had to give them my credit card- normal hotel practice, no problem. I gave them my visa debit card and was told that as its a debit card they would have to take a bond of $250 in case of damage!
I'm a 55 year old woman and I was highly offended.
In the morning I checked out and had to wait while someone went and inspected the room for theft or damage. I was then returned my bond. What sort of people do they have staying here that they have such a policy? It was humiating and I will never stay here again. The car parking is a rip off at $25
The room was a studio so small and the floor was dirty. I can't put my finger on it but I didn't trust the cleanliness of the place.
My advice is pay a few bucks more and stay at the Rendezvous across the road which is excellent and you are treated with respect.
I'm sure the manager of the city oaks will respond with "it's company policy" but I'm not interested in staying anywhere with such a policy. You obviously have some very dubious people staying there.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to read that you had trouble upon check in with your security bond. It is very clear on our website and all other 3rd party websites that a credit card and a valid photo i.d is a requirement upon check in at our property. Further, when a credit card is not available a cash bond will be a requirement upon check in for any incidental charges that may apply during your stay with us. When a credit card is presented no cash bond is required. Please note that this is an industry standard and not property specific. Most properties in fact do not allow cash bonds and instead have the simple requirement that a credit card is a must.
Take care and I hope next time upon staying with us it is an easier experience.
Warm Regards,