“Great place”
Review of VR Auckland City

VR Auckland City
Ranked #36 of 67 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Had a great stay for 5 days.Room clean also bathroom large.There was washerdryer which we put to good use as we had just come of a cruse,we had trouble with washer did not dry but got a room maide to dry washing for us,thry said it must be broken.also stove oven microwave and dishwasher.You get each night put in your fridge, muffen,orange juice,fruite,and grain bar and yougert for your breakfast.shops are near by so we bought extras to go with our breakfast,we also made a evening meal.Staff helpfull and friendly,check out is 10am but you can leave cases in lugage room untill your flight.
Auckland is hilley and the City Oaks is quite high.very close to Cty Tower,a good 15min to Queens St shopping and the harbour.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear david1474
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay even more enjoyable. Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

There are newer reviews for VR Auckland City

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed at Auckland City Oaks earlier this week where we found a few things not working in the room we were staying in.

Some of these things were covered in feedback form we completed, such as: sticky floor, not vacuumed carpet, bits and pieces of rubbish on the floor, lights not working and the most inconvenient of all a washing machine that is not working.

We have raised the issue on 3 separate occasions with various staff members who kept telling us that it is in working order. However, the machine which supposedly wash and dry, does not dry at all. The clothes came out damp even after over 24 hours of us and your staff member trying to sort it out (2 different times).
Then we were told that it was because of the materials they were made out of (cotton). I've used a washing machine and dryer since I was 10 years old and have never found a dryer that cannot dry a set of cotton cotton clothes (under 5 kg.) within 90 minutes. Ask anyone who have used a washing machine and dryer all over the world, they will say the same thing. I'd bet the price of your hotel.

As guests at your establishment, the least we expect is for your staff member to try and assist us in meeting our needs. In the end, after many arguments with your staff members, we left Auckland with a pile of damp clothes which we needed for our trip to Rotorua. And instead of checking out and leaving Auckland by 10 am as planned, we didn't end up leaving until 1.30 pm.

We don't see this as a good form of customer service and no compensation was forthcoming either. Would have been nice to get a discounted rate but we were told that you were unavailable. We were not able to get in touch with any manager.

In any case, I can definitely say that my family will not be staying in any of your establishments in the future because of this experience. We were originally from Auckland ourselves and have travelled NZ extensively. We have yet to stay in a place that provides worse services.

Room Tip: Check everything first before settling in, then change if thongs don't work. We arrived at 02:00...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Valued guest
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service. I am very disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay.We do apologize for our in-room washer/dryer (self-service facility) was not working well during your stay, the clothes not dried even after we took it to the commercial laundry service. Do not hesitate to contact me directly if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed 2 nights here at the start of our North Island trip. It's a nice, clean hotel and good value for money. The included light continental breakfast (delivered to the room the night before) is a bonus for travellers on the move. Our room had a little balcony with views over the city to the harbour in the distance. The bed was very comfortable, and the room dark enough and quiet enough to allow for a good night's sleep. The hotel's location is convenient - within walking distance of the bus interchange for our day trip on the second day, although it's also in close proximity to the city mission for the homeless. We were able to walk down to the harbour and around the city and back to our hotel in one afternoon, thus getting a good sample of Auckland. Free WiFi was very useful and speedy enough. The staff at the front desk were very polite, friendly and helpful, recommending places to eat etc and ordering us a pizza delivery when we were too tired to go out. I have recommended the Auckland City Oaks to other travellers already.

1  Thank KAOSabroad
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear KAOSabroad
Thank you so much for your glowing review, we truly appreciate it.
We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. Great rooms, Great service, Great location – there are no properties in Auckland that can match what we offer with complimentary breakfast and Wi-Fi. It is wonderful to know that you would recommend this hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Auckland City Oaks during the first week of November and it was my first time ever I'm Auckland. Pros;
Hotel was cheap and right in the center of the city which was very nice having. The hotel had a fairly nice continental breakfast delivered to the room the night before. Nothing to get full over but it was nice to have in the morning. And the staff was very friendly and helpful if I had any questions. I appreciate good service. The rooms were very cozy. I liked that the room had a washer and dryer and a full kitchen with stove, refrigerator, microwave and silverware. That was a major plus for me. Free wifi is a huge plus.
Cons;
Some of the things I didn't like was when I first got to the room I noticed there were no facial tissue for my nose I needed to use toilet paper instead. And for having a full kitchen it did not come equipped with paper towel napkins either which was disappointing and confusing. The hotel did support free wifi which is great, but you needed to get a new username and password every 24 hours which I wasn't a fan of. Another con but I didn't mind paying for was the parking was kind of pricey, but for my first time in the city I did not mind paying although the parking garage was a little tight.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at Auckland City Oaks. Mostly due to the fact that it was right in the city and a short walk to various locations like the SkyCity. I would recommend this hotel to stay at if you're staying in the town for a short trip, no more than 4 days I think. If I ever travel back to Auckland, personally I wouldn't stay there again I would like to explore and try other hotels. Maybe pay the extra price for more of a luxury hotel. Traveled as a couple.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HIgummie
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Valued guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

This is the second time we've stayed at City Oaks and once again it's been excellent value for money. The rooms are clean and modern and if you book in advance you can get a room for around £50 a night which is far cheaper than anywhere else in Auckland City. The only things I would say is it's about a 15 minute walk to the port/Britomart and I wouldn't rely on the breakfast. We'll be back again in March.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear gavmountford
It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are looking forward to welcome you back in March next year.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Hi there my partner an I stayed at the Auckland oaks last night I was really looking forward to our stay there in till Not long into staying there. Our TV had no sky channels I was charged 25 for parking but when I got there an read threw manual an it said 20 and vallet parking but there was none of that. Also I asked about late check out an I was told till 1 65 dollars but in the book it stated 3 pm for 65 dollars then my duvet was full of black curly hair when I opened it up to put it on the bed. Then on websites the rooms looked so much bigger an I get a extuetive sweat an it shows views an what not. I get put in a corner on bottom floor were I can not see anything nice. There was a already used soap left out to. So am not happy at all really and I told the staff as I left an they did not say sorry nothing

Room Tip: Higher rooms would be better. i thought getting the room we did we would be in a better place than l...

Dear Blondie318
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. There are a number of issues raised in your feedback, i will pass on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed in a two bedroom apartment. It as perfect for my purposes of attending a conference at Rendezvous. Easy walk to anywhere in CBD. Comfortable and clean. Pleasant staff.
Good kitchen facility. Enjoyed breakfast being delivered each evening, a bonus I hadn't expected.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a balcony & afternoon sun. Back rooms have morning sun.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Fay
We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. Great rooms, Great service, Great location. I am so pleased you enjoyed your short stopover with us as we enjoyed looking after you.