“Good Place to stay”

Ranked #33 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
“Good Place to stay”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

good location within city. close to most of public transport. rooms were well services with all necessary things........ enjoyed my stay with family.Room clean also bathroom large. light breakfast was also provided.

Room Tip: corner suits are larger and more quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Atif S
Thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel.We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Finnish first
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Room was very functional with kitchen including washer/dryer, which we did not use. The breakfast provided was in the fridge when we checked in and was enough for both of us the next morning. It is walking distance to restaurants, etc.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Elsie H
Dear Elsie H
Thank you for your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your short stopover with us as we enjoyed looking after you. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The day we arrived to the hotel the staff at the check in desk were so helpful. We booked a 2 bed-roomed apartment. When we went to the apartment, I noticed in my room there was a huge dead moth under the curtain, which goes out onto the balcony. Showing that maybe the room wasn't hoovered properly the last time a guest checked out. Other then this the room seemed fine.

The hotel itself is situated right next to a homeless shelter with people loitering right outside it. My friend and I are both early 20 year old girls, so walking past this place at night was not very appealing to us.

This first night when we decided to watch tv, we realized there was nothing telling us which channel was what. A lot of them were repeated and some not even working. There was also a light falling out of the ceiling in the living room.

We had gotten complimentary breakfast with our room. This meant a staff member knocking on our door at 7pm to give us: muffins, juice, a yogurt and an energy bar. The booking confirmation I received said continental, which I thought would be pastries and cereal. So we ended up buying breakfast every morning coz it tasted awful.

There was a complimentary fitness centre access in 2 centers close by. This was stated in the compendium. The one that interested us was Les Mills as it is the biggest one in Auckland. When we went to the reception to ask how we go she said that they don't have an agreement with them yet but have it in the compendium to 'attract customers'. After telling the staff member we weren't happy she said the second fitness centre was closer. When agreeing to go to that one she said she had only 1 pass. So we could go but only one could work out at a time, and 'you can watch her for 2 hours, then swap'. REAALLY???? She was very cheeky every time I dealt with her.

We rented a car for 2 days to drive to Matamata and when coming back we needed a space in the hotel. The same staff member as above told me that it was $25 a day and that we hadn't booked a space so I couldn't park there. There was nothing in the booking saying we had to book in advance. After arguing with the member for 15 minutes she gave me a space.

Lastly the internet was absolutely terrible, you had to get a log in (as normal), which only gave you '24 hours' access. But it only really lasted 8 hours. So we had to constantly get internet log in's off the staff members. The SAME staff member as above told me the last night I asked for one that I am asking for too many. If it is with my booking then I am clearly entitled to it. After arguing AGAIN I finally got the log in off her.

Would not recommend this place regardless of how close it is to the centre. The staff members don't care and the service is awful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank lissahhh
Dear lissahhh
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Firstly we do apologize for the dead moth you found in your room, it properly flew in through the open window or balcony door by us to get some fresh air.
We do apologize we were fully booked for the Carpark on that day due to our limited parking space. We always recommend our guest to pre-book one to avoid disappointment, and the information should be shown on most of our website.
And Thank you for your comments about the complimentary light in room breakfast pack (fresh fruit, freshly baked muffin, fruit juice, spreads, premium tea coffee including Moccana and Dilmah, fresh yogurt and a New Zealand made muesli bar). We are one of the few properties in New Zealand that offer complimentary breakfast to all guests. It is disappointing to hear that our service did not work, as it should have. This is something we will address and fix – perhaps there are other options we could look at such as a choice of cereals and milk – none the less, thank you for your feedback – it is something that will help in rectifying the problem for future guests.

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

manchester
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Had a great stay for 5 days.Room clean also bathroom large.There was washerdryer which we put to good use as we had just come of a cruse,we had trouble with washer did not dry but got a room maide to dry washing for us,thry said it must be broken.also stove oven microwave and dishwasher.You get each night put in your fridge, muffen,orange juice,fruite,and grain bar and yougert for your breakfast.shops are near by so we bought extras to go with our breakfast,we also made a evening meal.Staff helpfull and friendly,check out is 10am but you can leave cases in lugage room untill your flight.
Auckland is hilley and the City Oaks is quite high.very close to Cty Tower,a good 15min to Queens St shopping and the harbour.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear david1474
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay even more enjoyable. Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed at Auckland City Oaks earlier this week where we found a few things not working in the room we were staying in.

Some of these things were covered in feedback form we completed, such as: sticky floor, not vacuumed carpet, bits and pieces of rubbish on the floor, lights not working and the most inconvenient of all a washing machine that is not working.

We have raised the issue on 3 separate occasions with various staff members who kept telling us that it is in working order. However, the machine which supposedly wash and dry, does not dry at all. The clothes came out damp even after over 24 hours of us and your staff member trying to sort it out (2 different times).
Then we were told that it was because of the materials they were made out of (cotton). I've used a washing machine and dryer since I was 10 years old and have never found a dryer that cannot dry a set of cotton cotton clothes (under 5 kg.) within 90 minutes. Ask anyone who have used a washing machine and dryer all over the world, they will say the same thing. I'd bet the price of your hotel.

As guests at your establishment, the least we expect is for your staff member to try and assist us in meeting our needs. In the end, after many arguments with your staff members, we left Auckland with a pile of damp clothes which we needed for our trip to Rotorua. And instead of checking out and leaving Auckland by 10 am as planned, we didn't end up leaving until 1.30 pm.

We don't see this as a good form of customer service and no compensation was forthcoming either. Would have been nice to get a discounted rate but we were told that you were unavailable. We were not able to get in touch with any manager.

In any case, I can definitely say that my family will not be staying in any of your establishments in the future because of this experience. We were originally from Auckland ourselves and have travelled NZ extensively. We have yet to stay in a place that provides worse services.

Room Tip: Check everything first before settling in, then change if thongs don't work. We arrived at 02:00...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Valued guest
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service. I am very disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay.We do apologize for our in-room washer/dryer (self-service facility) was not working well during your stay, the clothes not dried even after we took it to the commercial laundry service. Do not hesitate to contact me directly if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed 2 nights here at the start of our North Island trip. It's a nice, clean hotel and good value for money. The included light continental breakfast (delivered to the room the night before) is a bonus for travellers on the move. Our room had a little balcony with views over the city to the harbour in the distance. The bed was very comfortable, and the room dark enough and quiet enough to allow for a good night's sleep. The hotel's location is convenient - within walking distance of the bus interchange for our day trip on the second day, although it's also in close proximity to the city mission for the homeless. We were able to walk down to the harbour and around the city and back to our hotel in one afternoon, thus getting a good sample of Auckland. Free WiFi was very useful and speedy enough. The staff at the front desk were very polite, friendly and helpful, recommending places to eat etc and ordering us a pizza delivery when we were too tired to go out. I have recommended the Auckland City Oaks to other travellers already.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KAOSabroad
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear KAOSabroad
Thank you so much for your glowing review, we truly appreciate it.
We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. Great rooms, Great service, Great location – there are no properties in Auckland that can match what we offer with complimentary breakfast and Wi-Fi. It is wonderful to know that you would recommend this hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Koloa, Hawaii
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Auckland City Oaks during the first week of November and it was my first time ever I'm Auckland. Pros;
Hotel was cheap and right in the center of the city which was very nice having. The hotel had a fairly nice continental breakfast delivered to the room the night before. Nothing to get full over but it was nice to have in the morning. And the staff was very friendly and helpful if I had any questions. I appreciate good service. The rooms were very cozy. I liked that the room had a washer and dryer and a full kitchen with stove, refrigerator, microwave and silverware. That was a major plus for me. Free wifi is a huge plus.
Cons;
Some of the things I didn't like was when I first got to the room I noticed there were no facial tissue for my nose I needed to use toilet paper instead. And for having a full kitchen it did not come equipped with paper towel napkins either which was disappointing and confusing. The hotel did support free wifi which is great, but you needed to get a new username and password every 24 hours which I wasn't a fan of. Another con but I didn't mind paying for was the parking was kind of pricey, but for my first time in the city I did not mind paying although the parking garage was a little tight.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at Auckland City Oaks. Mostly due to the fact that it was right in the city and a short walk to various locations like the SkyCity. I would recommend this hotel to stay at if you're staying in the town for a short trip, no more than 4 days I think. If I ever travel back to Auckland, personally I wouldn't stay there again I would like to explore and try other hotels. Maybe pay the extra price for more of a luxury hotel. Traveled as a couple.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HIgummie
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Valued guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.