“Wouldn't recommend”
Review of VR Auckland City

VR Auckland City
Ranked #36 of 67 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have spent the last 14 days travelling around nz and this is by far the worst place we've stayed. It's in a seedy location, it's next door to social services and a homeless shelter. The hotel itself is drab and run down. Our room was drab. Breakfast was a joke, who eats cake for breakfast. The washing machine took 3 hours and my washing was wet in the dryer setting. The was no forks so we had to ask for some. The spoons were dirty, one had caked on food on it. We didn't even have a kettle, what kind of kitchen is that. Bed hard and uncomfortable and a fan or something was on all night somewhere above us in the roof so bad sleep.

Would never stay here again, go down to the vr on queen street. It's cheaper, new, has a good breakfast and is nice.

Room Tip: Goto the vr on queen st.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
VRGroup, Front Office Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Michelle C
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch.There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address. However, I am glad to hear you had a great stay in our sister property.

There are newer reviews for VR Auckland City

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I liked this hotel. Only stayed 2 nights, had a bottle of red waiting in our room on arrival and some snacks for breaky delivered the nights before. I think the value for money was pretty good for the room size and location. Staff service was really good too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cootea
VRGroup, Front Office Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest
We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. Great staff, Great price, Great location. Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I went here last June. Spent 3 nights in a 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment is complete with almost everything even laundry and good view of the city. The room is cleaned everyday and breakfast sent to room. Internet was ok. Parking must be pre booked so as to avoid disappointment due to limited space. Service is good too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Adli S

Dear Adli S,
It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Really nice hotel to stay in. Nice and warm welcome. Friendly staffs, especially the night duty guys. Quick and good response. Simple and elegant breakfast. Enjoyed the business class stay. Hassle free environment. Easy access to city center. On the whole it's a nice place to stay in. Would surely recommend and also come again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Suresh K

Dear Suresh K
Thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel. Thank you especially for your kind comments on our staff, breakfast and location. I have passed your kind comments on to the team regarding their service so thank you for sharing this with us.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The location is close to Sky Tower and shopping area - Queens Street. Great staffs working in the hotel who are willing to help with any information you need. Lovely rooms, free wifi and breakfast. Would come back again and tell my friends to stay at this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
VRGroup, Front Office Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Valued guest
Thank you for your review of our property and your positive comments on our helpful staff and central location. It is wonderful to know that you would recommend this hotel. Thank you and please stay in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter so we can provide you with our best rates for your return!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our 2 bedroom room was very small but had all the facilities were were after. A small kitchenette was very basic but we didn't need to use it anyway. There was not enough couch space for the 4 of us.

I had requested 2 single beds in the second bedroom which I was very pleased to get but there wasn't quite enough room to walk either side of the beds.

The breakfast provided was not our favourite but it was a start to the day. It consisted of a piece of cake, yogurt tub, a banana and a muesli bar.

Be prepared for an uphill walk from downtown.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank megsmel1

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your feedback. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I spent four days here. The location is great for downtown Auckland. The rates and cleanliness are ok. But the internet is dreadful. You are given a limited use username and password that you must constantly re-enter (it prevents saving). The speeds only support text email and simple browsing. The internet in the entire hotel failed not less than THREE times during my four day stay and was out for several hours. To top it off, there is a fiber optic internet connection running right under this building. Why they decided instead to contract out to some awful vendor I'll never know. I was unable to keep in touch with my overseas offices from this hotel and therefore cannot recommend it to any business travelers. Consider yourself warned.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Valued guest
Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you suffered as a result of the issues you experienced with our internet service. I understand how frustrating this would have been for you. We have recently updated all of our hardware, having the latest technology installed throughout the building. Technology is an area of our service that we continually focus on enhancing therefore we take your feedback very seriously. I am following up with our team to ensure that we are providing our guests with immediate support should technological issues arise. I am very sorry that your stay was marred in this way and I can assure you that the service issues you experienced will be investigated. Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback and I do hope we are able to welcome you back in the future.