“Very Poor Service”

Ranked #33 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Very Poor Service”
Reviewed 20 February 2011

A group of four booked for a pre-wedding hen/stag do, we reqested a slightly earlier check-in of 11.45-12 noon, flatly refused, told by a very surly receptionist we could not get in until the advised time. In fact, according to her, not one room was available??? all dirty at this time of day considering the cleaners are on duty early. On arrival, the hotel computer was not even working, we were told we could have a car park but we need to pay $20 now. We requested two door access cards as male/female guests going to different events and returning at different times, there was no way she was giving us two cards. Another group of four attending same event, were also trying to book in, told come back later at night, when this group did get back to the hotel at 8pm, having booked and paid through Wotif, there was no room available for them, the hotel had overlooked their booking. Their credit card had the money taken from it. Couldn't of cared at all, the four young girls were devastated, the hotel had booked at another hotel, and hotel staff rushed their continental breakfast around to the other hotel (so they knew very well they hadn't made the booking), we demanded they pay the the taxi for these young girls to get to the other hotel.

At 9.10am the next morning, there was a knock on the door, staff asking when we were leaving?? we saw the cleaners were waiting down the hallway.

The female receptionist was the rudest and most unobliging hotel staff member, the night time male staff members were just about as bad. Perhaps you are all trained to be that way.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RobynB09
ManagerACO, General Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, 20 February 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Auckland City Oaks, we always appreciate constructive feedback.

Please be aware of the following:

1) At Auckland City Oaks we are always happy to give guests early check in-s where possible, our staff are always the first ones to help.

2) We had a computer glitch on the day of your arrival which caused some problems during your check in. We have taken the steps needed to have this rectified. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I appreciate your comments about our staff, we regularly conduct staff training sessions and the issues identified by yourself will be mentioned and acted upon.

Please contact me on sales@aucklandcityoaks.co.nz if I can be off any further assistance.

Kind Regards

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Finnish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2011

It is easy to find and get to. The facilities are top notch. Staff are wonderful and helpful. The hotel is lovely and the prices are really generous for what you get. It's within walking distance of sky tower and everything is a short drive, walk or bus trip away. Would stay there over and over again and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice comfortable hotel that isn't overly expensive. Look forward to staying withyou guys next time.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerACO, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, 17 February 2011
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear about your great stay with us.

I am grateful that the effort put in by both staff and management is paying off with great comments / stays like yours that are posted on Trip Advisor.

We literally have 1000's of positive feedback forms from guests who say there is no better place in Auckland that is better value for money, we totally agree.

We look forward to seeing you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Booked online as it got decent reviews and was cheap enough to be in our price range. Asked for a higher floor, which we got. Checked in (which was painless) and headed to our 1-bedroom apt. on the 7th floor. The room was really clean and organized well. Even better was the balcony, which was a bit of an unexpected surprise. The views over the city were very nice and the room was quiet even with the busy Hobson St. below (possibly because of the high floor). Really nice breakfast provided every morning, with toast and jam, cereal, milk, and a large bottle of tasty juice. Didn't buy breakfast once in Auckland! Location was great; walking distance to Queen St. shopping, the waterfront/ferries, Albert Park, SkyCity tower/casino, and a airport shuttle stop. Hotel was kind enough to let us store our bags for the day after we checked out since our flight wasn't until 7pm. Got a rental car one night, parking was a bit expensive and is very limited, but if you get in early, it's fine. We got the car in by about 5pm and had no problems. Honestly, our only real issue was the complete lack of real grocery stores nearby (we never did find one), which, unfortunately, made the kitchenette a bit useless. Otherwise, highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
ManagerACO, General Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, 14 February 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for the fantastic review of Auckland City Oaks in Auckland.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that both the hotel being value for money and great housekeeping contributed to your memorable experience.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back so that we can provide you with the exceptional service that we are renowned for.

Please do let me know if I can be any assistance.

Kind regards

Adelaide
Reviewed 13 February 2011

The room was very nice but the bathroom was not clean-wad of hair in the toilet. Worst of all, someone came in to my room while I was asleep-had an early morning flight. They withdrew and apologised quickly!
Most unnerving for a single traveller!
The phone didnt work so had to use my mobile to ring Reception to complain who said that it wasnt possible!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Dear Madam

Thank you for your comments with regards to your recent stay at Auckland City Oaks in Auckland.

I am indeed disappointed that we offered you a less than satisfactory stay at our property.

We take security very seriously and have very strict controls in our buidling to ensure guest safety. These include: 24 hour onsite reception, security cameras and swipe card access only.

As discussed with you via email, I am more than happy to provide you a complimentary night stay when you are next in Auckland to provide you the guest experience that you expected on your last visit, we are very proud of our property and would like you to experience what many other guests have done so previously.

Again, thank you for your feedback, it is always a great way to progress forward as a property.

Yours sincerely

Manager

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Chicago
Reviewed 12 February 2011

We stayed at the City Oaks in a 2 bedroom (an upgrade) for 2 nights in mid-November. The room was fine, the beds were comfortable and it had a small kitchen. Washing machine was difficult and frustrating to use. Friendly check-in and good service - when we couldn't get the safe open, the person at the front desk came up within 5 minutes. Room appeared to be clean, though the cushions on the sofa looked rather old and dirty. Location was okay, close to the Sky Tower, Queen St and about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the harbor. Immediate area is quiet, but if you want to cook, there are no decent supermarkets close by. Good price gets its excellent 'value' rating.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Auckland City Oaks in Auckland.

We appreciate your feedback that the sofa looked 'tired', currently we are in the midst of doing major upgrades to the furniture package throughout the building to ensure that we live up to the 4.5 star rating that we have been awarded by Qualmark.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back so that we can provide you with a new and refurbished room upon your next visit.

Kind regards

Sydney
Reviewed 9 February 2011

The rooms were clean enough and large enough. The location is not too far from the centre of Auckland, but next to Auckland city mission. No supermarkets near by. Biggest problem I had was when they charged me for additional parking after waking me up at midnight to move my car, which I did and then lied to me by telling me that someone else missed out on the parking spot. I actually saw him waiting in the car park for me. On the day I was leaving I had to ask them twice to move a car that was blocking me.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review on your recent stay with us at Auckland City Oaks in Auckland.

Naturally, I am very disappointed to learn that your stay did not meet your expectations and you were let down by certain aspects on this occasion.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed our rooms and what they have to offer.

I am disspointed that a staff mix up caused you a disspointing stay. It has been brought to their attention and they have been reminded of how important good communication and organisation is in our service line.

Although, you express some discontent, I truly hope to welcome you back to Auckland City Oaks. Should your travels bring you to Auckland, kindly contact me on sales@aucklandcityoaks.co.nz so that I can make all the necessary arrangements for you and provide you the level of service you expected on your first visit.

With kind regards

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Hotel only had one bathroom in two bedroom suites, also there was no pool/ but location was very good to explore Auckland

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jerome m
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience of Auckland City Oaks with other Trip Advisor members.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay thoroughly.

The team and I look forward to your return in the not so distant future.

With kind regards