“Very pokey bathroom”

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Ranked #29 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 17 November 2011

This hotel is very well located so convenient for business and leisure patrons. However, the bathroom is one of the smallest I have ever encountered and difficult to dry oneself unless you have the sliding door open and are half inside the bathroom and half in the kitchen.
The bed is one of the most comfortable I have slept on. Reception staff need better training.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 November 2011

From The Q. to the center of town is only about 100 meters.
The rooms are big enough. Good bed. Small but efficient bathroom with shower. Also a little kitchen. Staff is friendly and helpful. There is a bar and restaurant facility.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2011

This hotel is in a good location but it is a steep walk down to the town. The rooms are very nice with a kitchen and washing machine and all the basics you need. Down stairs there is a small gym and a jacuzzi which is brilliant. You can open up two of the sides around the jacuzzi and just relax in peace and quiet. The breakfast is a help yourself option or if you pay and order something your portions are huge.

One thing i have to complain about is the staff knowledge. We had booked to go on a dolphin trip and we asked a guy on reception where we had to go and he told us once at the waterfront to turn right and keep walking down the road till we got to the marina. He even printed a google map for us and drew a line where we had to go. When we got to that point on the map we realized we were at the ferry dock not the marina. What the guy actually meant was turn left.... We walked completly the wrong way and why he gave us a map highlighting the wrong place to go we dont know. We were just going to jump in a cab but he insisted we could walk there in 10 mins.

Anyway we arrived just in time but we were late by the time we asked loads of local people where we needed to go. If we hadnt have run for 10minutes back along the waterfront in the opposite direction we would have missed our trip and would not have got a refund.

The other negative thing about this hotel is that our room was not ready when we arrived so we were put in a lower down room so did not get a very good view but we are not the type of people that care about views so much. We do mind when we are tired and jet lagged and want to check into our room that we were told would be ready when we arrived.

Room Tip: the higher the better
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I travelled to NZ, Auckland for a holiday and it was my final desstation before heading back to Europe. The Quadrant Hotel was a perfect place to rest and also perfect centrally located for exploring the centre. I enjoyed every minute of my stay here.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Messi09
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Booked our room through Hotels.com on the strength of reviews posted but was disappointed to find that the room did not live up to expectations. I was aware that the hotel was not 5-star, but from our experience, it would have difficulty meeting a 3-star rating. Pluses were location (close to Queens Street but not too close) and free WiFi (only one device at a time per login ID, you need to request a second ID if like me, you have a laptop and iPad and want to use them at the same time). As for the minuses, I was disappointed with the service overall and the condition of the room. Although I specified 3 persons in my party, we arrived to find that the sofabed was not set up. I had to call reception for the additional bedding and linens and set up the bed myself. We stayed 3 days and I don't think the room was ever cleaned during that time, even after I had hung the sign to ask for the room to be cleaned. I had to call housekeeping to request for refills of the complimentary beverages. Our trash that was left outside the room was not cleared until the staff came with our beverage refills. Other reviews had already mentioned the tight space; but we were in a 1-bedroom suite and did not find this to be a big problem, except maybe for the bathroom, which also lacked basic conveniences such as hooks for hanging stuff. Maintenance was not up to scratch as evidenced by our shower door which had come off its rails (see photo). The lighting in the entire suite was also inadequate, particularly in the kitchen where the lighting was so dim as to be practically useless. Our final grouse had to do with the washer-dryer. Our unit was fitted with an Indesit machine which was totally unintuitive to use - the shortest cycle was 40 mins and there appeared to be no way to do a drying cycle without going through a wash cycle!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We stayed in one of their 2 bedroom apartments. Apartment was well presented, clean, modern and ideal for a couple of nights stay. A bit small if you were staying for a prolonged period. Couple of small gripes though. No frying pan or egg slice so clearly they didn't want you to cook up breakfast. Nothing to clean pots other than a half size sponge cloth. Also only 1 small round soap in the bathroom with no body wash. Other than that, a short walk to the Vector Arena and a comfortable bed after the concert meant a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Don't expect to sit on a balcony. There isn't room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2011

As most other guests have mentioned this hotel is good value for money, the free wifi was a big plus for me. Great central location close to major shopping strip, but be warned it's a very hilly area... not so great for lugging your heavy shopping home uphill.

My room was compact, & comfortable, but felt the balcony was really not worth having as only one person would fit out there at a time and it overlooked a noisy loading bay from a neighboring hotel, who often had midnight deliveries :-(

Key Cards to the elevators and rooms were also very problematic for me on at least 4 occasions, which was rather frustrating when traveling alone, (having to take the elevator back and forth twice whilest lugging luggage before being able to access my room). However staff were reasonably pleasant and helpful, yet one particular female reception staff's accent was VERY difficult to understand (& english is my first language).

Housekeeping wasn't so fantastic. I stayed for 5 days and asked for my room to be made up on the 2nd day. I came back to a made bed, and a fresh bath mat but no fresh towels, one was even left in the living area (not where I had left it). Dishes that I had put in the dishwasher were all still in there dirty except for a saucepan which was washed. The water jug and ice tray were empty and I discovered mould in the water jug as I went to fill it up, and also in the door seal of the washing machine as I went to do my own laundry.

Cooking in the kitchenette was a bit of a pain, only saucepans no frying pan, egg flip or even a wooden spoon. the tiny serrated knife provided was hardly large enough to cut up vegetables etc, I'd suggest the addition of a few extra kitchen utensils.

Rooms were very hot and stuffy in the afternoons, no air conditioning & even the pedestal fan was covered in thick visible dust, and I also seemed to be lacking an alarm clock.Small things I know, but easily attended to, especially when the rest of the hotels appearance is so clean and crisp, this really lets it down.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo