“Lovely, quiet hotel with awesome views”

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Ranked #27 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Lovely, quiet hotel with awesome views”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

When I arrived at the hotel, I was given a studio suite rather than a one bedroom apartment which I had paid for. When I pointed that out, I was moved immediately to the 17th floor with an awesome view. I found the staff to be friendly, and the ambiance of the hotel to be particularly nice. One comment - beware of the washer/dryer. I did one load on a gentle cycle while I was there. It took almost 2 hours, and the dryer destroyed a cardigan and permanently shrunk a pair of jeans.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank KentM_321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Really enjoyed out stay here over 6 nights. The room was spacious, the fully equipped kitchen was a real bonus for a hotel suite. The bathroom, although small, was fine. The price of the studio was superb!! I will come back any time I am in Auckland again! Overall, very impressed. There is a gym and a sauna on the ground floor. This is a lovely bonus. The restaurant has a dinner special on every night, for $15, which includes a drink. Also there is valet car service, which is very convenient, and the price is outstanding, $20 for the whole day, where you can get the car back as many times as you need, so its very convenient. Overall I was very impressed. The views are lovely too and each room has a balcony. The air conditioning is strong and very quiet. The only negatives I have is that the bed was very very very uncomfortable. The mattress is very soft and warn, so its actually sagging when you are lying on it, which means you wake up with a very sore back. Also in the kitchen, there were not enough sets of things, so there would be one knife and two forks, one wine glass etc. So if these things were looked into, I would give this hotel 5 out of 5. Fantastic stay and so close to the city you are on Queen street in 5 minutes walk.

Room Tip: Best view would have to be facing the waterfront, do ask for that if you can.
2 Thank BlondeBunny
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Cons:
The apartment was small and the bathroom was ridiculously small. There were marks on the walls, the shower had grime in it and our room was next to the lifts which were very noisy. The toilet randomly made running sounds throughout the night. The water temp in the shower kept changing from hot to cold.

Pros:
Good breakfast, Check-in and out was very quick.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a room away from the lifts
2 Thank Anna O
UdaiSarin, General Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Hi Anna,

Thank you for your review about the property. I am disappointed to hear that the stay was not up to your expectations.

I have addressed your concerns with both housekeeping and maintenance so the issues you felt can be mitigated in the future.

I am glad the breakfast selection was up to your liking and the check in and check out function was efficient.

Please contact me on udai@vrgroup.co.nz to see if we can bring you back to the property in the near future.

Take care

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2012

The positives were - free wifi, sky in the room (no sky movies though) and it was clean.
The negatives were - probably the worst reception I've ever known at a hotel. It always takes several phone calls before they answer. The toilet stunk of sewage and the toilet seat was broke. The shower wouldn't stay at the same temperature so I spent more time jumping out to avoid being scolded than I spent in. There is supposed to be a washing machine in the room but we didn't have one so we had to hand ours in for reception to do. It took 18 hours and we got them back shrunk, wet and stained. No apology only excuses. The toaster shorted the electricity every time we plugged it in, phoned reception, said they'd be right up. Four hours later - nothing! The kitchen appliances/utensils were sparse. No air-conditioning so it was always roasting in the room. Room service didn't turn up till 5.30pm. Waiting 10 mins for the lifts. Nzd 1.50 charge for making free calls in the room... I could go on! Don't stay here!

3 Thank Hanssprungfeld
Dear Hans,

Thank you for your review about The Quadrant Hotel Auckland. I appreciate you taking the time to write something.

I have taken up your concerns with the relevant departments. I consider your comments the best way to promote greater training and awareness in the hotel.

Please contact me on udai@vrgroup.co.nz so we can discuss this further and see if we can bring you back to the property.

On the positive I am glad you enjoyed the free WIFI and the cleanliness of the room.

Safe Travels

Udai Sarin

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We booked as a group of 4 adults to stay in a "2 bedroom suite". WARNING....THIS IS NOT A 2 BEDROOM SUITE!!!
There was a bedroom with a double bed, however the so called 2nd bedroom was actually a bed placed in the lounge. There were sliding partition doors to close off the bed and make in into a cupboard come "bedroom". In theory this sounds ok however when closed, we then discovered the sliding doors were made of 100% transparent glass and didnt have any curtains! There was ZERO privacy to be had in this so called 2nd bedroom and we had to use the bathroom to get dressed/undressed.
When closed, the pointless glass sliding doors then made it impossible to get to the bathroom without climbing over the sofa.
When I called reception to enquire about the situation, I was told that all of the 2 bedroom suites are like this. When I requested that they at least put up some curtains on the rail along the sliding doors, I was told this wasnt possible and they had no alternative rooms to move us to.
I was extremely dissapointed with this hotel as we would NOT have booked if the room had been truthly advertised. It is appaulling that they advertise and CHARGE for a 2 bedroom suite...I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank sian1986
Dear Sian,

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed to hear about your stay. I have a feeling you were placed in the wrong room...our 2 bedroom suites are 60+ SQM and they do not have glass sliding doors in them.

Please contact me on udai@vrgroup.co.nz - we can discuss this further and hopefully come to some sort of resolution on a potential future stay with us.

I am sorry about your experience and hope we can attract you back to The Quadrant Hotel Auckland.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 December 2011

This was my second stay at this hotel and I continue to be impressed. The first time I went with a friend and the second time was as a couple. However, whoever I travel with, if I go to Auckland for a short break, I would always choose this hotel. The staff are professional and helpful. Check-in and check-out were dealt with very efficiently. However, I did ask one staff member about the link bus, and she gave me a pamphlet for the expensive tourist hop-on-hop-off bus, which was not what I wanted at all.

When we arrived, it was hot and stuffy in our room, so we called reception for a fan. We were told there should have been one in the room, but they would bring one to us. The fan we received looked like it had been pulled out of the rubbish dump downstairs! It was covered in dark grease (as if it had come from the kitchens), the four bottoms of the stand were all twisted and the fan head remained tilted down - the entire thing, apart from the actual fan mechanism appeared to be broken. It did the job though, so we kept it. We also assumed that it was the only one they could find!

The room itself was great - bed was comfy, room was clean, the kitchenette was equipped enough for us to have breakfast in the room each morning. There was a balcony; it was overlooking the service bay... not great, but then we were there to get out and enjoy the city, so that didn't bother us too much. It was noisy, as cities are, but when the sliding door was closed, any outside noise was effectively blocked out. The only thing we didn't like about the room was the shower. The water kept going hot and cold.... very frustrating!

The hotel is in a good location, just a 5 min walk down to Queen's Street. After a long day I can't say I looked forward to the walk uphill, but it wasn't too bad. From the hotel (turn left once outside) you can also walk to Auckland Museum (about 25 mins) through the domain and then walk back via Parnell. It is also close to the newly opened Auckland Gallery, which was amazing. There really is no need to eat at the hotel since there are so many excellent restaurants in the CBD, but one evening when it was raining, we did eat in the restaurant and it was very pleasant. The prices are quite reasonable.

The thing I like best about this hotel is that it is a good hotel with a convenient location. It is easy to get to (we took the Airbus from the airport $26 return. The Airbus is impressive. The driver talks you through where the bus is going and also helps you to get off at the right stop. The service runs every 10 mins during the day and every 20 mins in the evenings. It stops at various places along Queen's Street. From there it is a short walk up the hill to get to The Quadrant.) The hotel is reasonably priced and we got an even better deal when we booked online - we got 4 nights in a well-equipped room with a queen bed for $84 each night, which was awesome, considering that the backpackers down the way was charging $65 for a double room.

The thing I like least about the hotel is probably the hill! BUT it means that after a huff and a puff back up there, I feel less guilty about eating so much at all the wonderful restaurants that Auckland has to offer!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2011

It was actually a great stay! Surprisingly good breakfast food and good value for money (ordered in) and good front desk help. If you have a car it isn't cheap to park there, but it is considering the location (middle of city), and just be sure to call the desk 15 minutes before leaving so they can get your car ready (valet). The lifts were abit of an issue, sometimes took 10 minutes to wait for it to get to your floor (they had power outage for 2 out of 3 lifts) and this caused major issues.
Otherwise clean, modern and great for families! They have a nice kitchen but no pan or pots so we ended up using the grill and microwave alot.

Wifi was good even though in the first few days cutting out alot and banning accounts. Have to call the desk if your wifi is not working and they reset it (we thought it was our laptop at first and considered buying new gear!)
Small for a 2bdrm but huge if you consider hotel rooms!

Room Tip: we were on the 20th floor with great views of the water.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family