“Fantastic value, brilliantly located”

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I booked two nights at the Quadrant on hotels.com on the basis of plenty of good reviews. I was not in the least disappointed -- in fact, it superseded my expectations.

Our room was very good value ($NZ115 a night), was modern, stylish and even had a view out to Auckland harbour. It´s located just a few minutes from Queen Street, so is very central -- a short stroll to the shops and waterfront. The little kitchenette in the room had everything we needed, including a washing machine and dish drawer (nice!)

The staff on reception were very friendly and helpful. I´d definitely stay there again.

2  Thank BaselLisa

Reviewed 4 January 2012

I stayed at the Quadrant near Christmas time. It was perfectly comfortable and located in a quiet part of the city. Staff were very friendly and helpful. One drawback - it's situated on a really steep hill. If you're catching the bus into town, drag your cases up Bowen Avenue, rather than Kitchener Street. The latter nearly killed me.

1  Thank R M
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This hotel is well located wrt restaurants and within a short walk to the foot passenger ferries that serve the harbour area. It is also close to the University, Albert Park and to Queen Street, the main shopping area. Rooms are reasonable and quiet. There are several nearby cafes if you choose not to eat in the hotel. It's on a high point in the city so it has the added benefit of giving you some exercise when you walk back up to the area, but not so much that it's a killer. Our room had some kitchen facilities.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank doreenandneil
Reviewed 1 January 2012

When I arrived at the hotel, I was given a studio suite rather than a one bedroom apartment which I had paid for. When I pointed that out, I was moved immediately to the 17th floor with an awesome view. I found the staff to be friendly, and the ambiance of the hotel to be particularly nice. One comment - beware of the washer/dryer. I did one load on a gentle cycle while I was there. It took almost 2 hours, and the dryer destroyed a cardigan and permanently shrunk a pair of jeans.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank KentM_321
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Really enjoyed out stay here over 6 nights. The room was spacious, the fully equipped kitchen was a real bonus for a hotel suite. The bathroom, although small, was fine. The price of the studio was superb!! I will come back any time I am in Auckland again! Overall, very impressed. There is a gym and a sauna on the ground floor. This is a lovely bonus. The restaurant has a dinner special on every night, for $15, which includes a drink. Also there is valet car service, which is very convenient, and the price is outstanding, $20 for the whole day, where you can get the car back as many times as you need, so its very convenient. Overall I was very impressed. The views are lovely too and each room has a balcony. The air conditioning is strong and very quiet. The only negatives I have is that the bed was very very very uncomfortable. The mattress is very soft and warn, so its actually sagging when you are lying on it, which means you wake up with a very sore back. Also in the kitchen, there were not enough sets of things, so there would be one knife and two forks, one wine glass etc. So if these things were looked into, I would give this hotel 5 out of 5. Fantastic stay and so close to the city you are on Queen street in 5 minutes walk.

Room Tip: Best view would have to be facing the waterfront, do ask for that if you can.
2  Thank BlondeBunny
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Cons:
The apartment was small and the bathroom was ridiculously small. There were marks on the walls, the shower had grime in it and our room was next to the lifts which were very noisy. The toilet randomly made running sounds throughout the night. The water temp in the shower kept changing from hot to cold.

Pros:
Good breakfast, Check-in and out was very quick.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a room away from the lifts
2  Thank Anna O
UdaiSarin, General Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Hi Anna,

Thank you for your review about the property. I am disappointed to hear that the stay was not up to your expectations.

I have addressed your concerns with both housekeeping and maintenance so the issues you felt can be mitigated in the future.

I am glad the breakfast selection was up to your liking and the check in and check out function was efficient.

Please contact me on udai@vrgroup.co.nz to see if we can bring you back to the property in the near future.

Take care

Udai Sarin

Reviewed 1 January 2012

The positives were - free wifi, sky in the room (no sky movies though) and it was clean.
The negatives were - probably the worst reception I've ever known at a hotel. It always takes several phone calls before they answer. The toilet stunk of sewage and the toilet seat was broke. The shower wouldn't stay at the same temperature so I spent more time jumping out to avoid being scolded than I spent in. There is supposed to be a washing machine in the room but we didn't have one so we had to hand ours in for reception to do. It took 18 hours and we got them back shrunk, wet and stained. No apology only excuses. The toaster shorted the electricity every time we plugged it in, phoned reception, said they'd be right up. Four hours later - nothing! The kitchen appliances/utensils were sparse. No air-conditioning so it was always roasting in the room. Room service didn't turn up till 5.30pm. Waiting 10 mins for the lifts. Nzd 1.50 charge for making free calls in the room... I could go on! Don't stay here!

3  Thank Hanssprungfeld

Dear Hans,

Thank you for your review about The Quadrant Hotel Auckland. I appreciate you taking the time to write something.

I have taken up your concerns with the relevant departments. I consider your comments the best way to promote greater training and awareness in the hotel.

Please contact me on udai@vrgroup.co.nz so we can discuss this further and see if we can bring you back to the property.

On the positive I am glad you enjoyed the free WIFI and the cleanliness of the room.

Safe Travels