“Good no-frills accommodation”

Ranked #26 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
“Good no-frills accommodation”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I stayed at the Quadrant while attending a conference in the adjacent Pullman Hotel. I chose the Quadrant as a lower priced alternative to the Pullman. I found the accommodation perfectly adequate for my stay. I did have to phone to ask for a kettle when I found that there was not one in my room, but a kettle was brought to me within a few minutes. The carparking arrangements were fine - I arrived at 8:20 am and pulled up in front of the hotel. The car was parked for me and I was able to leave it in the carpark until %;)) pm the following day even though I was only staying one night. I was charged 1.5 times the overnight rate which I felt was quite fair. The standard of accommodation in the room was perfectly satisfactory.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Hi Mandy,

Thank you for your review about your stay at The Quadrant Hotel Auckland.

I am glad you enjoyed the accommodation and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Udai Sarin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Hotel ruined my cloths what they did complimentary laundry, cause i didn't had washing machine at my room. I asked that i could change the room but receptionist was like we can really do it for you. Well, cloths returned semi wet, all pushed in one bag wrinkled, all the colors had been washed without separating them making white cloths look like hippie shirts, all other colors stained really badly, 2 shrinked really a lot that can't wear them any more. Usually professional staff know how to handle other peoples belongings, but not here!! Hotel didn't pay for me from those ruined cloths except only amount of ONE shirt! And even the worst thing was how they handled this in reception, embarrassing me in front of other customers, 3 staff members going true my cloths and saying that "these aren't even real brand marks, you can get these from any where by 40dollars", Tell me where you get brands like Galliano and Calvin Klein by that amount?? They were real, now in condition to trash bin, thanks to this unprofessional hotel stuff. I wouldn't recommend this hotel with rude and unprofessional staff even to even to my worst enemys!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank MMJL1979
UdaiSarin, General Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear MMJL1979

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Both good and bad reviews are appreciated so we know how we are doing as a property.

I am disappointed to learn about the experience that you encountered during your stay. It would be good to be able to get in touch with you to learn a little bit more about the situation so that I may resolve the issues to your satisfaction and conduct staff training to ensure instances such as this do not happen again.

Please feel free to email me at udai@vrgroup.co.nz.

We strive to offer the best service possible for our guests and with further training; we will continue to move toward that goal.

Thank you for your time and I wish you safe travels back to San Fran.

Udai Sarin

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed in the Quadrant in late April at the end of a great 3 week tour of New Zealand. Having read of some problems experienced by other Trip Advisor contributors, we initially parked in the public indoor car park close by (Wilson's). However once we spoke to the receptionist in the Quadrant, we decided to avail of their valet service, though a little more expensive, as it allows multiple entry / exit.
As it happens we did not use our car in Auckland (plenty to do and relatively easy to get around by public transport). When we came to depart, we asked for our car to be brought up from valet parking. We got a shock when it arrived with multiple scratches, including at least one quite large (4"-6"). The car was also covered in what looked like tree / bushes scraps.
We raised this with hotel management who claimed that the car was returned in the state it was handed in (definitely not the case) and also disputed our phographic evidence on the grounds that the 'before' photos were taken indoors! I am very unhappy with both the way they handled the car and their subsequent handling of the issue. It reminds me of the Trip Advisor customer who had a bad experience with the handling of his laptop. as a result of the time taken to photograph the scratches, compose and send the e-mail, we lost the whole of our last morning in Auckland - not what we'd envisaged.

The apartment itself was fine, I would say don't trust this hotel with keeping anything valuable (cars, laptops etc).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank GCrispie
UdaiSarin, General Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear GCrispie

Thank you for your review, both good and bad I appreciate all reviews.

Just like the review below, it is unfortunate that such damage happend to your car and I hope it did not cause to much of a financial loss.

We have been in constant communication with you over the past month in regards to this matter. The photographs, surveillance cameras and evidence point to the damage occurring elsewhere - further we have no trees or bushes any where near the Quadrant Hotel car park being a central city hotel. None the less, I am apologetic for the damage occurring regardless of location.

I am glad you enjoyed the room and wish you safe travels back home.

Take Care

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I was booked to spend a night at the Quadrant Hotel in Auckland. I was hospitalized the day before I was to fly to Auckland so missed my flight. Whilst I was in hospital my sister called to cancel the reservation. Although she contacted them more than 24 hours before my arrival time, the hotel claimed it was not more than 24 hours since they consider 3pm their check-in time. I later supplied the hotel with documentation showing I was in hospital for a week and that was why I missed my stay, but I was told that "was outside of their cancellation policy". I think that speaks volumes to how they treat their guests. Don't expect customer service from this mob, they probably couldn't spell it!!

Trevor, Canada

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Trevor O
Dear TrevorO,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, good and bad I appreciate you placing a feedback.

Firstly and most importantly, I hope you are feeling better and the hospitalisation has not caused you too much discomfort - The Quadrant Hotel Auckland sends its best wishes.

We have been in correspondence with you over the past week or so and have re-iterated the fact that the booking was made through a travel agent. Further, it was made under a 'non-refundable' category. We have offered to move the stay credit to another date of your choice, this offer still stands. Further, we have even offered you a complimentary upgrade upon your next stay with us for the inconvenience caused, this offer still stands - I believe our staff have communicated this to you previously and I have also sent you an email in this regards.

Our offer is still valid and I hope to see a healthy Trevor at The Quadrant Hotel Auckland.

Kind Regards

Anaheim, California
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We had an amazingly wonderful time in Auckland, and The Quadrant was a great place to stay! I've been accepted into a PhD program in Anthropology at the University of Auckland, and The Quadrant was recommended to me by one of the faculty members. Not only was it a great place to stay, but the staff were all so helpful and friendly - especially Chantelle and Dmitri! I only had to walk across the street to enter campus property, so it was very convenient as well. You can walk to many great restaurants and things to do, as it is in a great location! I highly recommend The Quadrant!!! Kia Ora!!! :)

Room Tip: My husband and I stayed in a studio apartment and we were very comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Great location and very reasonable. Rooms were clean and well appointed with all facilities we needed including dishwasher. Balcony with view, doors that open and let in fresh air!
Extra helpful staff- prompt, friendly service. Had our son to stay on large comfortable sofa bed in apartment - and not too crowded.
Midday check out at no extra cost.
Great stay- will definitiely return!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jennifer B
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I recently had four nights in the Quadrant while I attended the Auckland Writers and Readers Festival: it was my third visit and I have no reason not to return. Check in and check out were easy to accomplish.

I had a studio apartment and was surprised at the level of fit-out: even a dish drawer to wash dishes (although by the time I got home each night, some magic pixie had done my dishes anyway) and really, there was plenty of room and a nice big TV. Free internet was a nice bonus and never let me down.

The room was clean, the bed was comfy and I had a great view out over the port. The bathroom was a bit on the compact side and the table could have been a bit more solid, but they're minor negatives. Best of all was the price - under $80 a night. Another impressive feature: I had a rather rowdy companion one night in the bar - when he went outside for a smoke, the staff was quick but polite in ensuring he didn't disturb other guests. It was nice that they had some craft beer (Tuatara) in the bar rather than just the standard generic beers.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo