“great food, great time cant fault it”

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Ranked #30 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We stayed at The Quadrent 2 nights in all so just a taster. but to sum up our experience we would totally recommend ...The reception staff were attentive polite and helpful... our room (not the biggest) but we are not planning to party here.. was very clean has everything we could need with coffee and tea, towels etc replenished as needed.. but for us the stand out performance of The Q was the exeptional meals we had .....these guys should be a whole lot busier... why would you hike into town and take the lottery of pub/resturant meals to then have to treck back when some of the nicest food out there is 2 mins from your room . The service in the resturant headed by the amazing Uday was exeptional he made us feel very special making our meals personally and to an awesomly high standard (Thanks Uday you made out weekend).. Rebecca the newest staff member coped extremely well and was very attentive considering it was her third day and there were staff shortages, and Chris (the new Tom Cruise) with his sense of humour and great cocktail skills will go far. the dining room is going through some changes as there is a lack of privacy and its not the biggest space (you have to realise that you cant have everything) but that aside we could not fault our experience. Cant wait to come back.

Room Tip: we had a room on 18th floor with a view over the harbou, air conditioning no noise and a great night...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Joy G, Front Office Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Dear simon r

Thank you so much for your praise of our staff members and of our menu. All our team actively read Trip Advisor and Guest Feedback and it is much appreciated that you have taken the time to write good things about particular members.

Feedback really is a great driver in ensuring we as a property can keep striving to the high standards we have.

We hope to see you back in the near future, thank you for your support.

Corporate Associate

Write a ReviewReviews (1,246)

Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

I booked a one bed premier apartment for $180NZ a night, for 5 nights. For this I also got discounted parking at $23NZ a day.

On arrival I was surprised to hear it was a valet only parking service, no self park. Glad I paid in advance and got the discount rate. There were no major inconveniences, and no delays if I needed my car.

Check in was painless enough, although they required the first night to be paid in advance even though they had my card details.

I was given room 1818, a spacious enough corner room at the end of the 18th floor corridor, with 2 balconies, one overlooking the harbour/dock area, and the other the Auckland museum. Pleasant enough, with aircon in the lounge area.

Housekeeping was very good during my stay, although towel quantities were a bit random. No tea towel a couple of days, 6 bath towels one day! :o)

Unfortunately, that's about it for the good stuff :o(

The bathroom was quite small, and there was a drain hole in the floor which I had to keep covered with a towel else it stank. There were only large towels, no hand towels, and there was no extractor fan, so the mirror steamed up and the bathroom got very muggy after showering.

The free wifi didn't reach my room. I could get it in the corridor, but it was very slow, to the point of useless.

There was a TV in the lounge area, but the channels were very limited, and pay movies were expensive. No TV in the bedroom.

The kitchenette was more aimed at takeaway cuisine, rather than self catering. 3 x plates, cups, cutlery, etc, 2 x saucepans, toaster, kettle, microwave, and an oven/hob. No frying pan/wok, no serving bowls for salads, no oven trays.

The grill in the oven was on or off, with no temperature control, and the grill tray had no handle, so I had to use the tea towel (on the days I was given one).

There was a small dishwasher, but the plates didn't fit in it properly. Not being a fan of dishwashers anyway I used the sink, but the sink had no draining area for dishes, so I stood them in the dishwasher! :oD

The was a combination washing machine/tumble drier in the kitchenette, but I never used it. I did wonder why, with so much balcony space, there wasn't a clothes airer to hang clothes on tho.

Finally for the room, the front door rattled every time anyone else in the corridor opened their door. Ended up having to jam it with a bit of card.

My last bit for the Quadrant is mixed. There was a gym/spa/sauna, which is something I love in a hotel.....usually. The gym here is very small with no aircon, so 2 or 3 people at once is enough, even with the outside doors open. The sauna/spa is in an adjoining room, so the heat comes through to the gym making it quite humid. The spa itself didn't look too appealing so I never used it.

WOW! That was some write up! I hope it helps someone out, and maybe gives the management a few ideas?

I might be back one day ;o)

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Shaunthediver

Dear Shaunthediver

Thank you so much for your feedback. There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.

Unfortunately the only rooms we provide with a TV in the bedroom is our deluxe queen apartments and our Penthouse, all other rooms have the TV situated in the living room.

In regards to the our WIFI we are currently investigating various options on how to upgrade our hardware, this should increase the reach of our WIFI. We have recently upgraded the software to enhance the speed of our internet.

Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed 24 January 2013

I booked 5 single rooms about10 months before arriving but none of us were on the same level and that was the beginning.the shower is extremely small I couldn't turn around in the shower without knocking over my shampoo so annoying and also everytime you open the shower door it hits the sink not only that the water keeps changing from hot to cold so if you are a big person good luck. I don't know how they got a 5 star rating the room look more like a back packers stay than a hotel the rooms we receive didn't even have air conditioning you needed to call reception to bring you a fan bloody terrible never ever been to a hotel that doesn't come with air conditioning especially a 4star hotel.we stayed at the copthorne at the start of our hotel because of flight changes they gave us the best service extremely nice and helpful we receive free parking but the quadrant charges 28 dollars a day so just a warning to anyone driving.i suggest anyone who has a standard when it come to staying at hotels avoid this one your better going to copthorne free parking, great rooms and services.the spa and sauna is very small not ment for a hotel more for home use only can fit 3 maybe 4 people at once such a let down I thought it would make up for the other let downs.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Matthewlie
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We (me, wife and baby girl) stayed at the Quadrant in a 'one bedroom' for about a week in October 2012.

The first room we received, while decorated nicely, but was looking straight into another building seemingly only a few feet away. The other catch with the first room was that it stank of smoke (it was a non smoking room, but that never seems to stop smokers, grrr).

The first couple nights the hotel was too busy to allow us to change rooms, but the third night the very friendly front desk staff arranged to have us moved. New room had a great view, no weird smells, all in all was a great room. The 'one bedroom' is just a closet door that separates it from the living area, but that was good enough for us so we could put our daughter down at 7pm when it was her bedtime (without us needing to go to bed also).

The wifi was a bit spottty, as it always seems to be at hotels, but worked for the most part.

One minor inconvenience that we didn't notice till we were there - Aukland has crazy steep hills in the middle of town, this hotel is at the top of one of those hills. Made walking down to the waterfront a real hike on the way home. Not the hotels fault, just something to be aware of.

Small restaurant served pretty good meals and staff were friendly and helpful. Prices seemed crazy high, but as we adjusted to NZ I realized high prices are endemic there.

Summary - some very nice rooms, friendly staff, modern decor, tall hill.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear RaincityMatt

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience. The Quadrant prides itself on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay even more enjoyable.

Unfortunately, as you said, we can't do anything about the hills but at least it allows our hotel to have some amazing views.

Please stay in touch with us via facebook or twitter and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future

Reviewed 23 January 2013

The view from our room was quite nice. Unfortunately this was the only saving grace during our stay. The bathroom in our two bedroom apartment smelled pungently of urine when we first walked through our door, and despite several cleanings and leaving the windows open continued to fester and lend a foul smell akin to a public restroom for our stay. The free wireless internet is also so slow and unreliable that it actually took around 25 minutes to get to tripadvisor. I would suggest just popping into to a cafe down on Queen Street for better free wifi, as the one provided at this hotel will is time intensive. The service is good. The surrounding location is lovely, but there certainly are other hotels close by. Overall, a horrible stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear appa266,

Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. This was clearly not the standard of service that we strive to offer our guests and I would like to reiterate my most sincere apologies.

We have recently upgraded our WIFI management system so this has increase speeds, and we are currently undertaking to replace the hardware to increase the signal strength within the property.

I appreciate your comments about the standard of housekeeping and these are of a major concern to me. You can see by our other reviews that we take great pride in our housekeeping standards. I have addressed your concerns with our Executive House Keeper and will follow up personally to understand what went wrong and what we can do better as a property

Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed a total of 7 nights spread over 2 visits at the beginning and end of an 11 week tour around NZ. The only minus points were:
* although only a short distance away from Queen St and the wharf areas of the city the hotel is up a steep hill
* wifi reception was so poor in one of our units that it was impossible to use the internet there on our laptop; we had to go down to the lobby.
However both units were well-equipped and clean, and generally both our stays were comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Twasthatgood

It is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our central location and explored the City. We appreciate your feedback, it will assist us in improving our services for future guests.

Please stay in touch with us via facebook or twitter and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Nice room, comfy beds, breakfast served in downstairs lounge. Coffee took quite long, almost like they were forgetting new guests had arrived. Otherwise a fine, trendy hotel, with a very warm welcome in Maori!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear R0bbie1977

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed staying at The Quadrant Hotel Auckland. We are a Premier 4 Star Hotel in Auckland with a long history of providing quality service and accommodation. Our cafe has intimate and quaint characteristics so I understand sometimes the wait for a good coffee seems too long but I can assure you it is worth the wait.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.