“Free Wifi, reasonable rates, great views, cramped but serviceable”

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I had booked this after reading some less than amazing reviews on this site and was, overall, plesantly suprised. Check in was very friendly. Housekeeping was a bit patchy, there was a box of empty beer bottles outside my door for the first two days and the room seemed much cleaner the second day - although the cleaner did leave behind their spray bottle of cleaner. The rooms are tiny - we had an executive 2 bedroom- but perfect for a short stay with two friends or family who want separate bedrooms without paying a fortune. Only one of the rooms had a cupboard to hang up clothes but they both had large beds which were comfortable. The lounge area is a little cramped but why stay in when Auckland has so many delightful places to eat out? The free wifi was really appreciated. The bathroom is super small and the doors on the shower are a bit tricky to navigate. The view from the balcony might make you forget any of these little things. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Joy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are very happy that you were pleasantly surprised on your arrival and that our upsides enhanced your stay. Thanks for appreciating the free WiFi service. It is wonderful to know that you would like to stay with us again.
Your poor experience with the housekeeping is a major concern to me. . You can see by our other reviews that we take great pride in our housekeeping standards – we invest a lot of time in training and hiring to ensure we have the most capable team. I have addressed your concerns with our Executive House Keeper and will follow up personally to ensure it is not repeated.

We take immense pleasure in being able to serve our guests every day and enjoy what we do.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

We had two nights post cruise at the Quadrant. Check in was fine and the reception area is good. Staff fine.
Rooms reasonable size, well furnished, beds comfy. We had good view of harbour. Bathroom very small, poor design. Food decent enough in cafe, ate there one night, no complaints.

HOWEVER: This hotel has many students, mainly Asian, residing there, the hotel is being used as a defacto student residential hostel. At times it was nosiy, with the shouting from rooms and balconies, near us on the 18th floor. This distracts from an otherwide decent hotel. Location ok, but long walk uphill from CBD.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the students ! We were not told it swas a Uni hostel as well! Room was...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear LesMary,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that our little touches enhanced your stay and made up for the few downsides you have mentioned. We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay better.
I sincerely am sorry for the inconvenience you had because of the noisy students around, but I would like to clarify that our hotel is not a defacto University hostel. Since our rooms are apartment style and offer extra facilities as compared to a traditional hotel room, the rooms are used by many students for long term staying.

But I will personally follow this up and ensure this is not repeated in the future.
We appreciate your feedback, it will assist us in improving our services for future guests. Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Room was absolutely tiny. Air con had a really bad smell when it was on heat setting so had to switch it off. Revolting smell of sewage coming from the bathroom which filled the entire room (lucky my partner is a plumber & knew how to help mask the smell - also didn't seem to be a fan in the bath room to try take away the smell). Bathroom was pathetically small. Nowhere to put any toiletries let alone anything else. Only one mirror in entire room, which was in the bathroom. No hand towel was provided so had to use the shower mat towel to dry my hands. Deck was tiny & door was heavy & not easy to slide. Also no ashtray provided. After staying a night at the Celestian Waldorf last night then coming to our tiny room at the Quadrant this was a major let down. The pictures made this place look great but in reality it was quite the opposite. On the upside tho staff were helpful on arrival & stored our bags for the day as we arrived before 3pm check-in time & delivered them to our room before we arrived back. I hope staff will be as helpful on checkout & sort out the smell. Won't be staying here again in future though.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank 708,655
Joy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay with The Quadrant Hotel and I greatly appreciate you taking time to share with us your feedback.

Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. This was clearly not the standard of service that we strive to offer our guests and I would like to reiterate my most sincere apologies.

I have addressed the concerned departments with your inconvenience, and we will be attendng to the issues.
I am sorry again that we did not meet your expectations throughout your stay.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Beautiful hotel, great ambience, good value for the quality. Rooms are well layed out and most with a good view of the city. The staff are very friendly, well trained and extremely accomodating. The cafe/ bar is a wee gem. I wont stay anywhere else now.

Room Tip: Tye best views are from the rooms on the left side facing the port.
Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 2Wheel_wanderer
Joy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay even more enjoyable.

Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stayed here our first night in NZ, so our Auckland visit was mostly just a rest stop. The ambience was modern with few conveniences. Our room was tiny, but the bed was comfortable. The miniscule bathroom was poorly laid-out (impossible not to bang the glass shower door, no where to put down toiletries). The on-site dining was small, lacking in atmosphere, and had limited menu offerings, but it was sufficient for exhausted travelers. The hotel location was good for arrival shopping & banking, and a variety of cheap eats. Also convenient for picking up our rental car the next morning and hopping on the motorway. The best thing about our brief stay was the helpful staff - a friendly waiter, and multiple smiling receptionists eager to help newly arrived travelers. Morning luggage storage was appreciated for a stroll in Albert Park and visit to the excellent art gallery nearby.

Room Tip: There must be some larger rooms...best to ask if you are staying more than one night.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Joy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Thank you for your review about our hotel.I am glad you had a good rest and sleep on the comfortable beds.Sorry about the inconvenience in the bathroom.
We value your comments on your experience at our onsite Restaurant, we appreciate all constructive comments, giving us a better idea on future improvements.
We are extremely disappointed that we could not match your expectations. All of your comments will be dealt with at an Executive level and relayed back to the manager and team
At the same time it is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our central location and explored the City.

I appreciate your kind and encouraging comments about our staff.
Take care and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

This was our second stay at Quadrant. Clean and well maintained hotel. Wifi is free for your stay which is rare in Auckland. We had a studio room that had a kitchenette and washer/dryer in the room. Metered parking is available outside hotel for $3 per hour from 8am to around 6 pm and then overnight is free until 8am. We paid the night before for the next morning $6 until 10am. The hotel charges $28 or Wilson parking is $14 for 12 hours. Good location very near to Auckland uni.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your encouraging review. We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. great rooms, great location and free WIFI
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

We rented a two bedroom apartment for 4 persons. Cost was about $280 which included one car park and continental breakfast for 4 persons.

I am going to sound really spoiled/difficult/uptight here but when all the little things which are annoying add up, you walk away with a bad feeling. This happened during our stay and I think it's worth pointing out why.

I think it's wrong to advertise a two bedroom apartment when one of the bedrooms is not actually a room but a cubby hole with two sliding doors within the structure of the room. Once you slide the doors for privacy, it is also very stuffy and dark as there is no window in the "internal room".

We rented a room for 4 persons and were provided with only one room key. It's a real key not a card key and so this was the excuse. But as all four persons wanted a bit of flexibility, at least two keys would have been appreciated. This was not possible. A solution was provided in that we could leave the room key behind at the reception desk (like in the old days!) but on the one occasion I did do that, I had to wait to get it back because the one person on duty was busy with another customer. Sure, it's ony a few minutes but it's still an inconvenience and not really acceptable in principle!

There is only one mirror in the whole two bedroom apartment and it's the one in the bathroom. So if someone is in the bathroom, other persons cannot groom, etc. while waiting... Also, the mirror is not full length which is something you would expect in a hotel room of this standard. It's over the bathroom sink.

Walls and paintings are chipped - this place needs a good fix up. Lounge furniture cheap and tired. Carpet ripped in several spots. Walls could also be cleaned!

AC unit in the "main" living area did not extend to separate bedroom so with door closed, this room was stuffy and hot.

Balcony door can be opened but because people next door were smoking on the balcony and appeared to be having quite a good time the balcony door was kept shut to keep out noise and smoke.

Reception area is top notch but not indicative of room quality. Elevator is down the hall from reception and quite a walk if you need to carry bags (no porters or bag-roller-things seem to be available).

Elevator also not very speedy, there is a wait and when it does arrive, it's full. More than once, we let it go as we could not fit.

Coffee was avail in the kitchenette but no plunger.

I was charged in advance of my stay even though the reservation said I would not be charged until my departure. In doing so, I was charged an extra fee for credit card transaction. I asked to have it removed as I preferred to pay cash. This was done but I do not appreciate being charged when reservation said I would not be and I do not wish to pay the credit card transaction fee without my approval.

Had always wanted to stay here but will never go back.... Like I said, too many small/little things added up and I walked away with a bad feeling...

Room Tip: This hotel is centrally located but up a very steep hill...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank HollowVictory

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you suffered as a result of the various issues you have mentioned .Any feedback we receive helps to make us better.
I am disappointed to read that you had trouble upon check in . It is very clear on our website and all other 3rd party websites that a credit card and a valid photo i.d is a requirement upon check in at our property. Further, when a credit card is not available a cash bond will be a requirement upon check in for any incidental charges that may apply during your stay with us. When a credit card is presented no cash bond is required. Please note that this is an industry standard and not property specific. There are a number of other issues you have raised in your review which I wouldl follow up personally to understand what we can do to better our property.

Guest Relations Manager.