“Absolutely wonderful... again!”

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Ranked #29 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 20 May 2008

I have stayed at The Quadrant a few times now, and it just keeps getting better each time! I just love the location - so handy to the best parts of town, and the hotel is so chic. The staff and service continues to blow me away each time... I now feel like I'm an old friend popping back for a visit! As far as value for money, this place can't be beaten.... such a good deal for what you get.
A cocktail in the bar is also a must... love the feijoa vodka ones! Being so close to Vector Arena, I now wouldn't bother fighting traffic and parking when going to a show... make a night of it and stay at the Quadrant! You'll be impressed, and keep finding excuses to go back!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 May 2008

Regularly stay here when I need to be in Auckland. Usually get the rooms at a great rate(NZ$99) through the Wotif website. The hotel is reasonably new and has a "hip" ambience.Although the rooms are on the small side they are modern with attractive decor and furnishings. The hotel is centrally located, is easy to get to by car off the Auckland motorway system, and is a relatively short stroll down to Queen Street. The staff are normally pleasant and helpful. The only negative is the hotel restaurant which is geared to meeting people's breakfast needs. There is no problem with the food as it is of good quality, but at times I have had to wait what seems to be an eternity for the food to arrive - the coffee is of a variable standard.

Overall, a well-priced, upbeat, well-appointed Auckland CBD accommodation option - one that I will continue to use.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2008

Normally when I stay somewhere new, I check TripAdvisor before going ahead with the booking. With the Quadrant I let me guard down. Although their stuff up was my gain - they double-booked me for the first two nights of the stay, so they booked me into the Westin before my arrival (the Westin is a five star hotel located on the Viaduct). I can only assume someone got they're rear end kicked for that one (although I certainly didn't hear about any booking issues when I checked in for the rest of my stay).

When I did manage to fulfil my booking at the Quadrant, it was actually in their 'second' buidling - the Crescent. To get to the Crescent, you have to actually walk through an underground car park - very bizarre. In reality, I can only assume the hotel is managing some apartments and using their foyer as a means of checking people in (there's another set of self-contained apartments in Auckland where you check in at a hotel several kilometres away and they sent you in a cab to the apartments!).

The Crescent rooms are particularly uninspiring. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they've reclaimed some of the car park and turned it into a set of apartments. They feel like they've been recently refurbished, but using the 'cheaper' approach as apposed to a quality one. There were burn holes in the kitchentop, the windows outside were filthy, the bottom bed sheet was directly on the mattress (no underlay or the like, which seems a bit strange).

Quick summary - I come to Auckland from Australia every month. I usually stay elsewhere but was tempted by the Quadrant's web pages (like a lot of other people it would seem). My mistake. It's okay, but it's certainly not on my 'do again' list...

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank KT08
Reviewed 25 April 2008

I was in Auckland for 1 night on business and the company I work for booked me into this place.

It is a funky little motel in Auckland, geared towards young people. It has smooth music playing in the loby, music videos playing on LCD's in the lifts and a cool indoor/outdoor bar.

The room I stayed in was a self contained unit, it was quite roomy with a queen size bed, balcony, full kitchen and what could be close to the worlds smallest bathroom.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Service was always fast and with a smile.

I'd recommend this place to anyone on a short trip to Auckland, it is located within walking distance of the central strip of the city and close to pubs and clubs.

1  Thank iac0n
Reviewed 21 April 2008

Do not stay at this hotel.

The customer service at this hotel was appalling and infuriating. As a normally mild-mannered person, the aggressive customer service at this hotel was confronting and negatively impacted on my stay in Auckland.

I was extremely dissatisfied with my level of experience at this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone.

6  Thank missmagenta
Reviewed 21 April 2008

My stay was booked through my employer. When i checked in, I was asked for my own debit card. I asked specifically if anything would be charged to it, other than meals/room service etc and was assured absolutely nothing would be taken. On checking my account the day before i check out, a large sum of money had been taken from my account. After asking the bank to trace it, it turns out it was the Quadrant. I rung them asking them about this and it was initially denied, then I was told it was a "pre-authorisation holding fee" that would be released upon checking out, and that every person who stays at the hotel has this happen - I know this is not true as my colleague did not have any money taken from her account. This money did not appear back in my account for several days. At no point was I offered an apology for the fact the money was taken, nor the fact that I wasn't told it was going to happen when i checked in. I asked to speak to a manager, no-one called me back, so I had to call yet again. I was eventually called back by someone when i coudn't speak to them and was told to call back myself. All in all, crap and frustrating experience and definitely won't be staying there again.

On top of this, reception were useless in terms of telling you where nearby facilities were and appeared to have no idea - I had to ask a taxi driver in the end where i could get some lunch.

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank quadrantauckland
Reviewed 8 April 2008

A hotel trying to be "hip" but failing miserably in all the ways that really matter. Desk staff confused and unhelpful: it took two hours just to check in. Pounding music in the foyer, more in the elevators, all of which are fitted with music video TV blaring the most gawdawful rubbish. Tiny, cramped hallways, and floors accessible only with special keys: we were on two different floors, and it took a total of four keys to move between them. We tried walking the stairwells, but once inside we were locked in, and had to pound and pound be released. No restaurant to speak of. Parking ($20 a day). We are world travellers with experience in India, Japan, Europe, South America. This was the worst hotel we've ever stayed in. Avoid it!

3  Thank Anthropologist