“Average at best ”

Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Average at best ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival we found out our room was getting maintenance so we were downgraded to a smaller room & given a complementary breakfast, however when we went down to get breakfast they told us breakfast was closed early due to maintenance, the smell of varnish was so strong it would have been horrible to sit down and eat anyway, you could smell it in the lift foyer and reception area. They said we could order to our room. We placed our orders went back to room. Food arrived, toast was cold, no spreads for toast, the worst part was the croissants and danishes tasted like varnish, so they obviously had been sitting on buffet table in the restaurant for some time. we hardly touched the breakfast and ended up eating out instead! Good location and nice view, room a good size, bathroom was tiny, not ideal for 4 girls! room was clean but walls were dirty. Also had to keep ringing reception for towels, toilet paper etc. wouldn't stay here again though.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Minna D, Guest Relations Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your experience at our hotel. We appreciate all constructive comments, giving us a better idea on future improvements. We are extremely disappointed that the service you received fell below both your expectations and our standards. All of your comments are being dealt with at an Executive level and have been relayed back to the respective managers and their teams.
I would very much like for you to give us a second opportunity to show you our hospitality, and I can assure you that you will be happy with your decision.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback and I do hope we are able to welcome you back in the future.

Minna Dubey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Reasonable hotel in very nice location. Updated minibar when I had the do not disturb sign out. And do not have a current menu in the room for "room service" which when talking to with limited English, on the phone became very confusing.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Hanski,

Thanks for your feedback. It is good that you had agood stay. I apologise for the service lapse, where you say the minibar in the room was updated despite DND sign outside your room. I will follow up on this. Also thank you for your suggestion regarding inhouse menu.

Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Warm regards,
Minna Dubey

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Cable Bay, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I travel a bit for work, and have previously stayed at the Quadrant. After staying the last time, I can say that I wasn't really looking forward to my stay here again, but that's simply because I didn't like that I could hear people walking in the room above mine the last time.

The Quadrant is very close and handy to my work destination, so that's a bonus. When I arrived, one of the elevators was broken, which meant that a substantial amount of people had to rely on the use of two which made for quite lengthy wait times. I stayed for two nights and this was not fixed in this time.

Upon getting to the floor that I was staying on, I noticed that there were old fries sitting in the corner next to the elevator. Those also remained for the duration of my stay and to be honest they looked like they had been there a while already.

My room was clean and decent, however the bathroom is very, very small. Look, it did the job. The restaurant is a bit of a strange one though. It's not really a restaurant, more than an extension to the side of the hallway outside the lift, separated by a tassel curtain. Not very convenient when only two of the three elevators are working and there's a long queue standing right next to you when you're trying to consume your meal. The food, however, was very good. The only things I could pick on in this area is that they serve a beautiful steak meal, but you're out of luck if you want a steak knife to eat it with. Yes, a steak knife, for a steak meal. And also, the wait times for meals is quite lengthy and staff often seemed panicked and not shy of letting everyone see it.

Stay here if you need to, but you will find other options for around the same price that might be just that little bit nicer.

Oh, and the staff that I mainly dealt with at the front desk were very friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less than top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. There are a number of issues you have raised in your review that are a real concern to me. I have already discussed these issues with the relevant department heads.
Since you have stayed with us before, It is sad that this time we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay. I would very much like for you to give us another opportunity to show you our hospitality and rectify your experience. I am sure you will be happy with your decision.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

front desk service staff skills need to be improved and trained, they are racies of asian customers by talking to european, indian, western people friendly and positively, and carelessly when chinese or asian customers present, i have encounter few cases, include my own expirences and also mentioned by my clients.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank purenewzealander
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your taking time to write your review. It is disappointing to know that your experience at the front desk was not good. It is surprising that you found their attitude racist towards Asians. Incidentally our front desk staff is mostly asian and such an attitude from them is strange. But I have followed this up with them and instructed them to always take care because this is just not accepted as we have a policy of respecting all our guests irespectice of race, country or culture.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Take care and I am sure next time upon staying with us it will be an easier experience.

Warm Regards,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

We arrived late on a Friday to find there was no parking available and that it would be $30 a day, they also said the credit card I paid with wasn't acceptable and that we had to pay a $250 cash bond. Had we been told this upon making the reservation over the phone or if it had of been on the website it would have been ok and we would have been able to make alternative arrangements. But it was an unpleasant surprise to arrive to.
The rooms were nice we stayed one night in a 1 bedroom unit, but preferred the 2nd night in a studio queen unit. Clean and had everything you need in it for a weekend away (apart from a frying pan). Walking distance to everything. The french girl in reception during the day was very lovely and she redeemed the unpleasant check in we had.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your review. It is sad that you were disappointed on your arrival. I do not understand that why your credit card was not accepted, as we accept all credit cards. It could have been a debit card, as that is what is not accepted. It is a standard policy that a credit card is required at check-ins even if the booking is prepaid. That is for incidentals and security purpose and in case a credit card is not presented, a cash bond can be paid. These details are always advised to the guest in the booking confirmation email.
Regarding the parking charges, it is not $30 but $28 and I can assure you that it is one of the cheapest in the central city. As regards no parking available, it sounds improbable as we always have enough parking available and so far we have not refused any of our guests.
I will investigate as to what happened here. It was good though that you liked your room and Patricia at the front desk made up for your not so good check-in experience.
Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future and I am sure it will be a better check-in experience.

Warm regards,
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

The quadrant is right next to the Pullman hotel, conveniently located for the uni and vector events centre. It is a newish property, 4 stars. A small restaurant and bar, really tailored for holiday makers who want to head out to eat, and there are many studio rooms with small but complete kitchens. I'd suggest paying just slightly more ($10) for one of these, as they are roomy, and likely to be better situated. Mine was super clean and well maintained. Views from the higher floors are glorious and it is quiet. The staff were fine and the whole experience was good value for money at least $100 per night cheaper than its neighbour.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Minna D, Guest Relations Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Hi Sally,

It is great to have a wonderful feedback from you. We are glad you enjoyed what we offer here at our property. It is our aim that our guests get value for their money when they stay with us. Your feedback encourages us to strive to maintain our standards.
Thankyou for your support. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Upon check in we were seen to by a very friendly and helpful member of staff who gave us the key cards to our room.

The room itself was spacious with a microwave, a washing machine an extremely comfortable bed. The bathroom was relatively small but clean.

The best part in my opinion was the complimentary laptop offered at reception, something I personally have never seen before.

Overall this was a wonderful experience and I definitely would return.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. It gives us great pleasure and pride when our guests have a positive experience staying with us.
We take immense pleasure in being able to serve our guests every day and enjoy what we do.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,