“"Not worth the high price"”

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Ranked #29 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed at The Quadrant for 2 nights to see the Cirque du Soleil. We were quite disappointed for the amount that we paid for the hotel-$388 for 2 nights. The bathroom was TINY with 1 small soap which we had to shift from the hand basin to the shower and back. There was no hand towel or face cloth. I booked this hotel through booking.com and was charged more on my credit card than the room cost on booking.com. The hotel is very handy to Vector and Britomart, but would not use it again as there are cheaper hotels which are better.

Room Tip: Room was on 14th floor - had an ok view and a nice little deck.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Minna D, Guest Relations Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Heather,
I thank you for taking the time to share the experience during your last stay.
We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service. I am very disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay. I apologise for the poor housekeeping experience you had. I will surely follow it up as this is certainly not the Quadrant standard.
Regarding you being charged more than the rate on booking.com is because there is a credit card surcharge added to the charge whenever the payment is done through credit card. This is very clearly mentioned in the booking confirmation email that we send.
Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that we are actually worth the price we charge.
Do not hesitate to contact me directly at quad.corp@vrhotels.co.nz if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed here as part of a conference. Several fellow attendees had the following experiences: bad smell coming from the plumbing; arrived to find room uncleaned, complained to front desk, came back two hours later, room still not ready; electrical socket hanging off the wall. My first room was highly unpleasant; when I changed rooms, I was put in one that was missing several items. I finally had to resort to tracking down the conference organizer to submit a complaint as the front desk was completely unresponsive and unhelpful. Would not recommend to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room here; go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Voyageur613
Minna D, Guest Relations Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We pride ourselves in offering high level of service. We are disappointed that your experience was not a pleasant one. Any feedback we receive helps us to be better.
As posted, you stayed with us in Dec'2012. It is almost an year after that now, and it becomes a little difficult for me to follow up on this with the staff. Had we been advised of this on time, we would have investigated and addressed. Such feedbacks are of a major concern to me. You can see by our other reviews that we take great pride in our service standards – we invest a lot of time in training and hiring to ensure we have the most capable team. But thank you for letting us know as it keeps us alert towards maintaining our standards.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed here for one night last week. This is a modern hotel. My room was on Level 19. The room was not large, but it was very sunny and had everything I needed. The bathroom was adequate. No bath, however the shower was large enough, the water pressure was better than some hotels I've been in. Large fluffy towels, hair dryer, hand soap, shower gel and body moisturizer supplied. The bed was large and comfy with adequate pillows. There was a small balcony off my room with nice city and water views. I have stayed at this hotel a few times in the past and found that rooms on the lower levels look straight into another apartment. So if you are staying here and want a room with a view then advise them of this and request a room on a higher level. I also liked that entry to the various floors required a room card. There is a restaurant and also a small bar. It is a handy location to the universities ( walking distance). It's next door to the Hyatt Regency Hotel. There are plenty of taxis available from the Hyatt although the team at reception are very helpful and always called me a taxi. It's also located by the high courts. For people who enjoy walking I think this is a handy location down to the waterfront. I enjoy staying here because it is clean, safe and comfortable and the staff at reception always friendly. I also liked that they delivered me a morning newspaper without having to request one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the top with a view. Otherwise you could end up with a room that looks across to a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank 156AnneF156

Dear Valued Guest,
Thanks for the great feedback..We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay even more enjoyable. It is wonderful that you embraced and enjoyed what we offer here at The Quadrant. Your feedback is a great driver in ensuring that we work hard to maintain the high standards we have. Thanks for your encouragement and support.
Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed for 5 nights recently and overall it was a good experience.

The rooms are small but well equipped. The kitchenette was very functional and the room was light and bright. I had a nice outlook down to the harbour.

The location is terrific, close to the city and walking distance to most transport links and Business district.

Instructions for the washing machine we're missing from the info folder and it was not intuitive.

Room service was nothing special, but served the purpose. There are so many good restaurants near by I wouldn't bother with it again

House keeping was fine, but it was irritating to return from a day out at 4:30pm to find the room hadn't been serviced

Overall, a bargain for what I paid, I would stay again very happily

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Jacf05
Minna D, Guest Relations Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are very glad to hear that you had a good experience, staying with us. There are many things that made up for your good stay and we are happy that you enjoyed what we offer. There is a mention of some service delays. I apologise for that. I will follow it up and make sure it is not repeated again. Also the washing machine instructions are now in place. Thanks for letting us know.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

I don't usually want to be too negative in my reviews and pick out at least a few positives... Unfortunately I'm really struggling with this one!

Negatives 1- Upon arrival to the room a very strange and strong egg like smell hit me, so much so i went straight to the ranch slider to get some very needed fresh air in the room. I'm not sure where or what the smell is but each time we go away and come back to the room it still there and 'hits' you again

2- There is stains on the couch, looks like food maybe, not sitting there.

3- No tv in the bedroom. So our room is a kind of one bedroom setup it had the bedroom off the living, kitchen, bathroom area. The bedroom is split from the rest by a wardrobe and a sliding door. The tv is not viewable from the bedroom, when on holiday I looooove watching the tv from bed unfortunately cant do that here

4- 1 last moan - there were no face cloths/ flannels I did ring reception and asked for some which were brought up fairly quickly.

Onto some positives

1- the hotel is central and close to queen st.

2- large room service menu

3- comfortable bed

4- iPhone docking alarm clock.

I guess for me unfortunately with the amount of hotels on offer in Auckland I wouldn't come back here I would take my chances with another place

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrSmith00

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your feed back. We are disappointed that your experience with us was not as good. We apologise for that.
There are a few issues raised. Regarding the strange smell in the room, had we been informed, we would have definitely organised a room move for you.
We are sorry you could not enjoy the T.V. from your bed, as the layout of the room you booked has the T.V. in the lounge but we do have a lot of rooms with the T.V. in the bedrooms as well.
The stains on the couch are a concern with me and I have followed this up with the executive housekeeper.
We are glad that there are a few things you liked, like our location, beds and some other things. Thanks for that.
Take care and we hope you do give us another chance to show our hospitality.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

BEWARE! The building that this hotel is situated in also has resident apartments. Many of the occupants like to party on their balconies all night or blast their music with the doors wide opena. Additionally the front desk is powerless to do anything about them and advise to contact the resident manager on Monday. Watch out for rooms near 903 and 1102.

Room Tip: Do not pick a room near 903.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I needed somewhere to lay my head for a quick turnaround before leaving Auckland to head north. I wanted value and was looking at other cheaper options but the feedback was noisy/loud/dated. I got a great deal to stay at the quadrant for around $100NZD. The room was small but impeccable, modern, comfortable and quite. Too small for a long term stay, but a night or two is perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jane G
Minna D, Guest Relations Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Jane,

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! It is good that you enjoyed what we offer.

Warm regards,