The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
US$232
US$214
Hilton
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)
US$156
US$151
CrownePlaza.com
  • Room Service
SKYCITY Grand Hotel(Auckland Central)
US$184
US$173
US$288
US$268
  • Restaurant
Grand Millennium Auckland(Auckland Central)
US$151
  • Restaurant
Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$136
SKYCITY Hotel(Auckland Central)
US$179
US$138
  • Restaurant
Pullman Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$149
Orbitz.com
US$198
US$148
1,289 results
All reviewswasher dryeralbert parkfree wifistudio roomsteep hillvalet parkingqueen streetsmall balconynew zealandkey cardvector arenacooking facilitiesfull kitchencity centresky toweruniversityharbour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Every couple of years I visit Auckland and based on past experiences automatically book to stay at The Quantrant Hotel. Next visit to Auckland I will reconsider my options for accommodation.
After an overseas flight and trip from the airport I was tired.Upon arrival I had to wait for an elevator to my floor as the first two lifts that stopped in reception was full of cleaning staff and gear. May I suggest a service elevator.
The first morning when I went to breakfast in the hotel there is no fruit juice on offer. I tried the bacon, scrambled eggs, grilled tomatoes and the potato patty.All were cold despite being presented as a hot breakfast.At 8.30 in the morning there is no excuse for presenting a cold breakfast. For the rest of my stay I had to go downtown to have a hot breakfast.
The security card giving access to my floor and room failed on two occasions.On the first episode I was advised to keep my security card away from credit cards in my wallet and mobile phone.I followed the instruction but still had the same problem. Unacceptable.
The fridge in our room froze everything despite being turned to the lowest point.
The staff are friendly and the room acceptable but the aforementioned clouded a happy stay.

2  Thank Ron H
VRGroup, General Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Ron H,

Sincere thank you for your valuable feedback, it was much appreciated. I apologise for not being able to make your stay pleasant with us.

We have noted your concerns very carefully and have taken appropriate actions to avoid any such re-occurrence.

Further, we look forward to receive an opportunity to host you again and change your experience at The Quadrant.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Walking into the Quadrant is an exercise in contrasts: next-door is the Pullman, a hotel that looks and feels like a classic downtown hotel, with lounge-suited doormen, and calming colors of dark wood and stone. Across the road is Old Government House, the former vice-regal residence, an italianate Victorian structure (timber, made to look like stone) now housing the University of Auckland's staff club. Just down the road is the High Court, with its token gestures toward Tudor Gothic. All around, the buildings try to be stately and monumental. They really suggest the shortage of materials, funds and architectural skills in the colony's early history, but at least they try. The Quadrant tries the exact opposite. It tries for modernist minimalism, with clean, unadorned surfaces of not-quite-white. Is it stone? Concrete? Can't really tell, and it doesn't matter anyway. What we see is unbroken planes of not-quite-white. They aren't only not-quite-white; they're also not-quite-big-enough. The entry driveway is frequently clogged with guests coming and going, since the valet service is not-quite-staffed to cope. The reception desk is often overwhelmed, especially when a tour group or a study abroad group arrives all at once. The desk staff do an admirable job of remaining calm and friendly, though it's clear that there are not-quite-enough of them, and not quite enough space for all the milling guests to wait in.

Then there is the long corridor from reception to the elevators, long enough, but not quite wide enough. Guests often bump suitcases, if not also each other, traversing this lengthy gangway. The gangway runs parallel to a void. In the void stand a few floral arrangements, beautifully architectural, on dark grey stone posts. If you take the time to look down, you'll see that there's a shallow pool there running the void's full length, not quite deep enough, so it's not quite visible. Even when you get off the gangway, it's still not quite visible, so they've put up a red rope cordon to stop people from walking into it. The water is also not quite clean: every day we looked, it was covered with a thin layer of dust. If only they'd used this space for a wider gangway, perhaps putting the floral displays along the central axis.

A small restaurant and bar await at the gangway's end. Neither quite appealed to us. Breakfast was astonishingly expensive for plain food, apparently not-quite fresh because they didn't have quite enough customers to keep it turning over. I judged this from how dry the eggs and baked beans looked when I passed it in the mornings. We were given vouchers for free drinks at the bar, but the eating space is tiny and noisy, so the voucher wasn't quite enough to draw us there.

There aren't quite enough elevators, either. Often we'd wait as long as ten minutes for one, along with a line of other guests snaking around the space not-quite-large-enough, trying not to encroach on the restaurant space, and while the staff had to weave through us as well.

The minimalist effort continues all the way up and into the room. We had a two-bedroom suite with an in-room laundry (combined washer and dryer), and a wonderful view over the inner harbor. Every day we woke up and watched the ferries and cruise ships, and were generally not bothered by traffic noise (since the nearest busy street is on the other side of the building). Living in the room was quite an exercise. The minimalist take on furnishing had provided beds, little frames for bedside tables, and bedside lamps whose minimalist bases were not quite strong enough to hold the posts upright. There was a closet with four coathangers, and they happily provided about a dozen more after we asked for them, though the time taken to do this was far from minimal. It would have been nice to have had a chest of drawers; we lived out of our suitcases for the non-hanging items, but were hampered by there being no place for suitcases to go. We put them on the floor beside the bed, in the space not-quite-wide enough, making a small hurdle over which to jump.

The kitchen included a cooktop, full-width oven, dishwasher, fridge, microwave. The minimalist effort was confused here: rather than a saucepan and frypan, we had two of the former and none of the latter. There was a can-opener that did not work, and no utensils for cooking — just a big serving spoon.

Around the dining table is not quite enough room to sit, and the crampedness is made worse by the chairs having big arms and being hard to slide over the carpet. Above the table is a big television screen, right next to the big glass wall that makes the screen hard to see. We didn't use it much at all during our stay.

Our room was serviced every day or two, and the long-term housekeepers were very nice to us. We did not always get a long-term person, though, and often found that they had left no dishwasher detergent and no laundry detergent. Sometimes we received a far-from-minimal stash of hand dishwashing detergent sachets. Every day they expanded our supply of shampoo, conditioner, skin lotion and soap which, by the end of our stay, had accumulated into a small mountain in the space not quite large enough to store it.

The Quadrant's greatest values are its location, its views and its friendly staff. Its attempt to be modern and minimalist, however, falls short just like its neighbors' attempts to be monumental and grand. Staying here like is like participating in public installation art that challenges popular misunderstandings of minimalism, consistently showing how hard minimalism is to achieve: the architects have cut back on the essentials, not the extras, leaving a hotel that says not "minimal", but "not quite".

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Accented,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. At Quadrant Hotel, we take pride at our hotel's modern and upbeat look. We always keep our rooms and public areas in top shape for the comfort and convenience of our guests.

Our bar and restaurant is highly rated on Trip Advisor and many other websites for its exquisite taste and variety.

It would be helpful to investigate, if you can share some details such as your stay dates and name under which the reservation was made.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here 2 nights for a long weekend. Great location only a couple of blocks walk to Downtown and opposite Albert Park. Bed clean and comfy. Bathroom small but modern. Friendly efficient staff on front desk. Breakfast nice even though they had a small area to set up in. Excellent valet parking and retrieval. Room had a small kitchen and washing machine that we didn't use. Only downside was the noisy service alleyway outside our room when the sliding door was open.

Dear Suzyloo99,

We really appreciate your encouraging and valuable feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are equally delighted to have you as our valued guest.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you again and making your stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here for one night, before the start of our NZ vacation. We had booked the Penthouse room, mainly for the views across the harbor. However, seeing as we had booked the best room at the hotel, the service did not support it at all. Here are a few things that, let's just say irked me during the stay
1. The toilets were not clean. They had brown stains on them from previous use ...
2. The reception seems to staffed with students, who work at the hotel to complete their internship requirement from a Hotel management school. Its like they're trying to remember from a manual as to how to approach any situation. I think the thing that really stuck out for me was when they couldn't print a simple document when I asked them to and their excuse was that the systems were new and they're not very IT proficient. I'm sorry but its 2014 and computers have been around awhile - its time to get on the bandwagon.
3. They have a small kitchenette in the room, but no towels (hand or paper) to dry our hands with.
4. They have no information in the room about the local area, or for that matter how to call the reception. They had a menu for the restaurant downstairs, but when we called them to place a room service order we were told to call them back in ten minutes as they were presently busy.

Some of the points above could be seen as being demanding (which I am) but when you call yourself a "4-Star Hotel" (as can be seen on their website), there are some things which are and should be taken for granted, and one of them is impeccable service.

All in all, the only thing good about staying here was that the view was pretty good, that's not a reflection of the hotel at all. All the while I was there, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was in a glorified backpacker motel, and I've actually stayed in one and that was a much better experience that this one was.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here.
1  Thank PB_the_Expl0rer

Dear PB_the_Expl0rer,

We appreciate your valuable feedback. I am sorry that you did not have a very pleasant stay with us.

We have noted your concerns very carefully and have taken appropriate actions to avoid any such re-occurrence from our housekeeping staff.

Further we look forward to receive an opportunity to host you again and change your experience with us.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel has an excellent central location near Albert park. The staff are courteous and helpful. The beds are comfortable and the appliances are modern. The view from my room was pleasant. The downsides are: sheets may not be washed properly at times (I regularly found long hair in my bed - I stayed a few weeks), and the same for towels which seem to leave some whitish powdery compound on skin at times. The 3 lifts are badly insufficient for a large hotel (and its staff as well as guests) and their swipe-card system is very unreliable (on several occasions, I could not get to my floor because the card would not recognize me - this was extremely common). One of my night lamps did not work. The corridors and fixtures are a bit worn out and the hotel generally needs a refurbishment. The sound insulation is just adequate, unless you are a light sleeper. These things just tipped my ranking to "average"

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear OceanRower,

We appreciate your valuable feedback. Sorry to hear we missed to meet your expectations. However, we have noted your concerns very carefully and have taken appropriate actions to avoid any such re-occurrence.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back a The Quadrant and hope we cab enhance your experience during your next visit to Auckland.