“Very good”

Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Adelaide
“Very good”
Reviewed 30 October 2010

This hotel well and truly met our needs. The kitchenette was a great feature with microwave, cooktop, dishwasher and washer/dryer.
The room was quiet and the hotel very secure.
The bathroom was VERY small which would be our only complaint about it.
It was the nearest and nicest hotel to Vector Arena which was important to us as we were there to go to a concert, yet still walking distance to sky tower and the marina.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 28 October 2010

My husband and I had a two day stop-over in Auckland on our way to Canada - stayed at the Quadrant in a Studio Room - it was so clean and the bed was so comfortable - the staff were excellent and so happy to help - it was in a good position where we were able to walk to everthing - overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a stay in this Hotel - we thought it was great!

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I'll get rid of the negative first. On this occasion at The Quadrant, I received the worst service of any Hotel I have stayed in around the world, by the male Duty Manager (This is the only reason that service lost a point).

The sad thing was while I would normally try out different Hotels each visit to Auckland, I chose to come back to The Quadrant, based on previous stays.

Anyway, thanks to The Quadrants Assistant Manager Richard Bungeroth, I am leaving out the details of what happened and my review is much better as a result.
Basically, I phoned the Hotel to see how best to go about providing my feedback to them and I received a phone call in less than an hour from Richard, who was very understanding, apologetic and genuine about it also.
He gave me his email address to write my feedback, but also sent me a courtesy email so I knew I had the right address.
And he then replied to my feedback promptly with a very professional but heartfelt reply that really did make me feel I'm a valued client of The Quadrant.

The only other negative was that the Spa pool was broken on this occasion, though these things do happen and I'm sure they will get it fixed asap!
It was a pain because it's such a nice spa and in a beautiful setting by a lovely courtyard, and I look forward to it every time.

The Hotel itself is 'O' for awesome. It's located a very short walk from Queen Street, and the surrounding area like Albert Park, is easily the most beautiful part of Central Auckland.

The reception desk is manned 24/7 so there are no issues with whatever time you arrive. This time I arrived at 10:30pm and got served straight away.
The ladies on the front desk are professional, but friendly and make me feel very welcome each time I come to stay.

The Hotel has a lovely cosy bar and sitting area, a nice gym and very nice relaxing spa (when it's working lol).
The decor is very modern, and they even have things like TV's playing Juice TV in the lifts!

The whole Hotel is always spotless. The hallways look and smell clean.

While I know The Quadrant has larger rooms, I find the studio rooms perfect!
I have stayed in other Hotels around Auckland claiming to be 5 star luxury, where although still very nice, I walk into the room to find things like an old technology CRT TV sitting there.
My room at The Quadrant had a nice size flat screen TV sitting on the wall, and in a handy location directly in front of the bed as well.

Also, I looked at a number of other Hotels who all said when you stay you get 30 mins free Internet in the LOBBY!
The Quadrant had free Wi-Fi throughout the whole Hotel and no time limit, so I could use my iphone in the bar, the lifts and most importantly in my room.

One thing I see many people comment on is the noise at certain Hotels, which kept them awake. I had a room at a top resort in Phuket, near a noisy maintenance room, and it kept us awake allot.
I have never had a problem with noise at The Quadrant, and I am one of the lightest sleepers in the world.
There has been no noise problem on any of my stays, and I always get a great night sleep on their comfortable beds.

There isn't much else I can say other than that I do highly recommend The Quadrant Hotel in Auckland. It has been great every time I have stayed there, and the good thing about the lack of service from just ONE staff member, was a perfect opportunity for me to see how great the Management team are at The Quadrant, and how they really do value the guests that come to stay.

Next year I have a minimum of three trips to Auckland for just my karate tournaments, let alone other things like concerts, and they will all be at The Quadrant. Along with my other guys, who I will be recommending stay there too.

Thank you again to the Assistant Manager Richard Bungeroth, for ensuring I keep coming back to The Quadrant.

Jacob

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jacob15
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 26 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at The Quadrant for 3 weeks when we moved from the US to NZ. The perks about The Quadrant are that it's centrally located, modern, clean, and the rooms are well-equipped for a short-term stay. There was a kitchen, refrigerator, stove top, washer/dryer, dishwasher, and basic cooking gear included. The housekeeping staff replaced dishwasher soap as needed, and were good about coming on a regular basis. Room service was nice and the food tasted good.

The downsides were that housekeeping would sometimes do strange things, like leaving us LOTS of large towels but no washcloths, or coming at different times in the day so that you never knew when your room would be serviced. Also, parking and the front drive is nuts. Its a very crowded inlet in front of the hotel, and you often had to weave your way through cars that were double- and triple-parked. Thankfully, there's valet parking for the garage, but we always found it very difficult to get in and out of the hotel. The other strange thing was the music in the elevators. They constantly played weird, modern, MTV-style music videos that really were not in keeping with the theme of the hotel. I would strongly recommend that they change the channel!

Overall, it was a good hotel and definitely met our needs. The concierge was helpful and was more than willing to let us keep our luggage behind the desk when we were in the process of moving out into our apartment. I would recommend it for anyone on business trips or making the move to New Zealand.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We arrived at a very busy time with a packed lobby and hard-working staff. Room wasn't ready, and there was some confusion between housekeeping and reception. However, our room was great when we got there - twin beds in a separate room and full sliding doors opening onto small balcony with great harbour view - really appreciated being able to have fresh air in the room, and sit in the comfort of the couch while taking in the view. Bathroom was very tiny but servicable, and an initial problem with the tv was rectified fairly quickly. Room service meal was delicious!

The only thing was that everything was a bit chaotic throughout the hotel. There are a few lifts but they are in high demand! The service staff are friendly in spite of systems, processes and communications obviously not working as required, so I give them an A for effort, but a C for execution. However, there was a great sense of fun about this hotel during our stay, so I'd still recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 October 2010

We knew way before to expect room to be small in size so weren't caught by surprise in that area. We were a little disappointed with our balcony view - the back of the Hyatt. We were stoked with the washer/dryer. When we ran out of powder we were provided with more!! That is an awesome idea which we highly valued as we were coming to the end of our trip. The kitchen is very clean with all the appliances and crockery. The bed was super comfy and the sheets were always beautiful and fresh. The bathroom was very tiny. In our shower the tiles needed a bit of a scrub but otherwise the bathroom was spotless. It was refreshing to be provided with toiletries that weren't the same old el-cheapo stuff! The towels were nice and crispy but not too crispy that it felt like sand paper! The Wi-Fi was free and SUPER FAST! I found the staff to be ok. A genuine smile and hello goes along way guys - staff need to learn it. Value for money was definitely met. I paid $110 to stay in a motel in Whakatane that was old and damp and I paid $140 at The Quadrant which is fresh and modern! I would definitely stay again but will surely ask for a room further back and on a higher level so my view will be a little better :)

Perth
Reviewed 17 October 2010

The hotel and its facilities were generally good, nice modern hotel with friendly staff. The room was clean and well equipped except it had only one wine glass. We asked for a second glass at reception and after waiting one and a half hours with no response we had to raid one of the tables in the restaurant to get a glass. The room also had a courtyard which was covered with cigarette butts. When we pointed this out the staff asked if we wanted it cleaned, we told them it was up to them but that it was their reputation being affected, it was not cleaned. The shower was also interesting, very weak flow and then intermittently the water flow would just stop for a few seconds then start again very cold before heating up again. Other than these issues the hotel and room were fine. Unless you're into cigarette buts ask for a room with a balcony not a courtyard.