“Great View”

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Ranked #27 of 67 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We stayed here for 8 nights on a recent visit to NZ. The rooms were small but comfortable. They included a washer, dryer, microwave, fridge and other amenities. We were on the 18th floor overlooking the harbour, so the view was great! The hotel is located on the top of a hill, but close to downtown. A short walk if you don't mind the hill. There is also free wireless in the room which was handy to stay in contact with family and friends. Friendly staff. A real find.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland

Reviewed 23 February 2011

This is my second review on The Quadrant, though I have stayed there a number of times now.

I flew up for a karate tournament on Sunday morning and checked in late Sunday afternoon. The lady at the front desk (so sorry I didn't ask for her name) was very pleasant, asked about the tournament and was all excited to see my medals etc. As was the Duty Manager Tim. They made me feel very welcome and Tim said to phone him personally if I needed anything. A couple of times I returned late at night to find Tim still working, and wondered if he ever leaves the place!

The Hotel lobby, bar area, lifts and hallways were spotless as always.

My room???

Well this time they stuck me on the 19th floor in an executive room, with TWO balconies. One looked towards the Sky Tower and the other looked over the harbour and Rangitoto Island (The Volcano). I arrived in my room to watch a huge cruise ship departing.
The room was spotless and even had a washing machine to wash my sweaty karate gi lol.

In my last review, the only negative feedback about the property was that the spa pool was broken. Well, I went down to find a brand new spa pool with dozens of jets and boy did it feel great after a day of karate! I used it 5 times during my 2 night stay.
On the Monday night, I met this lovely Canadian couple in the spa, who had chosen to stay 8 nights at The Quadrant based on Tripadvisor.com reviews they read.

I'm one of the world's lightest sleepers, but had a fantastic sleep both nights. The bed was super comfy and the Hotel was nice and quiet.

Both mornings I headed down the lift to the bar area to make use of the continental breakfast, and was greeted each time by the gorgeous face and natural smile belonging to Sabrina.
Sabrina took fantastic care of myself and the other guests. She came around offering to get drinks, never needing to write anything down. Nothing was a hassle for her. She showed awesome customer service and is a valuable asset to The Quadrant.

As was Rajiv, who was manning the bar, and making all the coffee etc for the breakfast guests. A good looking young man, very well spoken, friendly, professional and also a great asset to the Hotel.

Sabrina and Rajiv made a great team and really helped make my stay a pleasant one.

At breakfast I met Richard Bungeroth, The Quadrant's Assistant Manager. From the number of chats with him, he left me feeling like The Quadrant was my Auckland home away from home. I saw him wear a number of different hats during my stay. One minute he is attending to things at reception, the next he is taking cups of coffee over to breakfast guests, to support the staff there.
Richard also showed me that nothing was a hassle and that all that mattered was that I and other guests were happy.

I read some negative feedback about how The Quadrant was located up a hill. In fact, I think a number of people mentioned it.
Well, I can't believe how sad that is. Let me point out a few things about this hill. It is less than 1km from Aucklands main Queen Street to The Quadrant (honestly feels like 400-500 metres) and takes you less than 5 mins.
You walk up past some of the most beautiful scenery in Auckland, including Albert Park, where they just held the Chinese Lantern Festival.
And I'll tell you, after pigging out at the buffet restaurant by the casino, the short gentle walk up the hill was the perfect way to walk off dinner.

I almost don't want to mention how close The Quadrant is to Vector Arena, where so many Auckland events and concerts are held, as I don't want to risk the Hotel being booked out when I need a room.

I was really pleased to see that all the negative feedback for The Quadrant was dated and that with all the improvements management have made since, the Hotel has been on a steady climb up the ranks.
Before this stay, I checked and The Quadrant was ranked 13th out of 127 Hotels. After my last stay, I see it's now 11th out of 129.
I hope my review helps push it into the top 10, as I truly believe The Quadrant belongs there!

Thanks again to all the staff that made my stay so enjoyable :)

Jacob

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Jacob15
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Hotel was as expected for 4* hotel in inner city location. Rooms were clean and tidy and reasonable well equipped. We stayed in a 2 bedroom room which was quite small with the 2nd bedroom being a movable walled off corner of the living area. Views from the balcony over the harbour. Only complaint was after a 14hr flight which arrived early in the morning, attempted to check-in at 12pm but the room was not available, returned at the stated check-in time of 3pm but the room was still not available, eventually got room at 4:30pm

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Kevin B
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Hi,

I was on a vacation to New Zealand & stayed at The Quadrant for 2 days. Amazing Hotel, neat & clean. I had booked a Studio Apartment, Room was great with all the basic amenities. Balcony had a sound proof glass so super silence in the room. Had a sea view from the balcony. Will surely return to the Hotel. Keep up the good work.

There is free WiFi in each room, which I didn't get any any other hotel in New Zealand. The only thing not available was Free Parking. It was 28NZD for a Night. Free parking is available on the street across, but only from 6PM - 7AM.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2011

This hotel was a real find. Rooms were compact but did include washing machine, fridge/freezer and dining table plus desk. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
Excellent value for money in a good location.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2011

If you are in the middle of a trip and your bag is full of laundry - room has a washing machine with dryer (a bit tricky to figure out, but once you do - it works, btw soap powder is available from reception without extra charges.) If you have an upset tummy or just want to cook something of yor own there is a burner and a microwave and of course a dishwasher to wash up (again soap powder at no extra charge). A little balcony, but not for the faint hearted. Bed is comfy enough, there is air condition and even though room is on a smaller side it is allright for a few nights stay. Hotel is located on top of a hill, so if you mind that, Auckland is probably not your kind of town anyway.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We stayed here on a brief trip to NZ for the weekend. We were not planning on being in the room alot and really only used it to sleep. The bed was comfortable albeit a queen but the room and bathroom quite small. Since we weren't there to luxuriate in the room, we didn't mind that it was small. There were cooking facilities in the room and seemed well equipped with pots and pans if you were staying longer. The hotel is just outside the CBD and you could get away without paying the valet parking on a Sunday as parking across the road was free (and overnight on Fri and Sat nights).

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple