“Classy accommodation in spite of casino”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
NSW
“Classy accommodation in spite of casino”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I was little wary on arrival at how integrated into the casino the hotel was, but after a friendly check-in, I was very impressed with my room. It was a king-size bed, with very clean and new features / facilities. Because i was there for business and didn't have much time, I ordered room-service and it was one of the highest quality room service meals I've had anywhere.

I actually can't find anything to criticise about the room or service - was a great hotel experience.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
SKYCITY H, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Dear Jane4546,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. Here at SKYCITY Hotel we strive to deliver an exceptional guest experience. I am delighted to read your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We would love to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel should you return to Auckland City.

Guest Relations Manager SKYCITY Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Taupo, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 August 2012

First point of contact was Anuma she was extremely professional and answered my questions respectfully also highlighting dining options. I am a smoker so she ensured we had a room with a door to the outside courtyard I had an appointment the next day in town and Anuma organised a late checkout without making it seem like a inconvenient. I organised breakfast and it was delicious . All the staff were very professional and looked very smart definitely a huge asset. If time would of permitted i would of stayed another day. The courtyard did leaving me feeling like nemo in the movie.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank GenevieveVanEden
Dear GenevieveVanEden,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments regarding Anuma. Please be assured I will pass your feedback onto Anuma and our team.

We take pride in delivering excellent customer service and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Auckland
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Rented a premium king suite at SKYCITY hotel for my partners birthday at the end of July! Although it made a dent in my student wallet it was well worth it to see the look on his face :) the room was absolutely amazing!! Spotless clean. Had two rooms large rooms (living area and bedroom) which could be shut off from each other. The bed was huge and super comfortable and all the furniture was really modern. The bath was pretty small but amazing shower with two shower heads! We enjoyed relaxing in the room, had dinner in the city and spent a bit of time in the casino which was also enjoyable and absolutely packed with people. All the staff were really friendly, when I had a few inquiries about parking and the internet the reception staff were easily able to answer everything I needed to know

Would definitely recommend this hotel to people coming to Auckland and those in Auckland looking for a weekend of luxury!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julia O
SKYCITY H, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear Julia O,

I was delighted to read your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled to hear our team assisted in making your partner’s birthday special. Please be assured I have feedback your positive comments to our team who will be delighted to hear this.

Kind Regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stayed here on way back from Bora Bora (amazing!! - see my reviews) for an overnight stay before next evening flight back to Australia. Arrived quite late in evening and were taken straight to hotel.

Check-in was very smooth but the staff weren't very attentative at showing you where your room was - it was up to you. They just pointed to the many lifts and you had to work it out from there, which was a little frustrating after a long flight.

The room itself was quite basic (Harbour View) but very comfortable. Bathroom needed a bit of a revamp though. Breakfast was included which was a nice buffet set-up, all food warm and fresh, but did seem like a bit of a cafeteria to me. We got late check out as our flight wasn't until 6pm and they didn't charge us any extra for that, which we appreciated.

Overall, decent hotel with average accommodation, but we were a little disapppointed here and there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Hi Casula,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. I was delighted to read our team were able to assist you with a late check out free of charge. Please be assured our team have received your comments regarding the lack of a detailed explanation as to where our guest rooms are located on check in. I am sorry for any hassle this caused you during your stay. Please be assured your comments will be used as a coaching tool with our team.

You will be pleased to know that we are in the planning stages of undergoing a bathroom refurbishment, which should begin in the not too distant future.

Should you wish to discuss your visit in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me.

Queensland
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stayed early July 2012. The staff were generally helpful, clean rooms, comfy beds, good service and surroundings. Very, very good Pool area. Exceptionally quiet. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I have encountered.

I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear patrickokeefe8,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and in particular your comments regarding our breakfast buffet. I will certainly pass on your positive feedback to our team

We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Auckland City.

Kind Regards,
Wellington, NZ
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stayed here recently just for one night when visiting some Auckland customers and found it to be good. Modern rooms, which still feel and smell fresh, mine was overlooking an internal courtyard which had benching and was used by a few smokers (fair enough but a bit off-putting). The bathroom was big enough and there were nice toiletries (East Day Spa), which also has a concession in the Grand Hotel opposite. Difference between the two is that the Grand (is grander!) and a little more upmarket. The Skycity Hotel is a casino hotel.I did not go so cannot comment but the place was buzzing and lively and seemingly open all hours.

I ate in two places: the Chinese restaurant which lacked ambience and was hellishly noisy as it is housed on the 1st floor atrium which is the main thoroughfare of the hotel with lifts, stairways and escalators running through it. It's boomy and echoes. If you are looking for a place to eat that is quiet don't come here, but if you are here to gamble and in a group it would be just fine. Food was nice though and service good; professional but not warm. Usual hotel prices $25-40 for a main course.

I also had breakfast downstairs in the atrium lobby. I preferred this. The food was good, I had the pancakes with bacon and banana and there's a nice selection of juices and coffee. Price wise this was around $15-$20 for a main breakfast course.

I slept well but that was because of my ear plugs. Remember that this is a 24/7 place and people will be coming to and from the casino at all hours. Most folk are sadly not considerate when they return home - so bring earplugs if you wish to ensure a decent sleep. Bed comfortable and would recommend for 1 night.

Would probably choose elsewhere if I was not interested in the casino side of things. I also visited the Grand opposite and that was a much more quiet, calm and leisurely affair - so choose wisely when you see the Skycity brand and plump for the Grand if your budget allows...

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, harbour facing
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Minkamonka,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read your positive comments regarding our guest room and bathroom.

Here at SKCITY we are all about thrilling and exciting our guests. Even if the casino is not your cup of tea we have a number of other entrainment options. On your next stay with us we hope you have the opportunity to experience some of our live entertainment. We have late night DJs and great live bands at bar Twenty one and Red Hummingbird. Chivas at The Deck have a quality line up of DJ and musician combinations or enjoy the chilled sounds of Spanish Guitar at Bellota

I was disappointed to hear you experienced noise disruption during your stay with us. I would like to extend to you my sincere apologies. We take all noise complaints very seriously and as soon as a member of our staff is notified of a disturbance we look to resolve this straight away.

We have a number of guests who prefer our courtyard rooms as this allows them easy access to our courtyard. I welcome you to contact me with your details to allow me to update your guest profile requesting you are not allocated a courtyard room on future visits.

Guest Relations Manager.
Piha, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed at Sky City recently on a business trip, I got into y room and thought what a nice room, but why are the curtains closed the way I am facing I should be looking west up the harbour. I opened the curtains to find out why a wall was positioned in front of the window.

If I had been staying here as a visitor to Auckland I would have been disappointed with this. As it was due to the conference I was only using the room for the bed, which was comfortable.

Room Tip: Make sure if you are booking in a room to ensure that if you are after a view that you ask for a roo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Piharian,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read you found our bed comfortable. Please note we do not advertise as a waterfront property. We do have a range of Harbour view Twin and King rooms and I welcome you to book one of these type of rooms on a future stay.

Guest Relations Manger