“Luxurious Experience in the Heart of Auckland”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We were very lucky when on arrival we were told that we had a premium single bedroom suite. Wow, we couldn't believe the room! Aside from the nice big bedroom with comfortable furniture and a good size flat screen television there was a separate lounge room with more casual seating and another flat screen television. The bed was blissfully comfortable.
I loved the shower. It was a good size and had a large dome shower head directly above so it was like showering in gentle rain. All of the room furniture and facilities were modern and felt a "bit upmarket" so it was a nice experience. And there was an in room safe.
We had breakfast in the Fortuna Restaurant which had very ample choice.
If you arrive by car you are best to go directly to the car park on the left as you come down Federal Street (as long as you are able bodied). Park and then take the Atrium lift up to reception. Make sure you advise reception that you have parked and on departure they will give you a ticket which gives you free exit from the car park.
Check in / check out was efficient and the service was friendly. We really enjoyed our brief stay but without a doubt the room upgrade made it extra special.

1  Thank Kiwis-two
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Dear Kiwis-two,

My team and I were thrilled to read you had a lovely experience during your recent stay with us.

Here at SKYCITY Hotel we celebrate great feedback and I have printed your review and posted on our team notice board.

I encourage my team to go above and beyond to provide an exceptional guest experience and I am thrilled to read you were complimentary upgraded to a suite.

We hope you had a safe return trip to Tauranga and look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel on your next visit to Auckland.

Best
Admir

Write a ReviewReviews (1,987)

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Stayed here for one night on our last day in NZ before returning home.
We had booked the 'do not disturb package' which included some bubbly, soaps for a bath , fruit platter , breakfast and valet parking.

Upon arriving we were pleased to be informed that we had been upgraded to a suite! It was very nice and extremely spacious , modern and importantly very clean.

We found staff to be very helpful especially when we needed help deciding on a place to eat.
Its a nice little hotel and was a very pleasant stay.

2  Thank Daniel A

Dear Daniel,

I hope you had an enjoyable time in New Zealand. We are delighted you opted to stay with us at SKYCITY Hotel during your time in Auckland City.

Over the years the 'Do Not Disturb' package has proven popular with many of our guests. It is exceptional value for money with one night in a Premium King or Twin room, chilled champagne, fresh seasonal fruit with chocolate dripping sauce, a selection of high quality soaps and massage oil, room service breakfast for two, late check out and valet parking all for only $279 including GST. I believe this package would make a great Christmas present for friends and family.

We hope you return to Auckland in the near future and my team and I would look forward to having you stay at SKYCITY Hotel.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 9 December 2012

I regularly stay at SKYCITY hotel Auckland. The service is GREAT!!!! I am greeted with respect and offers of help with luggage. The concierge and his staff are particularly helpful and I observ e them and their kindness to all the guests.
Rooms are great and so is the in room dining meals. Price is reasonablew.

Room Tip: The higher numbers are closer to the lifts so you dont have to walk the long corriodor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank tainuku

Dear Tainuku,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the level service provided by our Concierge team, we are proud to have two members of The Hotel Concierge Society Les Clefs d’Or New Zealand as part of our Concierge team.

My team and I take immense pride in the level of service we provide to all guests. Please be assured I have shared your review with the team at Wednesday morning’s briefing.

Please contact me with your details and I will update your guest profile with your room preference.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Is it a shopping centre? A casino? A collection of bars and restaurants? No, it's a hotel, with a casino, lots of shops and restaurants. Now, let's be honest: I hate talking about my age, but the fact that I am not 20 anymore (or 30) might explain why this hotel failed to charm me.
Maybe, had I been younger, I would have been impressed by the 'buzz', the dazzling array of shops, the shiny happy people, whereas now I felt just a little bit dazed:-) Call me old-fashioned, but I got kind of irritated when I could'nt find any information about the breakfast hours.
The decisive test came when I phoned the reception for an express check out and nobody answered for 4 times. The fifth time I was redirected. sorry, but in my opinion, glitz doesn't come first: service and hospitality do. This said: I could'nt fault the room nor the location.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear Talkabout,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at SKYCITY Hotel, New Zealand's premier entertainment destination where we strive to thrill and excite our guests.

I appreciate receiving all guest feedback as it allows my team and I as we strive for improvement to ensure we provide an exceptional guest experience to all.

I welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail. In particular I would like to review the challenges you experienced attempting to make contact with our team. This is not the high service my team and I take pride in and I apologise for the frustration this caused.

I hope to hear from you shortly.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

I just need to say that I stay in every type of hotel and I never encounter the issue of having people smoking everywhere. I could smell cigarettes in my bed room and have an awful smell in my hair after cross the casino. I ask front desk to change me to a non-smoking location, and they told me everything was full. One nice thing they have is that they give you the opportunity to have a free play, but I appreciate clean environments and definitely It is not a pleasant place for your senses if your sense of smell is delicate or if you are asthmatic.

• Stayed: November 2012
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Hi Arnelis,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at SKYCITY Hotel.

SKYCITY is a no smoking property and while every attempt is made to adhere to this it is disappointing when other guests ignore this policy. We have strict rules around our no smoking policy, including penalties.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your unfortunate experience.

I welcome you to contact me with your details to discuss further.

Admir.mullaaliu@skycity.co.nz

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Good location for public transportation, hop on/hop off bus, and walking down to the quay. Clean rooms with good furnishings and comfortable bedding. The concierge was helpful though he told us a taxi ride to the airport would be $35 and it was actually $50. Biggest complain is that the lights turned on in the middle of the night and it was near impossible to figure out how to turn them off -- one of these electricity saving devices where the on/off switch is not straightforward.... So we didn't sleep well at all our last night. Despite that, it was neat being in a casino -- the hotel felt separate, but you were still close to all the action.

Hi Travellingmagnolia,

I hope you enjoyed your visit to New Zealand and have returned safely to Louisiana.

SKYCITY as an entertainment venue and tourism attraction has entertainment to suit all tastes and offers spectacular views of Auckland City.
Enjoy late night DJ’s and great live bands at Red Humming bird and Twentyone.
Chivas at the Deck have an awesome line up of DJ’s and musician combinations or enjoy the chilled sounds of Spanish guitar at Bellota.

I welcome you to contact me with your details to allow me fully investigate your feedback regarding the lights in our guest room.

Kind regards,
Admir.mullaaliu@skycity.co.nz

Reviewed 24 November 2012

I recently spent a week in Auckland on a business training course, and was booked into SkyCity Hotel by my employer. This hotel would not have been my choice, and is not the place to stay for a relaxing break - very busy and crowded, with a buzzy atmosphere. Eating at short-notice in any of the more reasonably-priced in-house restaurants (and there are quite a few to choose from) involved a long wait in a queue. The best thing about this hotel is the location, close to the CBD, shopping and restaurants. I chose to use room service for my daily breakfasts for speed and convenience, and selected the continental option each day. The plunger coffee supplied was disappointing, very weak and in a tiny quantity, there was no fresh fruit option, and the Danish pastry was of poor quality. In the bathroom, water pressure was very low, both in the shower and wash basin. Some maintenance badly needed here - the toilet roll holder was coming away from the wall and the paper roll kept falling off. The room was cleaned thoroughly during my stay, although I was annoyed to find that the room maid had gone through my things and thrown away anything she thought to be rubbish (ie carrier bags which I was saving for packing my shoes, etc) despite the fact I had not put them in the rubbish bin. In order to wipe the bathroom vanity unit surface, she had picked up all my cosmetics, bottles etc, and plonked them in a jumble into my toiletries bag, and not replaced them afterwards. Some staff training needed here. Other staff I encountered on reception, etc were pleasant and helpful, although sometimes frazzled due to the sheer numbers of people they had to deal with. Overall, this is not somewhere I would choose to stay at again because the whole place is too huge and impersonal.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sandra M
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operation Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at SKYCITY hotel.
I appreciate receiving all guest feedback as it allows my team and I to identify areas for improvement to ensure we provide an exceptional guest experience to all.

I welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me.