“Auckland hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Melbourne, Australia
“Auckland hotel”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Skycity Hotel was a very nice hotel; clean, reasonable prices for a major city and
a good location - not far from the waterfront but in the city.
A viewing from the tower is a must but a bit scarey if you don't like heights.
There are different levels. However you get a 360o view of the city of Auckland - part which closed off for work on our trip. The blue coloured glass does spoil one's photos though. Seating is provided in the foyer near the reception desk although obscure.
Very helpful staff. A bit of a walk around to our room though from the lift. We did not have a great view but were still able to see out of the window. Breakfast was not included but there was a restaurant in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one near the lift if you have a lot of luggage.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheTessa
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear TheTessa,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at SKYCITY Hotel.

SKYCITY Hotel is located in the heart of Auckland City and we are fortunate to have a number of Auckland’s main tourist attractions on our doorstep. On your next stay please do not hesitate to contact our concierge team who will happily provide recommendations on must see attractions within Auckland City and SKYCITY.

At 328 metres, the Sky Tower is the tallest man-made structure in New Zealand and is certainly an iconic feature of Auckland’s Skyline. On your next visit to the Sky Tower I recommend you explore Auckland’s landscape with the new Eye in the Sky technology. Using a 42 inch touch screen panel you can view Auckland using the latest technology.

My team and I wish you a pleasant return trip to Melbourne and would hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel if you should return to Auckland City.

Admir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I managed a great deal for only $70 a night on Orbitz, and arrived on a TUE evening. Very impressed with the hotel. Compared to a US hotel, this is a $200 a night hotel. Excellent hotel with great *clean* rooms, and very centrally located in the heart of Auckland. Unfortunately, (and not the hotel's problem) the guy next to me was singing loudly and probably on his headphones and kept me awake until I finally called the front desk at 12:15am. They promptly attended to the issue. However, the advertised times of their gym re-construction from 9-4 on their website obviously were not passed on to the workmen who were banging away from 6:30am until well past 5:30pm. I arrived back at my room to not only hear the construction still going on at 5:30pm but the guy next door still singing loudly. I called the front desk and within 10 minutes they switched me to the other side of the hotel, in a better room AND sent up a bottle of champagne and a cheese platter. That was very generous of them. Then they mistakingly woke me up at 6:15am on THU morning with a "shuttle is waiting for you" call....I never ordered up a shuttle. 9am I get a very apologetic phone call + one free breakfast and one late checkout.

Lousy neighbor = not hotel's problem, but they dealt with it appropriately. Gym construction = hotel's problem, but they dealt with it appropriately. Wrong 6:15am wake up call - hotel's problem, but they dealt with it appropriately. All three times, the calls were dealt with professionally and courteously and (very importantly) near immediately.

So, would I come back, HELL YES! Should you - HELL YES! GREAT value for money, amenities are great and the wireless internet is FAST!

I'd normally only 4 stars, but their level of service excellence above the issues I had, makes me give them 5 stars!

Room Tip: Stay on the EAST side as the afternoon sun can really heat up the rooms if you prefer to not use the...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DrStorminSF
Dear DrStorminSF,

My team and I hope you had a lovely time during your stay in New Zealand.

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate receiving all forms of guest feedback as this allows us an opportunity to identify areas for improvement. I am delighted to read my team were able to rectify challenges as they arose and deliver a satisfactory outcome.

I wish you a pleasant return trip to San Francisco and would hope to welcome you back soon to SKYCITY Hotel if you should return to Auckland City.

Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We booked two premium king rooms with Sky City Hotel nfor two nights, 12/28 and 12/29 2012. We had a wonderful stay there and celebrated our belated 50th Wedding Aniversary and our daughter's birth day. We got a room with a view of the harbor bridge. I also got a pretty card with best wishes and delectable chocolates. The quality of service was very good. The front desk was very helpful . We had free internet in the rooms. The location was outstanding. The Sky tour was attached to the hotel . We went to the tower and had dinner in the revolving resturant on the sky deck. That was very convenient after the whole day, The room size was very good and well appointed.The front desk was very helpful. All the public transport were right outside the hotel. the waterfront was couple of blocks of walking distance. In the interest of our tight schedule we were able to go to many important places of attraction in two days at a minimal transport cost. The hotel Operation Manager made our stay extra special.The New Zealanders know how to treat their guests. We wish Skycity Hotel the best in 2013.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hena41328
Dear Hena41328,

Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary and a belated Happy Birthday to your daughter. I am delighted when my team and I can assist in making our guest’s special occasions memorable.

I have shared your TripAdvisor review with my team and I thank you for the personal recognition and your kind words, it is an absolute pleasure to look after my guests.

My team and I hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Best wishes,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This was the last hotel that we stayed in before coming home so I pushed the boat out and booked somewhere luxurious and expensive. Really nice room, with full length window that had a view out over the bridge and bay. Huge bed, felt like it was the size of two doubles~!
Really clean and well specced as you would expect from a high end hotel. The breakfast was fantastic, best of the trip. Also had use of a good gym across the road. Really is central for everything. Being situated right next to the Sky Tower you really can't get lost, just aim for the tallest building in the southern hemisphere! 1 thing to watch is the car park, the costs are quite expensive, it is in the basement of the complex. We got one ticket paid for by the hotel but the next day we had to pay for the whole day, it cost about £5 because we paid through the hotel, if ou pay at the barrier it costs about £20. Other than that it was spot on.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view on a high floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary C
Dear Gary C,

Thank you for your recent positing on TripAdvisor. I agree, the Skytower makes an excellent reference point from anywhere in Auckland.

I am very excited to inform you SKYCITY Hotel will soon be complete with a new cardio room which will be located on Hotel Level 4. Planning is now finished and we have started construction. We look forward to being able to offer this new facility to our guests from March 2013.

Here at SKYCITY we have a number of parking options available. Valet parking is available at $35 a day with unlimited entrance and exit privileges. If you prefer to Self Park please speak to our guest service representative who will issue you with an exit ticket for $20. Should you wish to discuss in more detail our front office team will gladly assist.

I hope you had a safe return journey to London and should you return to Auckland City my team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel.

Kind regards,
Mustique
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Located in the famous Sky Tower in the centre of Auckland, SkyCity is a hotel / casino / restaurant and entertainment complex, with an emphasis on customer service. Most of the staff speak one or more foreign languages. Rooms are very well presented (more than 320 guest rooms), and most have views over the harbour area. Whether you need a baby-sitter or a limo ride to the airport, it's all here and mostly 24 hours a day, it's great to get room service at 04:30 in the morning if you just got off a long flight. Business and conference needs are professionally attended to, the housekeepers will provide meticulous laundry and dry cleaning services, there is a bank, shops, a night club... the list goes on.... A SkyCity gift voucher makes a very welcome present...!! http://www.skycityauckland.co.nz

Room Tip: The rooms seem to be well insulated for noise, if you want city or harbour views take an upper floor...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank iwritetravel
Dear Iwritetravel,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at SKYCITY Hotel on Trip Advisor.

SKYCITY as an entertainment venue and tourism attraction has entertainment to suit all tastes and offers spectacular views of Auckland City. Enjoy late night DJ’s and great live bands at Red Humming bird and Twentyone. Chivas at the Deck have an awesome line up of DJ’s and musician combinations or enjoy the chilled sounds of Spanish guitar at Bellota. Please do not hesitate to contact our Concierge if you would like recommendations on where to spend your time during your stay at SKYCITY Hotel.

My team and I hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Hi there, i thought to share my wonderful experience i recieved from Skycity Hotel during my stay there on the 22nd December 2013. The customer experience and the quality of the service was second to none !! thanks to the Duty Manager on the nite Karan Singh who made our stay there extra special and memorable. He went out of his way to give us the ever lasting memory of my nieces 16th birthday. The room service the special cake made to order expecially for my niece.. thank you Skycity.. looking forward to stay again soon :D

A very happy customer - Nisha :)

Room Tip: have a chat to the friendly staff, they should be able to guide you in room selection best suited fo...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Neha96
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear Neha96,

Firstly, Happy 16th Birthday to your niece.

I am delighted to read Karan and my team assisted in making your niece’s birthday special. I believe it is the little touches that make the difference between a good stay and an exceptional stay and here at SKYCITY we strive for excellence. I was thrilled to share your comments with my team.

If you return to Auckland City my team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Having done budget for most of my trip, for a little more I booked SkyCity and wasn't disappointed. Very well appointed room, enormous bed and television. Unusually for New Zealand, free Internet as well, which was much appreciated. Great location for the top end of town and, of course, the casino.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tim R
Dear Tim R,

My team and I hope you had a great trip in New Zealand and you have returned safely to the UK. We were delighted you selected to stay at SKYCITY Hotel and would look forward to welcoming you back should you return to Auckland City.

Best wishes,